Anyone with update finding wireless tether no longer works on no?

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Anyone with update finding wireless tether no longer works on

No, we are annoyed because isp's are not supposed to be able to charge you different amounts based on what you choose to do with the data connection, but that is what turning off tethering does. I pay for a certain gb of data a month and if i want to use that to load stuff on a phone screen or a computer screen, that should be my choice. If we let isp's determine that (and yes a carrier is an isp, that is why your phone has an ip address) then they can dictate what content you can view when you can view it and how and that is a dangerous situation.

Then with that argument, you should be more concerned that every smartphone on Sprint has that restriction. There are ways around it if you so chose.

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site

If we let isp's determine that (and yes a carrier is an isp, that is why your phone has an ip address)

I love this definition of an ISP.

By this definition, my router is an ISP because it gives my computers IP addresses.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

By this definition, my router is an ISP because it gives my computers IP addresses.
Um. No.

Your router is a device that connects to an ISP, just like the phone is a device that connects to an ISP. ISP stands for Internet Service Provider. You get data, you get internet. Internet is provided as a service from an entity called....

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

....an ISP.

Johnbibbs

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, I saw it too - at the Sprint store in Philadelphia; beneath the phone, features were listed, among those was free tethering.

I saw this in Tampa as well. The salesman also touted it since it was the only phone that had free tethering.

My Dad also saw it in Dallas as he called me about it when he was signing up for Sprint and deciding between the NS and the Evo 3D

I feel like I got in to the middle of a bait and switch. Of course it's 2 weeks after my 30 day trial is over.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe this. The promo very well could have listed tethering as a feature, but I highly doubt it said free.

You can say we didn't see it, and that's fine you are allowed to be wrong.

Last edited:

Scottish

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Um. No.

Your router is a device that connects to an ISP, just like the phone is a device that connects to an ISP. ISP stands for Internet Service Provider. You get data, you get internet. Internet is provided as a service from an entity called....

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

....an ISP.
Dude, your sarcasm detector is malfunctioning. You should have it serviced.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

Rather than bickering about it, Pix or it didn't happen. If they are advertising FREE (<--- Thats the keyword in debate) tethering, they didn't run around the country and remove the signs over night. Go to the Sprint store and take a picture of a sign/flier/promo/anything that shows the NS4G has free tethering. If you post a picture, it's kind of hard to argue that it didn't happen :p

The debate though is over the word "free". All android phones are advertised with the capability of tethering. If you can post a picture of Sprint advertising the phone as having free tethering, you have a case to approach retentions and ask for tethering to be added to your account at no charge. If they refuse to comply, you might be able to file a grievance with various consumer protection agencies. Probably won't get far because you signed a binding contract which says tethering is not free but it's worth a shot.

Or we could all just sit on the forums arguing about it .... either way lol

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

Getting an ip address is NOT the definition of an isp BUT you do get an ip address BECAUSE they're an isp. It is a direct function of how an isp gives you internet connections.

Scottish

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

If that was meant to be sarcasm, it wasn't very intelligent because it was born of ignorance of technology.
Oy, dude. He was MAKING FUN of the poster he quoted, who implied that a wireless carrier fit the definition of an ISP because they provide you with an IP address.

Scottish

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Getting an ip address is NOT the definition of an isp BUT you do get an ip address BECAUSE they're an isp. It is a direct function of how an isp gives you internet connections.
Look, here's my question to you: Who is claiming that a wireless carrier is NOT an ISP? Why do you feel the need to loudly reiterate that they are ISPs?

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Well whether or not you believe does not change the fact that it was there. For what it's worth, I am being truthful, it was there.
I don't believe this because a month or so ago I posted an internal Sprint document stating that they were aware that users were getting the free tethering service BUT it would be getting corrected and to educate customers that they would need to pay for this service. This communication was released a week prior to the phone being launched. I'd been warning this would happen for quite some time now.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

I have the GRL90 release, with baseband D720SPRKE5 and wifi tethering works. The only difference from my phone and stock is i am using Netarchy's 1.3.7 CFS kernel. I just tossed a droid incredible into airplane mode to kill all radios, turned on WiFi, connected to my NS4G, and browsed multiple websites.

Looks like a custom kernel will fix the tethering issue. Besides Netarchy's kernel, i read people have the same results flashing the matr1x kernel. Also have read that 4G tethering works with these kernels now after this update but 4G doesn't penetrate my office so i cant test.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

Guess I'm sort of a n00b when it comes to Android, but how does "free tethering" = "pure Google experience"? Is a "pure Google experience" the ability to open the metaphorical taps on another carrier's data flow?

Last edited:

MarkHirt

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site

Maybe Sprint should do this.. Give you back the free tether and do like the rest of the carriers and raise the data fee for everyone.

DeathsArrow

May 16, 2010
Visit site

I'm assuming that the thought is that since tethering is built into Android as of I believe Gingerbread that it's part of the "pure Google experience".

jimmycinla

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

I don't believe this because a month or so ago I posted an internal Sprint document stating that they were aware that users were getting the free tethering service BUT it would be getting corrected and to educate customers that they would need to pay for this service. This communication was released a week prior to the phone being launched. I'd been warning this would happen for quite some time now.

It was probably an authorized Sprint dealer, some of those guys will do anything to make you sign.

jimmycinla

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

I have the GRL90 release, with baseband D720SPRKE5 and wifi tethering works. The only difference from my phone and stock is i am using Netarchy's 1.3.7 CFS kernel. I just tossed a droid incredible into airplane mode to kill all radios, turned on WiFi, connected to my NS4G, and browsed multiple websites.

Looks like a custom kernel will fix the tethering issue. Besides Netarchy's kernel, i read people have the same results flashing the matr1x kernel. Also have read that 4G tethering works with these kernels now after this update but 4G doesn't penetrate my office so i cant test.
Thanks.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

Maybe Sprint should do this.. Give you back the free tether and do like the rest of the carriers and raise the data fee for everyone.

Right, because letting you use the exact amount of data per month that you paid for will cost Sprint money.:D

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Right, because letting you use the exact amount of data per month that you paid for will cost Sprint money.:D

And what is the exact amount you are paying for on an everything data plan? Also, have you read your signed contract?

(not trying to be snarky, but there are things you have agreed to in order to use their service)