Acer is back in the game with $200 Chromebook

Bears

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't need one, but I'm such a techie that I have to check it out. May find some excuse or another to get one lol

hossman12

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
The processor doesn't seem very impressive, but I have to admit for $200 it's probably a better buy than the Nexus7.

Sent from my MetroPCS GalaxyS3 consistently getting around 7-8mpbs down... contracts and data limits need not apply.

socialillz

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm seriously contemplating getting this. I have to test drive it first to see if I like the build quality.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Was very tempted by this but ultimately went with the Samsung specifically for battery life and form factor.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
FYI - according to the Google Chrome Blog battery life is now 4 hours.

Update 11/15: The latest update for the Acer C7 Chromebook enhances battery life to 4 hours. You should get this update when you open your computer for the first time. Thanks to auto-updates, you already have a better computer than the one you bought.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Picked this up last night at Best Buy. For the price it was an impulse purchase. And like @Bears said in an early post, I just had to check it out. I love it. For tablet use, I'm primarily an iPad user, although I've been on the Surface RT lately. But I always like to go back to my "roots" and I feel right at home with this Acer. And there are really a lot of good Chrome apps. The Remote Desktop app is awesome. But there are apps for task management, personal finance, health and fitness, etc.

For 200 bucks you can't go wrong.

gomezl7

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Picked this up last night at Best Buy. For the price it was an impulse purchase. And like @Bears said in an early post, I just had to check it out. I love it. For tablet use, I'm primarily an iPad user, although I've been on the Surface RT lately. But I always like to go back to my "roots" and I feel right at home with this Acer. And there are really a lot of good Chrome apps. The Remote Desktop app is awesome. But there are apps for task management, personal finance, health and fitness, etc.

For 200 bucks you can't go wrong.

So tempted last night at best buy...looks good

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty intrigued by the Acer C7, particularly some of the mods that can be easily done to it

How to install Ubuntu on Acer’s $199 C7 Chromebook | Ars Technica

Run Ubuntu? Add aftermarket RAM and hard drives? Fan noise and added weight is a concern (I freaking love how quiet and portable my Samsung 3 is) but I can't even read the line "It only has 4 hours of battery life" without laughing. Sure the Samsung is better but 4 hours seems absolutely luxurious to me. I still remember dropping an extra $150 on an extended battery for my old Vostro 1400 just so I could have three hours of battery life.

Of course I assume battery is severely impacted if you boot into Ubuntu but I suppose if that is such a concern you can just boot into Chrome to squeeze out what you can before you're able to plug in again.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
You can swap out the battery for a better one, add memory (up to 16gb), and even replace the stock hard drive for a SSD. I just purchased mine (shipping to me as I write this), and I'm already looking at the mods I want to do to it after it arrives. I will look into installing Ubuntu as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith