4K Displays : The good, bad and where do you see it going?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
As the title implies. 4K displays is upon us and along with the actual hardware is the apps and games to support this new technology.

Do you find this a marketing scheme to sell a device or does it really give you more than what 720 and 1080 p displays are offering?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Depends on the screen size, really. On phones and tablets, I think it's a gimmick for sure. For laptops, QHD or 3K isn't unheard of on a lot of recent models, and you can tell the difference for certain tasks. TVs, again depends on the size, but since they are generally a lot larger than laptops and desktop monitors, I do think it is a nice upgrade over 1080P.

I'm more concerned with accuracy of the display in most cases (ironic now since I didn't really care about it when I bought my S4 with an AMOLED display :p).

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

Kaiser Droid

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Phone and tablets? Unnecessary to say the least. TVs and larger monitors? Yes. But the biggest thing is accuracy, what's screen resolution if you don't have a nice accurate display.

Gunny94

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I honestly think, that 4k is way to much on phones.

2k is the perfect display to have for the next 2-3 years in my opinion.

But so far it seems Note 5 could have 4k. We'll compare when it arrives.

MitchTalmadge

May 18, 2015
Visit site
I have the G3 and honestly would rather have a 1080p screen if it meant longer battery life. The 4K screen is amazing when watching 4K videos, but I never do, so it's a gimmick to me :p

Kenna Garcia

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Thats a good point, wouldnt a 4k screen just kill your battery life?? or is that not a factor when it comes to battery life? I mean if brightness alone kills your battery, I would imagine that a 4k screen would destroy it pretty quickly. Either way, 4k is unnecessary right now, like gunny said, maybe in 2-3 years.

ver_1_alpha

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I prefer 2K for phones and tablets.
For TV 4K better. For computer screen 4K better, but not for games. When you play in game you not pay attention on the small details.
May be also 4K good for reading on 10 inch tables.
I'm not sure that 4k on small screen can show all advantages. But 4K devices consume more energy, battery life is more important for me.

Terodius

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
4K on a tablet would be justified I think, but it's just overkill on a phone. QHD is already indistinguishable from 1080p for the vast majority of people.

silver3drago

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
4K is definitely better than 1080p, especially in pixel density. I do worry if we'll get the point where resolutions are so high we can't even tell, but 4K is a definite improvement, if just for visual clarity.