What's the best way to scroll without opening menus or apps?

JT573767

May 2, 2012
Visit site
On the A100, I often accidentally launch apps or menus when scrolling down through a list of items. Things fly open before I can scroll to what I really want. It seems like doing a "heavy" drag is the way to avoid this but I can't get that to be as consistent as I'd like. My finger dexterity seems normal enough, though my hands are probably larger than average.

On a PC or Mac you simply use the mouse wheel or side scroll bars, so you're not scrolling right on top of an item list. I find this to be a major weakness of the whole touch-screen concept.

Is there a consistent best method for scrolling through lists without launching items by mistake?

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, no clue. No matter what I do, I seem to always launch things when scrolling. This doesn't happen on my phone, and actually, when scrolling, I can't launch anything until the scrolling stops. I'm hoping that it has something to do with 3.2, and that if I ever get ICS, it will fix the problem.

sutekh137

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh man, I have the same issue. I can't tell if ICS has helped or if I have simply gotten more careful, but it seems to be happening less for me now.

I tend to firmly press, wait, then drag, as if the screen were concave and I was scooping along the bottom of the concavity (if that makes sense).

Sadly, I do not have the same problem on the iPad or iPhone: flicking, "heavy" drags, whatever...selecting vs. scrolling has never been an issue for several years now on the Apple devices (not trying to cause a flame-war, just relating my personal experience). It would appear that the screen/OS combination (of the A100, anyway) errs on the side of "tapping" vs. "navigating", something I feel should be exactly the opposite. Navigation should be assumed BEFORE a tap, otherwise things end up launch-happy (and user-sad). It is a fine point of touchscreen use, so what is finnicky for one user is nirvana for the next.

The good news is, as I said, you will sort of get used to it over time. The key is to press and wait a bit before scrolling or flicking so that Android realizes you are for sure navigating, not tapping/launching.

Hope this helps...

sutekh137

JT573767

May 2, 2012
Visit site
"Press and wait" seems like good advice. I knew there had to be a trigger you could send to the OS.

I still think touchscreens are overrated except for portability, battery life and the cool-factor. A mouse takes a lot less effort and is more precise.

Last edited:

Forgewizard

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Coming from a history of using touch screen devices I appreciate using the screen over dragging a mouse across the desk or even the better trackball. But it does seem like each device's sensitivity varies. Calibration often pairs your input with the device, but I can't seem to locate a calibrator on my A100. Any one find theirs?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The update to ICS did include an option in the Settings menu to change the touchscreen sensitivity. I think it's under Settings->Display. I haven't tried it, but it's something to consider.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oops, my bad. I think the touchscreen sensitivity adjustment is only on the A500, not the A100.

Sent from my A100 using Android Central Forums

sutekh137

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Hm, there is something under "Language and Input" for "Pointer Speed" -- any idea what that does? (I'm too lazy to do rigorous testing right now...)

It is set right at the center now, so maybe it is just an extra option for Android devices that truly have a trackpad...

Thanks,
JoeK

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing that's for mouse input via USB or Bluetooth.

Sent from my A100 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781