Just got one!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My C720 just arrived today, and I am currently typing this post with it. Very nice so far!

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
My C720 just arrived today, and I am currently typing this post with it. Very nice so far!

Congratulations! I just got one yesterday. So far, it has been really good. The battery life is the best that I have had on a laptop. I like that there is a dedicated search button too. I know that's small, but I have found myself using it a lot.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Same here, using it a lot and really enjoying it. So much leaner and quicker than my Windows laptop!

Posted via Android Central App

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Same here, using it a lot and really enjoying it. So much leaner and quicker than my Windows laptop!

When you really think about it, the Chromebook is a genius device. Google has created an environment where you only need the web. It makes the whole experience seemless and fast. And you aren't paying an arm and a leg for it.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I bought a C720 myself in early January with fantasy football winnings (kind of a Christmas gift to myself).

I already have 2 Windows computers, a desktop machine I use for work and a 17" laptop, so I certainly didn't *NEED* a new computer... but the $200 price tag was very attractive, and I really wanted something lighter and more portable than the giant 17" laptop I already owned...AND that could support more "desktop" features than my Android tablet

It was kind of an experiment for me, I really just wanted to see just what a Chromebook could do, and even though I assumed I wouldn't use it all that often, I figured what the heck since it was so inexpensive.

Long story short, I absolutely love it, and am shocked by just how much I do use it. The battery life on the C720 is fantastic, it boots up in matter of seconds, it runs very smoothly, and video playback is surprisingly decent...with the HDMI output, I've even used it when traveling to stream Netflix to a TV monitor, which worked great. The C720 isn't much heavier or larger than my Nexus 10 with it's case on, so it's very easy to travel with...and it's quick boot-up times make it very easy to grab any time I need to jump online quickly. I'm even able to use the secure shell and remote desktop apps to access what I need to for work.

To be honest, I don't think that I could make a Chromebook my *ONLY* computer, but it certainly is a great compliment to what I already have...and I'll definitely be considering Chromebooks/Chromeboxes when I make purchases in the future.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I haven't measured a full charge yet, but I'm getting at least 6 hours of use, with battery to spare.

CHIP72

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
When you really think about it, the Chromebook is a genius device. Google has created an environment where you only need the web. It makes the whole experience seamless and fast. And you aren't paying an arm and a leg for it.

Your last two sentences are why both Microsoft and Apple should be concerned about chromebooks. Chromebooks not only are potentially laptop replacements, they are also potentially tablet replacements for people who use tablets primarily as casual internet devices.

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm torn on which Chromebook to get, reviews seem to be very good on all of the models that are available ... decisions, decisions :confused:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have the Acer and don't have the HP, but from what I have read, the Acer should give you better performance. The HP doesn't have a Haswell CPU, but it does have a nice screen, and overall looks nicer.

CHIP72

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
All of the above I guess .... I am down to the Acer C720 and HP 11, decisions, decisions

Acer > HP
*Price ($200 vs $280)
*Battery Life (8.5 hours vs 5 hours)

HP > Acer
*Display
*Weight (2.3 pounds vs 2.8 pounds)
*Availability of micro USB charging
*LTE option (though you'll pay more or have to start a contract)

Acer = HP
*RAM (2 GB)

If the choice was mine and I was going for an introductory chromebook, I'd go with the Acer. By contrast, if you are already familiar with chromebooks, I'd go with the HP (though the poor battery life would be an issue).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't you say the Acer's Haswell processor also has the upper hand on the HP's Samsung Exynos processor?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Wouldn't you say the Acer's Haswell processor also has the upper hand on the HP's Samsung Exynos processor?

Yeah, that's what gives it the big edge in battery life. Haswell CPUs are more energy efficient

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis