Power button only to wake up phone?

arhtard

Slacker
Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering...
When the screen is off, is there a way to make it only able to wake via the power button and NOT by any of the home keys?
I tried Reborn rom for a couple hours and really liked that feature, but I returned to Bumblebee. The reborn rom had this but the bumblebee doesnt. Is there anyway to add it to bumblebee?
I have a problem hitting any one of the 4 home keys and turning the screen back on while its in my pocket or holder.
Not that big of a deal, just wondering.
I really prefer the bumblebee rom over others and will continue using regardless.
Thanks in advance to all those that reply. :)

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering...
When the screen is off, is there a way to make it only able to wake via the power button and NOT by any of the home keys?
I tried Reborn rom for a couple hours and really liked that feature, but I returned to Bumblebee. The reborn rom had this but the bumblebee doesnt. Is there anyway to add it to bumblebee?
I have a problem hitting any one of the 4 home keys and turning the screen back on while its in my pocket or holder.
Not that big of a deal, just wondering.
I really prefer the bumblebee rom over others and will continue using regardless.
Thanks in advance to all those that reply. :)

I've been searching for a solution to this for awhile as well.

thought an app existed that could disable certain buttons when the screen is off.

havent found anything yet, but ill be watching this thread in case someone else does

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
http://forum.androidcentral.com/optimus-v-rooting-roms-hacks/96770-mod-remap-your-hardware-keys.html

If you like a certain roms key layout, extract their /system/usr/keylayout/thunder_keypad.kl file and place it in your rom. You can take it directly from their zip file.

The wake button issue has to deal with the tags WAKE and WAKE_DROPPED. If the button doesn't have either of those, it won't wake the phone. WAKE_DROPPED uses the button to turn on the phone but doesn't pass on the button's function for that one wake key press. WAKE, will wake up the phone and pass on the button's function.

Reactions: Kreatur3 and pre

arhtard

Slacker
Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
MMarz i just want to say thank you!!!
Your help is very appreciated!!!
I followed your easy to understand directions and ended up with perfect results!!!
Not only did I achieve what I was after, but I did a little customizing.
Thanks again!

oh and if you have any "No-Lock" apps set to "no lock" this over rides the system keyboard settings and this modification will not give you the results you are looking for, so disable the app and check results.

Man I love this forum!!!

israelsalinas14

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Use ButtonRemapper from the market if you don't understand how to do this by directly editing the files.

Thanks for the suggestion. But Id rather edit the files. Can I just replace the thunder_keypad.kl file through file expert? I'll get the file from reborn rom, then on file expert I'll cut the thunder_keypad.kl and then paste it where it goes. Will that work?

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. But Id rather edit the files. Can I just replace the thunder_keypad.kl file through file expert? I'll get the file from reborn rom, then on file expert I'll cut the thunder_keypad.kl and then paste it where it goes. Will that work?

If file expert has root access, yes it will work, but you have to mount /system as rw first.

Make sure to change the permission on the file as well. Pasting from the sd card usually changes the access permissions. You'll want it to be "rw-r--r--".

If none of that makes sense, use adb as described in the link I gave above or ButtonRemapper as JerryScript suggested.

arhtard

Slacker
Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok so here is my first attempt to be helpful here in the forums.
I hope you find it somewhat useful.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

For anyone not understanding the previous directions to do this mod, I have uploaded a folder with the mod file and a text file with directions which I will also paste here.

Please note this is not a method that I discovered but found thanks to mmarz linking a post by sblood86.
here is that link http://forum.androidcentral.com/optimus-v-rooting-roms-hacks/96770-mod-remap-your-hardware-keys.html

now here are the instructions that I have tried and succeeded with....

**Optimus V only** key pad mod

**3 out of 4 front "home" keys + side volume up/volume down keys + voice dial key + camera capture key disabled while sleeping except the menu key**
**the left "menu key" and top power button will wake the phone**
**the voice dialing key is on the phone side by the camera capture button**

to install via adb:

**COPY the "thunder_keypad.kl" attached file to your " \android\adb\ " folder**
be in the "adb" directory in COMMAND PROMPT -- (example) -- c:\android\adb -- (IN COMMAND PROMPT IN WINDOWS)
make sure to have -- USB DEBUGGING ACTIVATED -- or you will not connect via adb!

1) type " adb devices " and recieve confirmation message that you are connected, should show a device

2) type " adb remount " and recieve "remount successful" message

3) type " adb push thunder_keypad.kl /system/usr/keylayout/ " and recieve message saying (example only) 119 KB/s (1586 bytes in 0.013s)

4) reboot system

***finished***

(had to make it a zip file, couldn't just upload the folder)

Last edited:

sblood86

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok so here is my first attempt to be helpful here in the forums.
I hope you find it somewhat useful.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

For anyone not understanding the previous directions to do this mod, I have uploaded a folder with the mod file and a text file with directions which I will also paste here.

Please note this is not a method that I discovered but found thanks to mmarz linking a post by sblood86.
here is that link http://forum.androidcentral.com/optimus-v-rooting-roms-hacks/96770-mod-remap-your-hardware-keys.html

now here are the instructions that I have tried and succeeded with....

**Optimus V only** key pad mod

**3 out of 4 front "home" keys + side volume up/volume down keys + voice dial key + camera capture key disabled while sleeping except the menu key**
**the left "menu key" and top power button will wake the phone**
**the voice dialing key is on the phone side by the camera capture button**

to install via adb:

**COPY the "thunder_keypad.kl" attached file to your " \android\adb\ " folder**
be in the "adb" directory in COMMAND PROMPT -- (example) -- c:\android\adb -- (IN COMMAND PROMPT IN WINDOWS)
make sure to have -- USB DEBUGGING ACTIVATED -- or you will not connect via adb!

1) type " adb devices " and recieve confirmation message that you are connected, should show a device

2) type " adb remount " and recieve "remount successful" message

3) type " adb push thunder_keypad.kl /system/usr/keylayout/ " and recieve message saying (example only) 119 KB/s (1586 bytes in 0.013s)

4) reboot system

***finished***

(had to make it a zip file, couldn't just upload the folder)

Hey nicely done. I would like to add that the side buttons are not fully disabled with that current kl file, while the camera and voice button won't do anything anyway, the volume buttons will still respond with the screen disabled. To disable those you would want to add WAKE_DROPPED after both volume keys.

The above method will definitely work, we could also make this flashable and add it to my thread if there is a demand for this configuration.

Honestly I have no problems making more flashable zips and adding them, I just couldn't really think of what key combinations people would want :D

Reactions: arhtard

ksj

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey nicely done. I would like to add that the side buttons are not fully disabled with that current kl file, while the camera and voice button won't do anything anyway, the volume buttons will still respond with the screen disabled. To disable those you would want to add WAKE_DROPPED after both volume keys.

The above method will definitely work, we could also make this flashable and add it to my thread if there is a demand for this configuration.

Honestly I have no problems making more flashable zips and adding them, I just couldn't really think of what key combinations people would want :D

A flashable zip would be AWESOME!

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Copying that file from Reborn to BB worked perfectly...after I read the part about changing permissions lol. Always wanted this for bb but always forgot to ask when I was on here. Thanks guys for your input. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treoluv