Charge via USB port?

fonewiz

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
Is there any way to charge my A100 using the USB port.. I have lots of car adapters that I could use to charge this if it were possible. Seems to only charge with the included power adapter which is less than cool, really.

quadcam#CB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
If the A100 is the same setup as the A500, which it sounds like it is, it doesn't charge from the usb, which is a shame but it will backcharge your phone via usb which is a +

Whoknowes

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
The A500 and A100 use a 5 volt charger, not the 3 volt that comes out of a usb port... purchase a small power inverter and take it with you...... really seems like somewhat of a simple question for some one that has a high tech tablet.... hummmm......

fonewiz

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
The A500 and A100 use a 5 volt charger, not the 3 volt that comes out of a usb port... purchase a small power inverter and take it with you...... really seems like somewhat of a simple question for some one that has a high tech tablet.... hummmm......

I know what a power inverter is and I have one permanently installed under the seat in my vehicle. But.. It's much easier to just use the same cable I already have plugged into the power port in the dash.

I already have a micro usb cable laying there that I use for my phone and my wife's phone in both vehicles.

Your solution would require me to buy two more AC adapters (one for each vehicle) and buy another inverter for my other vehicle. Actually I have another inverter but why would I want to do this if, there is some way to charge it through the USB port?

It's all about convenience, if it is possible to charge via USB in some way, then that would be my preference. If get by however I can with the A/C adapter, inverters or whatever. There are a few car adapters on Ebay but they look cheap and I don't trust them.

So, I don't understand the sarcasm about my question, really. But thanks for the response anyhow, I think..

jojohaj

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Is there any way to charge my A100 using the USB port.. I have lots of car adapters that I could use to charge this if it were possible. Seems to only charge with the included power adapter which is less than cool, really.

do not i repeat DO NOT attempt to charge your a100 through the USB port! it's a good way to turn your 7" tablet into a 7" brick! one of the ways acer kept the cost down was instead of having a USB charging port it's just made for computer to tablet connections and if you try to use it to charge you run a huge chance of shorting out and frying your entire system

ongre10

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
An important consideration in the design is the amount of current the usb connectors can handle. I figure the designers find that it is safer to design a separate charging and power connector because as the devices get larger they draw more current to operate and charge the battery. I think that is the reason they do that. Is there no 12 volt adapter for these devices? I don't own one yet, just leaning towards the acer 7 inch tablet.

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
It is a 12v power adapter. USB is like 3v. Yeh I know., the iPad can charge via usb. I But they don't tell you is in test it took 3 hours to get 4% charge for it. Not very useful if you ask me.

CTREV21

May 14, 2012
Visit site
So, I guess I have to put my music and movies on sd card using the pc then insert the card into the tablet.

Sent from my sorry ass EVO 3D

dmtchico

May 12, 2012
Visit site

Simply read the small print right on the end near the power button.
The A100 takes a 12 volt DC input.
Commenters: Don't assume, understand and verify stuff before you comment.
Readers: Google and verify before you take comments at face value,
there are too many kids on these forums that just want to sound like they know something.

By using a multimeter, i verified that a voltage greater than 13 volts will cause the A100 to deactivate it's internal charging circuits as protection. Thus, any car adapter you get must regulate and limit it's output voltage.
Also, polarity is important with a DC circuit.

McPlot

May 25, 2010
Visit site
So, I guess I have to put my music and movies on sd card using the pc then insert the card into the tablet.

Sent from my sorry ass EVO 3D

On the Acer A100, no. YOU can transfer directly from the PC onto the SD card in the tablet. If you need more power doing this time, just plug the Acer into the wall as normal.

jennygfl

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Also beware of products that claim to charge via the power connector using a USB adapter. I purchased one from Amazon, and even though the connector fits, it does not draw enough power to make either the 10" A500 or the 7" A100 recognize that it is charging. Luckily Amazon accepted the return.

The tablets are great in all other ways though! Love the full-size USB port on the A500!

Plug in a USB mouse and you get an arrow on the screen! Great for RDP or LogMeIn!

"The TechGal"

Noe Wunn

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I was looking up this question because I want to be able to use a solar charger with my tablet. Almost all solar chargers accept USB connections only. I would like to know what type of power connector there is for the Acer A200 so I can possibly find an adapter to use with a solar charger.