1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    stock OTA OS

Default FYI: This car adapter doesn't work with A100

Just thought I'd share this info.
    I purchased this car adapter off of eBay a few weeks ago and I finally found out why it does not work with the ACER A100 (as it is described to do).

This adapter does not regulate the output voltage.
    It puts out whatever the car puts out, which is more that 13 volts with the engine running on my 2009 FORD F150.
    When the engine is not running, the car cig plug puts out less than 13 volts and then this adapter does work with the ACER A100. But, since 99.99% of the time I want to use it when the engine is running, this adapter is of no use to me.

I used a voltage meter to perform my tests and verified the voltage outputs when the adapter works and when it does not.

Another car adapter that I have DOES regulate the output voltage to below 13 volts and it works perfectly with my ACER A100.

SO, I'm just saying, don't expect this particular DC Car adapter to work with the ACER A100.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FYI: This car adapter doesn't work with A100-cig-adaper-does-not-work.jpg  
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

ROM
    stock OTA OS

Default Re: FYI: This car adapter doesn't work with A100

Quote Originally Posted by dmtchico View Post
    Just thought I'd share this info.
    I purchased this car adapter off of eBay a few weeks ago and I finally found out why it does not work with the ACER A100 (as it is described to do).

This adapter does not regulate the output voltage.
    It puts out whatever the car puts out, which is more that 13 volts with the engine running on my 2009 FORD F150.
    When the engine is not running, the car cig plug puts out less than 13 volts and then this adapter does work with the ACER A100. But, since 99.99% of the time I want to use it when the engine is running, this adapter is of no use to me.

I used a voltage meter to perform my tests and verified the voltage outputs when the adapter works and when it does not.

Another car adapter that I have DOES regulate the output voltage to below 13 volts and it works perfectly with my ACER A100.

SO, I'm just saying, don't expect this particular DC Car adapter to work with the ACER A100.

===============================================================

The eBay seller replied to my last message, in which I described the problem again and left negative feedback.

They said that they are sending me a replacement unit and asked that I retract the negative feedback.

I replied that if the replacement unit actually does perform correctly then I will 'believe' that the original one was merely a single defective unit and that I would retract any and all negative feedback/posts about the product.

I told them that I have already purchased a different DC car adapter from a different seller, and that it works good with my ACER A100.

I'm a Show Me guy (with a multimeter), so I will wait and see and report.
    I just don't want ACER A100 owners like myself to get stuck with falsely described accessories for it.
    Thanked by:
    mamawM 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    stock OTA OS

Quote Originally Posted by dmtchico View Post
    ===============================================================

The eBay seller replied to my last message, in which I described the problem again and left negative feedback.

They said that they are sending me a replacement unit and asked that I retract the negative feedback.

I replied that if the replacement unit actually does perform correctly then I will 'believe' that the original one was merely a single defective unit and that I would retract any and all negative feedback/posts about the product.

I told them that I have already purchased a different DC car adapter from a different seller, and that it works good with my ACER A100.

I'm a Show Me guy (with a multimeter), so I will wait and see and report.
    I just don't want ACER A100 owners like myself to get stuck with falsely described accessories for it.

I just received the replacement dc adapter and, as I suspected, it does not work either, just like the first one.

The car adapter does not regulate it's output to be less than 13.? volts.
    Thus, the ACER A100 protects itself, by switching off it's internal charging circuits.
    This can be seen, by watching the 'Battery Menu' of the ACER when the car is not running,
    and when it is started. I also, checked the car socket voltage output and the adapter's
    output voltage and saw no regulation of the adapter's output voltage.
    A different dc adapter that I bought DOES regulate the output voltage and works perfectly with the A100.

I hope this helps anyone thinking about buying this dc adapter for use with their ACER A100.

Thanks for the warnings. Can you provide a link to the good charger that you stuck with? Also, the regular wall charger that came with my tab broke down so do you have any advice on a replacement? Thanks again!

When are you people going to understand you can NOT run the A100 off of a USB cable, it will NOT charge.. YOU CAN NOT plug in a cigarette lighter and make it work.... buy a cheap power inverter and use the charger that came with it... there have been so many posts about how do I charge my A100 via USB... YOU CANT.... if you have enough intelligence to use a table, you should be smart enough to do just a small amount of research on the internet to find out the power requirements. These threads have been around months/years and the info you are looking for is probably already posted/answered by some one else that had the same problem when the A100 first came out.....READ PEOPLE....

So... There is no car charger out there, I bought one on ebay and it was a piece of garbage, I've been using. A 12v to110 converter. To make this happens: