LG Tone Infinim Review

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
IMG_20151212_161017691.jpg

These days, I don’t spend too much time worrying about headphones. I did give over the ear headphones a try with the Audio Technica ATH-M50X’s, but could never get the band in a comfortable enough position that it didn’t bother me or feel like it was going to fall off. I have a pair of wired Klipsch headphones that I won’t bother replacing unless they get lost or go through the washer twice (damn things are so tough, one trip through won’t kill them). For about two years, I was using the Jaybird Bluebuds X and was very happy with them.

Then, one day I was lazily walking through Best Buy and I found a pre-owned set of LG Tone Infinim headphones. I didn’t have any problems with my Jaybird’s, though the battery life started gradually getting shorter and shorter. I heard some claims of the Infinim’s legendary battery life (and did a quick glance at reviews while standing in Best Buy), and figured for the discounted price it was worth trying them out.

Even though I bought mine used, the battery life lived up to the promise. LG claims the headphones are good for 14 hours of battery life while listening to music (I’m assuming at moderate volume), and that’s very close to what I get. I’ve never tried listening to music for 14 hours straight, but I do have them going for about an hour in the gym each weekday morning. Combine that with phone calls and a little music listening some nights, and I can get the headphones to last about two weeks or so per charge.

Calls and music sound great too. My ears are far from perfect, but I was able to notice more details in my music when listening through the LG Infinim’s than I was with Jaybird’s Bluebuds X. I had no problem hearing the other person on my call, and the microphone on the Infinim’s made me sound great too. The microphone also does a good job transmitting voice commands to my Moto X.

The LG Infinim’s connect via Bluetooth, and pairing took no more than a few seconds on either of the phones I paired them with. Once paired, they connect to your device within a second a turning them on. The headphones come with a few different sizes of rubber eartips, but while the medium size are a near perfect fit for me, I switched them with a pair of foam Comfy eartips for extra security.

IMG_20151212_161042025.jpg

The most unique aspect of these headphones will be the retractable cable. To that end, I never had any problems getting them to reel out and back into their housing. I was initially worried about how much the large plastic housing would bounce around on my neck, but even while running they bounce around as much or less than other headphones. On a negative note, the headphones fall out every single time I do tricep pullovers (ADD LINK), but on every other workout I do they stay in place just fine.

Prices on the LG Tone Infinim’s are all over the place. LG’s site lists them at $150, while the Best Buy I was in them had new ones for $120. Since my pair was open box, I got them for $88. Watching Amazon the past few weeks, I’ve seen them as high as the $150 official price, and as low as $84.50. Do some shopping around, and maybe wait a bit if you can’t find a low enough price. At the $88 I paid, they are well worth it even if you already have a pair of Bluetooth headphones. At $150, they’re worth it if you don’t already have a set of wireless headphones, or if the battery life is starting to go down hill.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Great review. I bought the Tone Pros for my kids a few days ago as Christmas gifts. After reading up on the Infinim I decided to buy a pair for myself and compare it with the Pro. Glad I did. The sound difference is night and day. I ended up taking the pros back and getting these.

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
After reading this review, I actually ended up getting a Tone Pro from Groupon Goods, and the sound is quite impressive. So if the Infinim's have even better sound quality, then that's quite a feat!

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Great review. I bought the Tone Pros for my kids a few days ago as Christmas gifts. After reading up on the Infinim I decided to buy a pair for myself and compare it with the Pro. Glad I did. The sound difference is night and day. I ended up taking the pros back and getting these.

Posted via the Android Central App

Glad I could help!