Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Just got one!

My C720 just arrived today, and I am currently typing this post with it. Very nice so far!
    Darth Spock and A895 like this.

Global Posts
    22,140 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Just got one!

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    My C720 just arrived today, and I am currently typing this post with it. Very nice so far!
    Sweet! Can't wait to get one for myself.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Darth Spock likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

It really is an excellent deal at $200.

Global Posts
    22,140 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

It really is an excellent deal at $200.
    Noe I just have to come up with an extra $200...lol

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi

Congrats!
    B. Diddy likes this.

Congratulations! I just got one yesterday. So far, it has been really good. The battery life is the best that I have had on a laptop. I like that there is a dedicated search button too. I know that's small, but I have found myself using it a lot.
    B. Diddy likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Same here, using it a lot and really enjoying it. So much leaner and quicker than my Windows laptop!

Posted via Android Central App

Same here, using it a lot and really enjoying it. So much leaner and quicker than my Windows laptop!

When you really think about it, the Chromebook is a genius device. Google has created an environment where you only need the web. It makes the whole experience seemless and fast. And you aren't paying an arm and a leg for it.

I bought a C720 myself in early January with fantasy football winnings (kind of a Christmas gift to myself).

I already have 2 Windows computers, a desktop machine I use for work and a 17" laptop, so I certainly didn't *NEED* a new computer... but the $200 price tag was very attractive, and I really wanted something lighter and more portable than the giant 17" laptop I already owned...AND that could support more "desktop" features than my Android tablet

It was kind of an experiment for me, I really just wanted to see just what a Chromebook could do, and even though I assumed I wouldn't use it all that often, I figured what the heck since it was so inexpensive.

Long story short, I absolutely love it, and am shocked by just how much I do use it. The battery life on the C720 is fantastic, it boots up in matter of seconds, it runs very smoothly, and video playback is surprisingly decent...with the HDMI output, I've even used it when traveling to stream Netflix to a TV monitor, which worked great. The C720 isn't much heavier or larger than my Nexus 10 with it's case on, so it's very easy to travel with...and it's quick boot-up times make it very easy to grab any time I need to jump online quickly. I'm even able to use the secure shell and remote desktop apps to access what I need to for work.

To be honest, I don't think that I could make a Chromebook my *ONLY* computer, but it certainly is a great compliment to what I already have...and I'll definitely be considering Chromebooks/Chromeboxes when I make purchases in the future.
    B. Diddy and sandyvern like this.

What kind of usage battery time are you guys getting? Mine always has a remaining of about 3.5 hours. Thanks.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I haven't measured a full charge yet, but I'm getting at least 6 hours of use, with battery to spare.

Global Posts
    997 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dkhmwilliams View Post
    When you really think about it, the Chromebook is a genius device. Google has created an environment where you only need the web. It makes the whole experience seamless and fast. And you aren't paying an arm and a leg for it.
    Your last two sentences are why both Microsoft and Apple should be concerned about chromebooks. Chromebooks not only are potentially laptop replacements, they are also potentially tablet replacements for people who use tablets primarily as casual internet devices.
    Android smartphones: Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid 2
    Android tablets: Asus Transformer Pad TF300T 16GB with keyboard dock
    B. Diddy and sandyvern like this.

Global Posts
    22,140 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Add me to the list! Love it so far!!!

Phone Timeline
    B. Diddy likes this.

Global Posts
    861 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'm torn on which Chromebook to get, reviews seem to be very good on all of the models that are available ... decisions, decisions
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

What's most important to you? Price, screen resolution, screen size, looks, build?

Global Posts
    861 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

What's most important to you? Price, screen resolution, screen size, looks, build?
    All of the above I guess .... I am down to the Acer C720 and HP 11, decisions, decisions
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

I have the Acer and don't have the HP, but from what I have read, the Acer should give you better performance. The HP doesn't have a Haswell CPU, but it does have a nice screen, and overall looks nicer.

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    997 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pounder001 View Post
    All of the above I guess .... I am down to the Acer C720 and HP 11, decisions, decisions
    Acer > HP
    *Price ($200 vs $280)
    *Battery Life (8.5 hours vs 5 hours)

HP > Acer
    *Display
    *Weight (2.3 pounds vs 2.8 pounds)
    *Availability of micro USB charging
    *LTE option (though you'll pay more or have to start a contract)

Acer = HP
    *RAM (2 GB)

If the choice was mine and I was going for an introductory chromebook, I'd go with the Acer. By contrast, if you are already familiar with chromebooks, I'd go with the HP (though the poor battery life would be an issue).
    Thanked by:
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Wouldn't you say the Acer's Haswell processor also has the upper hand on the HP's Samsung Exynos processor?

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Wouldn't you say the Acer's Haswell processor also has the upper hand on the HP's Samsung Exynos processor?

Yeah, that's what gives it the big edge in battery life. Haswell CPUs are more energy efficient

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Aren't they faster as well, or is it a wash in that respect?

Global Posts
    997 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Yeah, that's what gives it the big edge in battery life. Haswell CPUs are more energy efficient.
    I'm not sure that's actually correct; ARM-powered chromebooks also tend to be lighter than similar-sized Intel-powered chromebooks. The batteries used in ARM chromebooks may be smaller than their Intel chromebook counterparts.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Quote Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
    I'm not sure that's actually correct; ARM-powered chromebooks also tend to be lighter than similar-sized Intel-powered chromebooks. The batteries used in ARM chromebooks may be smaller than their Intel chromebook counterparts.
    Hmm, that's a good point. The Haswells are definitely more energy efficient than the older Celerons, but I wonder if anyone has done a head-to-head comparison with the Exynos.

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Aren't they faster as well, or is it a wash in that respect?
    Performance should also be better. The new Sammy Chromebook isn't out yet, but that one could be better

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Global Posts
    7,223 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

The HP 11 is an awesome device, but the Acer has a much better processor (for both performance and battery life) and a lower price tag. The HP has a better screen (by a lot), better aesthetics (IMO) and better sound performance. It's not slow by any means, but Acer is noticeably faster.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast