OTA push problems!

scupperplug

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi All-

I rooted my bolt with the auto root method in this forum back in May and its been great. BUT VZW is pushing the OTA to my phone and I finally relented last night and let it download. Once it restarted the phone would only display the little android guy and the exclamation point. Had to reboot it from boot loader to get the phone to work again but it got wiped. So no problem right? NOT... VZW is still pushing the OTA to me as of this morning. I'm concerned I will not be able to use this phone now. I read the un-root directions but it seems far too complicated for me to un-root the phone.. I need help! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Install a rom or debloat so that the ota update does not take.

Hi All-

I rooted my bolt with the auto root method in this forum back in May and its been great. BUT VZW is pushing the OTA to my phone and I finally relented last night and let it download. Once it restarted the phone would only display the little android guy and the exclamation point. Had to reboot it from boot loader to get the phone to work again but it got wiped. So no problem right? NOT... VZW is still pushing the OTA to me as of this morning. I'm concerned I will not be able to use this phone now. I read the un-root directions but it seems far too complicated for me to un-root the phone.. I need help! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
First off, if you get to the bootloader, does it say "S-Off" or "S-on"?*

If it's "S-On", then you're phone has already been UN-rooted from the OTA. If not, you're still good to go.

Second, if you are still with S-Off, I'd try to install a new ROM on that puppy as soon as possible. Simply removing bloatware doesn't seem to be stopping Verizon this time...they really seem determined to get this update pushed.

If you want to keep things simple, I'd recommend installing BAMF 1.8.6
[FROYO] Das BAMF 1.8.6

with the MR2 Radio:
MR2 OTA radio, PASSED 1.170.605.0, 1.39.00.0627r, works with MR2, GB, or Hybrid roms (bamf 1.8.6+)
Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
MD5 - EB806E7F0EAF28F1A2C7000E24B5134A

- Feel free to install any ROM you want...but most do now require the newer radio.

- If you're not sure about flashing a ROM or Radio file, read the stickies in the Rooting sub-forum or ask questions here!

- If your phone has been unrooted by the OTA, you'll probably need to re-root the phone, which you can do the same way to did the first time

*Make sure you don't have any files named "PG05IMG.zip" on the root of your SD Card before booting into the bootloader!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks- I just read those links I think its too complicated for me. Im a one click kind of guy uugh :(

Probably would have helped it I had written THIS before you decided to root...

Either way, you did go through the process once, so you're obviously not completely tech challenged...I stand by my initial device. It's really not that difficult, as long as you're patient and can follow instructions. It will probably be easier to install a new a ROM than fight with the OTA update and/or try to fix a jacked-up phone later if the OTA does install...

1. Backup your apps and settings
2. Download the ROM you want (and updated Radio)
3. Flash Radio in HBOOT (Bootloader), flash ROM in Recovery
4. Restore your apps and settings

OK, that's the real short version...but that is basically all there is to it. If I didn't link to instructions, you can find them in the stickied posts. If you have questions, ask first, act later -- there are a lot of helpful people around here...

Or...you can just un-root, accept the OTA and be done with it. Your choice.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
If you have Titanium Backup you can freeze the "Updater" on your phone. You will not receive any updates pushed by Verizon. In my case (Droid X) the updater file is called "updater 2.2.1"

Grimsin

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to update the phones base version? like if you use the auto root and it down grades then re upgrades to what ever version is included with the auto root is it possible to upgrade passed that version after root? I have this same problem as above where it errors on trying to install the push from verizon which is normally no big deal but i would like to go romless with just a rooted phone with the latest update. Is it possible?

scupperplug

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
If you have Titanium Backup you can freeze the "Updater" on your phone. You will not receive any updates pushed by Verizon. In my case (Droid X) the updater file is called "updater 2.2.1"
Thanks! Just bought Titanium BU and froze the updater. Will let you know if it works or not.

bulldogmoe7

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
adding a ROM is way simpler that rooting, so if you can root you can ROM.
download ROM of choice to your computer, put on desktop for easy find. hook up phone to comuputer. enable disk drive on phone this will pop up a screen on your computer that will show files on your phone.
drag and drop or copy paste "new ROM" to root of sd card, NOT IN A FILE. wait till done, unplug phone. boot into recovery. can be done through ROM manager, if not loaded from market load now....... now boot into recovery. install zip for SD card, scroll till you find ROM (damf, LGB, gingeritus etc) waht what ever rom you load, click the power button, then wammo new ROM installed. clear cache and dalvik and wipe data, dalvik is under advanced settings. that is the basics of doing a ROM

Reactions: scupperplug

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
adding a ROM is way simpler that rooting, so if you can root you can ROM.
download ROM of choice to your computer, put on desktop for easy find. hook up phone to comuputer. enable disk drive on phone this will pop up a screen on your computer that will show files on your phone.
drag and drop or copy paste "new ROM" to root of sd card, NOT IN A FILE. wait till done, unplug phone. boot into recovery. can be done through ROM manager, if not loaded from market load now....... now boot into recovery. install zip for SD card, scroll till you find ROM (damf, LGB, gingeritus etc) waht what ever rom you load, click the power button, then wammo new ROM installed. clear cache and dalvik and wipe data, dalvik is under advanced settings. that is the basics of doing a ROM

This is mostly correct, there is a guide written by cyber warrior stickied up top that you can read for in depth instructions on flashing roms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seroo