Acer CB3 11" Chromebook

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
In case you missed it - the Acer CB3 is $130 at Best Buy.

I grabbed one because I figured it'd be foolish not to. My first impressions?

I love the keyboard. I like it even more than I like my 13" HP windows machine. The key travel is great and the keys are reliable. It's comfortably spaced for my hands. I'm not going to claim it's going to be perfect for everyone, but I dig it. The track-pad is amazing too. I think it's the first time I've opened up a laptop and the track-pad was sensitive enough to drag the mouse across the screen within the area of the pad. Again, that's not for everyone, but I love it. The multitouch gestures work too, pretty consistently as far as I can tell.

The speakers are stupid good. Stupid. Like, uncomfortably loud and clear for a computer this size. There's a reason I'm mentioning it immediately after the keyboard. I was testing it at work with the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack and one crescendo later I was a complete distraction for the entire office. They're really great. I can't wait to do some media consuming with this little laptop.

The screen? It's fine. It's not a full HD display, but I kind of dig the mat screen. It can get pretty bright. I have it on full brightness right now in the sun coming in through the window (it's still too early in the season for outdoor blogging in MN) and it's visible. I don't know that I would ever do anything like that if I had the option to not do it, but it works. Now that I have spun my chair 90 degrees so I'm not in the sun I can turn the brightness down. You're not going to write home about it for any reason. It's a screen that does what a screen should do at about the quality you'd anticipate a screen should be.

My last Chromebook was the HP 14" and I every time I opened and closed the screen I felt like things that weren't designed to flex were definitely flexing. This Acer feels like a much more solid device. I also like it more than the original Samsung 11" from a build perspective. The only weird thing is the white textured plastic. It really feels like a toy between the material and the weight. That being said though, Best Buy had it side-by-side with the faux-leather Sammy. Both felt equally toyish, especially considering that obviously faux leather back. Again, there's a personal bias here.

I'm kind of bummed that the charger isn't just a microUSB charger, but you can't win them all. It's a long cord. That's kind of nice. It's almost 9 ounces for the charger, which, when the computer weighs in at just over 2 lbs, I feel like there's a lot of weight here. And it doesn't have a really graceful way to manage the lengths of cable that come out of either side. It's going to be a mess, I'm going to have to get used to that.

As far as performance, so far everything's smooth. I have Facebook, Twitter, Google play music, and Reddit open behind this tab, and I have a few hangouts open too. Scrolling is still pretty dang smooth and my music is running just fine. I guess time will tell as I do more with this, but I'm pretty excited about the performance of the Intel chip so far. Battery life is great too. With music going and my screen at a comfortable 2/3 brightness, it says I have 91% battery left, which the Chromebook decided was 7 hours and 32 minutes left. That's nuts. I'm probably not going to be able to type these first impressions for that long, so I'm not sure I'll verify that estimate, but that's probably a pretty good guess based on the current use.

ChromeOS is still ChromeOS. If you've used it, you get it.

But yeah, for an impulse purchase, I'm really jazzed. This seems to be a much nicer device than I would normally think of when I spend $130. Go get one!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Great writeup! I'm sorely tempted to get one, but it'd be hard to justify, since I already have an Acer C720 (with the Haswell processor, so plenty fast) and an HP 14 (also with the Haswell). Trying to figure out if I can give one of these to a family member ... :)

vic6string

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I picked one up during the sale too. I was looking to get the Asus c200 for $179 on Amazon, but when I saw this sale I couldn't resist. At that price it is insane. It's my first chromebook, but I knew what I was getting myself into... I am completely immersed in the Google-sphere having all but given up on MS Office. I even wrote my first e-book using Google-Docs. I was surprised at just how good this thing was, though. As you mentioned, the battery life is ridiculous, but that was expected. I couldn't believe how well it runs with that processor and just 2 gigs of ram, however. I ran it next to my wife's Toshiba Core i3, 4 gig ram Windows 8.1 laptop and it blew it out of the water. It wasn't even close. Also, the startup time from sleep mode is almost instant, and from dead off is under 10 seconds. This was easily the best $130 I have ever spent.

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
This was easily the best $130 I have ever spent.

Yeah, I'll second that. I can't imagine a more useful device that's $130. I'm still really enjoying the device. My biggest gripe? They didn't include google stickers. I feel like it's the first chromebook I've purchased that didn't include these. Haha

541rrhse

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Acer outlet on ebay had them for $109.99 (refurbished). Day one with it has been fun and surprisingly impressive. Love it thus far!!

Posted via Android Central App

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
In case you missed it - the Acer CB3 is $130 at Best !

Is this the same as what I just bought?

ACR chromebook 11.6 CB3-111 C670 Celeron

I just got this and am working on getting used to ChromeOS. it sure is a different animal from my beloved Android tablet, or my hated windblows work pc. I really got out to try to get my husband into it but not sure he can adjust to the learning curve.

How do you deal without having desktop (or home screen) shortcuts from often used files or pictures.

Do you do all docs (word, excell e t c) as gdoc files? How can you create or convert to doc or xls?

How do you deal with the gmail browser app dropping all non gmail email into one mass inbox?

Thanks in advance, getting me over the newness hump :) . I think google is on the right path to the future, and I like to be current.

Diane

ps: love your name ;-) , my all time fave ELO tune!

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Is this the same as what I just bought?

ACR chromebook 11.6 CB3-111 C670 Celeron

How do you deal without having desktop (or home screen) shortcuts from often used files or pictures.

Do you do all docs (word, excell e t c) as gdoc files? How can you create or convert to doc or xls?

How do you deal with the gmail browser app dropping all non gmail email into one mass inbox?

Diane

ps: love your name ;-) , my all time fave ELO tune!

Thanks! Sorry I'm replying a couple weeks late... apparently I haven't been on the forums recently.

Um, lots of questions, so here we go.

First of all, I use the Chromebook different than I used my desktop computer, but generally I tend to keep files very organized, which means I don't have much on my desktop. Not having files readily available there wasn't at all an adjustment. Also, if it's not in Google Drive, I don't have it on my Chromebook. There's not a lot of offline file use for me.

For documents - everything I created was in Google Docs. When you are done, if you download them they give you the option to download as a .docx or .xls file. It's really slick.

And I only used the Gmail app with my Gmail and Google Business accounts, so I'm not familiar with what you're talking about. I felt that Gmail's new sorting (well, newish I guess) is really well done.

Hopefully that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
thanks for your input. I have gotten most of it figured out. I did find word and excel online that work pretty well for my existing docs, we shall see how and if I totally transition.

as for gmail, I discovered they just use the terms labels and filters for folders and filters, like I used in outlook, so Im able to get my various emails dropped into corresponding buckets, so to speak.

as for desktop icons, I still sorta miss that, but with the items I use most, there is pinning to the shelf area (task bar in windows speak)

its a bit of a learning curve and there is a bit of a lag posting to this and other forum type groups, but I can see a clear path to transitioning to cloud based computing, but I do have a bit of fear of data integrity with a full cloud based system. Time will tell if this becomes the norm,

I really wanted this for my tech challenged husband, but he has no interest in learning something new, so guess I'll just keep it for me :)

What I do love is the ease of switching accounts and sharing google drive folders, so I can easily get him music for google play and get it into his account.

Thanks again for your help, and I STILL love your screen name ;)

FalkirkEagle

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I just picked up one of these off of eBay, a white refurb model from Newegg Canada with a 90-day warranty provided by a third party. I got it for $150CDN, free shipping, plus tax, which worked out to $169 total. What a steal, I couldn't afford to pass this one up, because the same thing brand-new with a full one-year warranty, is selling in my local Best Buy stores for $249.99.

When I unpacked it, I noticed that it looked like it was brand new. Had a bugger of a time getting it to connect to my wi-fi router/DSL modem, but after fixing a couple of things in the router settings, it was working fine. I had had so much difficulty getting it to connect properly at first, that I sent in a return request to the seller.

The display isn't the greatest, and it gets quite grainy and smudgy-looking if you use the Accessibility features to magnify the display, but it gets the job done. The keyboard is actually pretty good for such a cheap machine. Even with the small limitations it has, this Chromebook seems to be miles ahead of the little Asus eee netbook I had about five years ago.

:D

I bought the Chromebook so I could take it with me to work and surf the web, check emails or take notes while I'm on breaks or at lunch. I was considering getting a tablet with a keyboard case, but I opted for this instead because the price was so cheap. Plus, with the next release of the Chrome OS, most newer Chromebooks will be able to run some Android apps, which will further extend the capabilities of Chromebooks.

I kinda like the idea of a light OS like Chrome because there are no viruses, no routine downloads of updates to do, or ongoing maintenance to worry about. Chromebooks boot up almost instantly and shut down quickly too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC