NO ICS :(

dizzy007

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
So how do you know if they are Gen 2 or not? Both my wife and son have the a100 and were updated to ICS at the beginning of the week. So far they are working pretty good have not seen any problems yet.

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

rrand

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
So how do you know if they are Gen 2 or not? Both my wife and son have the a100 and were updated to ICS at the beginning of the week. So far they are working pretty good have not seen any problems yet.

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

It will say GEN2 at the end of the build number. You can find the build number on the settings/about tablet page. On honeycomb you have to scroll down to see it, but I'm not sure about ics.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I just got my update to ICS tonight, so hang in there if you're still waiting on it. I know waiting on updates sucks, but I think we will all eventually get it. I have a Gen2 that updated to 3.2.1 a week or so ago, and like others have reported, I got 3 updates tonight, with the 3rd giving me ICS. Just wanted to share and let everyone know that Acer is still pushing out the OTA.

Reactions: rrand

rrand

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
So am I. This time I am very angry because tech support told me I'd definitely get it within one week.. They lied.

rrand

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
So I contacted Acer support again today. I was told to do a hard reset on my device and then check for updates.

I'm pretty scared to do that because I don't want to lose my important data. I don't trust backups (made in Honeycomb) to restore properly (in ICS.) Does anybody know if this works well? I have Titanium Backup Pro, but I don't know how to tell if my app data has been saved. That's the most important thing to me. Am I worrying too much?

PookaLady

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't know anything about it and if the hard reset works.I probably need to try it as well.Almozt afraid to because I don't want to things worse.I am not very tech savvy.I just got my a100 May 2.I thoughf it would probably show up once I powered on.No such luck.

rrand

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't know anything about it and if the hard reset works.I probably need to try it as well.Almozt afraid to because I don't want to things worse.I am not very tech savvy.I just got my a100 May 2.I thoughf it would probably show up once I powered on.No such luck.

Here are the instructions tech support gave me in case you want to try a hard reset.

Acer Support - Answers, E-Mail, Chat - How do I reset the hardware and software to factory defaults on my Android tablet?.

You will lose all your data if it's not backed up, and probably will have to re-install all your programs again as it will revert your A100 back to factory default settings.

I think it's probably better that you just bought your tablet on May 2. Then you don't have as many personal files, programs, and documents to worry about. At least that's my personal opinion.

PookaLady

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Here are the instructions tech support gave me in case you want to try a hard reset.

Acer Support - Answers, E-Mail, Chat - How do I reset the hardware and software to factory defaults on my Android tablet?.

You will lose all your data if it's not backed up, and probably will have to re-install all your programs again as it will revert your A100 back to factory default settings.

I think it's probably better that you just bought your tablet on May 2. Then you don't have as many personal files, programs, and documents to worry about. At least that's my personal opinion.

Thanks for the info. Sorry you have so much on your tablet already. I just don't understand how this mess happened and why Acer kept telling me I would get it within a week...every time I called.
You are right at least I don' t have much on it. Does a hard reset fix the issue? Will it update then? Has anyone tried it yet?

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
So I contacted Acer support again today. I was told to do a hard reset on my device and then check for updates.

I'm pretty scared to do that because I don't want to lose my important data. I don't trust backups (made in Honeycomb) to restore properly (in ICS.) Does anybody know if this works well? I have Titanium Backup Pro, but I don't know how to tell if my app data has been saved. That's the most important thing to me. Am I worrying too much?

Have you tried it yet? I was under the impression that Titanium Backup only did a complete backup if your phone/tablet was rooted (i.e., it will save your apps but not their data if you're stock), but admittedly, with the way apps are updated these days, I could be wrong. Also, I've never tried to restore a backup from Honeycomb to ICS, so I can't help you there.

PookaLady, I don't know if the hard reset will prompt the ICS update, but since you don't have much info on your tab, any chance you could be the guinea pig and give it a shot? :cool:

rrand

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried it yet? I was under the impression that Titanium Backup only did a complete backup if your phone/tablet was rooted (i.e., it will save your apps but not their data if you're stock), but admittedly, with the way apps are updated these days, I could be wrong. Also, I've never tried to restore a backup from Honeycomb to ICS, so I can't help you there.

PookaLady, I don't know if the hard reset will prompt the ICS update, but since you don't have much info on your tab, any chance you could be the guinea pig and give it a shot? :cool:

I did a Titanium Backup (with root), data and apps. But I don't know if my backup is good. I went into the backup folder looking for my notes program to see if all my notes were there, and I couldn't find any of them. So that's why I haven't tried it yet.

rrand

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Update. Hardware reset did not work. There was still no OTA update after resetting. So I think my only option is to install a gen1 ROM. I downloaded a ROM off the Internet and put it on my sdcard and tried to flash the tablet. After the green android comes up and it shows the installation bar, something happens about halfway through and the android gets an exclamation point on his tummy. So the update is not working for me. I'll try to get a different ROM and try it again.

rrand

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I was the guinea pig. I hard reset back to factory settings. Still no updates. Then I downgraded my ROM to GEN1. I got it from this page:

How to move from 3.2 to ICS on your A100

This time it seemed to go smoothly installing this ROM.

But guess what? Still no updates! I don't know what to do now. (Throws in towel.) What's left to try?

rrand

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
The backup didn't work. I ended up losing almost everything and all my pictures. At least I got most of my notes back, but they're only up to date as of a week ago. And I still can't upgrade to ice cream sandwich. I ran a full manual backup before i started. I don't know what went wrong.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Dude, your situation stinks! This is a long shot, but it worked for my old Droid Incredible. Try manually setting your system date to a year ahead. The system may then realize it's way late in updating, and then trigger the update. Like I said, a long shot ...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Reactions: rrand

airborne mp

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Here's how I got mine to update: the ota didn't work for me either, so I thought it was because I was rooted. I did a factory reset and still had no ota. I did however lose everything but I had movies songs and pics either on my SD card or free 50gb box drive (thanks box! lol). Then in desperation I downloaded and installed the leaked ICS which brought me to 4.0. Once this was done the OTA kicked in and downloaded the official 4.0.3 update. Hope this helps

Sent from my rooted A100 using Android Central Forums

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress