Unable to Format SD Card

superjoe95

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a SanDisk Ultra 64gb micro SD XC memory card and I'm all of the sudden unable to delete anything off it, I can't format it using windows, I can't format using my Galaxy S3. Windows simply says it can't format the card. My S3 unmounts the card and then remounts it and does nothing. I used a program on my computer called SD Formatter and it said the card was write protected. I slid the little switch on the side in both positions and it's the same thing. Is there anything else I can use/do to format this card!?

superjoe95

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
That's getting a little on the older side, especially if you use it a lot.
That's surprising. I read something yesterday saying that the average lifespan for these cards is around 10 years. I'll admit though I didn't always unmount it from my phone when removing it. Maybe I did that one too many times, who knows. I'm going to look into Sandisk's warranty program over the weekend to see if i can maybe have it replaced.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I saw some figure like that--but it was on the SD industry website, so it might have been a bit on the optimistic side. Maybe they last that long if you're using them with PCs and cameras--but there's something about how Android devices (especially Samsung) interface with SD cards that seems to have more chance of messing things up.

andrewsean7830

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
If your memory card has suffered from physical damage and is unreadable, the chances of recovery are very low. You could try one of the data recovery tools shown below to see if it can recover anything. If all programs fail and the drive cannot be recognized, it might be better to take it to data recovery experts, who can try to retrieve the data in a lab environment.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khalio1234