Are SD cards worth giving up

android jack

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Basically I want the HTC One but one requirement it doesn't meet is an external storage a.k.a SD Card (might be wrong wording) I have had a sd card for a while starting at a 4gb then to a 16gb which came with my rezound.

One feature I like of having an SD card is inserting the card where I can't simply connect a usb cord to access storage, like a Wii among other things. Plus if my phone fails to turn on I can simply remove the card with all or most of my stuff.

So should I go for it, or go for another phone?

Any phone suggestions welcome along with pros of having or not a sd card if you want.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The main reason I would use an external SD card is to store a lot of my music locally, or perhaps store movies that I might want to watch, so that I don't have to stream over the web and use data. So if you do a lot of that, then go for a phone that has SD support. As for documents, unless you have really sensitive documents on your phone (which isn't a great place to have them anyway), you should probably just use the cloud (whether it's Google Drive, Box, Dropbox, Skydrive, or what have you) for storage. This is part of the reason why Google and certain phone manufacturers are moving away from SD support.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Beginning with Android 4.0, the support for SD cards was dropped. Sure Samsung has SD card support, but they force it to happen, and most of the time, when you force a PC to do something, bad things start to happen.
To a degree, it already has. The forums are getting hit with people reporting SD card issues.

Now, don't get me wrong. I like SD cards. Used them on my S3 for ROM backups, music and pictures. Shifted to the Moto X, and it is a fine device; in some ways more superior to the S3. But I do miss that SD card.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

android jack

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I get and appreciate your replies, and one thing I forgot to put, makes it easier to move files from one device to another. And by files I mean docs, music, photos, videos etc.

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Ugh, pulling SD card support infuriates me. I can't begin to describe how awesome it was that when I moved to my Note 3, I was able to pop my card in and had all my data. I do recommend them but I am kind of a Samsung fanboy. My N7 is really my only non Samsung product and I've been contemplating replacing it with a Galaxy Tab or Note tablet

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
And my 2 cents, if your data speeds aren't always great (or if they're incredibly bad like mine) and/or if you ever may have a computer failure where you don't have access to your computer for any length of time, go for the sdcard.

If neither of those is a concern, you could probably live without one, as long as a cloud is always going to work well.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante