[REVIEW] Adonit Jot Pro Capacitive Stylus

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys and gals. I recently have had the pleasure to try out the Adonit Jot Pro fine tip capacitive stylus with a dampening tip. This stylus can be picked up at Shop Android for the reduced price of $29.99 USD. It comes in a variety of colors, but the one I will be reviewing here is a lovely red.

First Impressions

Upon receiving the stylus in the mail, my very first impression was that the packaging was very minimal. No excess boxage, straight to the point.
It took me a bit longer than it should have to remove the factory adhesive keeping the case closed, but I take full responsibility for that :p
At first glance, the stylus can easily be mistaken as a regular, albeit stylish, ink pen. It is cased in an aluminum body, with a soft touch grip, and threads at either end to secure the cap when the stylus is either in or out of use. It does not include any additional nibs, or disks. A minimal and not too obtrusive branding can be found at one end of the stylus, while on the other end you will find the one feature that really sets this stylus apart from it's other capacitive competition.

jot.jpg

Features

The Adonit Jot Pro features a small ball point tip capped with a clear disk and capacitive center. This clear disk at the end allows the capacitive tip to cover the amount of screen radius required to create a response, all the while keeping the precise use of the capacitive center by allowing the user to see through it for a more decided placement on the screen. This clear disk rotates on the end of the ballpoint, allowing for more "natural angles" of writing. Another surprisingly useful feature is the "dampening" tip. This reduces the noise of the stylus on the screen, and helps to imitate the feel of a pen or pencil on a paper pad. The Adonit Jot Pro has a magnetic body for convenient storage atop an ipad or other metal surface.

jot3.jpg
jot4.jpg
jot7.jpg

Feel in Hand

The Adonit Jot Pro has a very solid feel in hand. While made out of aluminum, it is not overtly weighted, and feels pretty natural in the hand, much like a regular pen would. The grip allows for comfort over the duration of use, and supplies more secure holding of the stylus. The length and thickness are very similar to that of a nicer ball point pen.

jot6.jpg

In Use

The Adonit Jot Pro is very accurate for a capacitive stylus. I tested it out on a 5" screen with decent results, and I definitely feel like it would be better suited for a larger screen, but it brings the enjoyability of using a stylus to a smaller device with ease.

Pressure

The Adonit Jot Pro responds well on the screen without the need of excessive pressure, and creates a solid and fluid response. Due to it's metal nib opposed to mesh or rubber, it is steady and unyielding. The build of the stylus also allows you to apply pressure without fearing damage to the device or stylus.

Angle Accessibility

The ball point joint connected to the capacitive disk allows for flexibility of movement, but I have found if extended at too far of an angle, the stylus will not register. It allows for some decent angles that can be beneficial in shading, but not so much that it allows for fully comfortable hand writing. If extended too far, the nib won't register, or will create inconsistent marks.

Accuracy

The tip of the nib is fine enough that you can pick up the tip of the stylus and reconnect to the last point drawn atleast 8 times out of 10. The stylus creates a solid and accurate line nearly every time, when held at an appropriate angle. The clear disk is almost unnoticeable, and allows you to see the dedicated placement of the nib.

Pros

Most accurate capacitive stylus
Well built and functional
Fine tip
Comfortable in the hand and over extended use
Magnetic for easy storage

Cons

On the higher end of a cheap market
Angles are mediocre at best
No pressure detection (Wacom technology)
Tip feels brittle/ no replacement disks included

Conclusion

7/10

Considering the market of capacitive styli, I fully believe that the Adonit Jot Pro is worth the purchase, and would definitely recommend it. It may be better suited for an artist than someone who intends to use it primarily for note taking or writing, and would most likely work better on a tablet than a phone. But overall, the stylus works better and feels better than any other capacitive stylus I have used and allowed me to both write and sketch almost painlessly on a device that was once incapable of doing so.

Screenshot_2013-09-04-20-41-34.jpgScreenshot_2013-09-04-22-32-13.jpgScreenshot_2013-09-04-20-25-44.jpg

Last edited: