Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By Eclipse2K
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HDMI woes -- A110 & A500

Hello,

My husband has an Acer 500 that's about 2 years old and I have an Acer A110 that's about 10 months old. I hooked up an HDMI cable from the A110 to the tv the other night, and it didn't work. I've only used the HDMI port twice before, but I have noticed that the battery port is awfully wiggly and frequently when the charger is plugged it, it's often a poor fit and not really connected/charging. Anyway, I did find that if I wiggled the HDMI cable, a snowy picture is very briefly delivered to the tv.

Then today, I discovered that the HDMI port doesn't work now on the 500. This we've used quite a bit. I switched cables, switched to different HDMI ports, and tried on 3 different tvs. Nada. Then I hooked up a computer via HDMI to the tv and it works just fine. So it doesn't appear to be the cable or tv, yes?

I can only conclude that the HDMI ports are a weak aspect of the Acer tablets, but obviously I don't know for sure. The one is still under warranty, I think, so I'll be returning it for repair. But I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar problems or if anyone has alternative ideas as to what might be going on? We haven't had any power outages or anything, and the tablets aren't left plugged into the tv unless we're watching it.

Thx.

-- mk --

Default Re: HDMI woes -- A110 & A500

From what you're describing, I agree that it sounds like a problem with the HDMI ports. I haven't heard much about shoddy ports in Acer products, but then again, they're really not a big player any more in the tablet field, so it's hard to gauge. I have an A100, and the HDMI output has been reliably good. Used to have an A500 as well, and that never had problems, but I didn't use the HDMI much on that one.

Have you tried rebooting the tablets? You might even go as far as doing a factory data reset on at least one of them.
    Thanked by:
    Eclipse2K likes this.

Based on what you've mentioned here I would say it's time to send them in for warranty repair. I was going to recommend trying different HDMI ports because some tablets and computers tend to act up or display improperly if inserted into the wrong slot. That's why I tend to stick with the HDMI/DVI slot for computers since it optimizes properly and I assume tablets may be the same at times. However, you did mention that you tried this which is greatly appreciated so we can help you without a lot of questions. Unfortunately, unless I'm mistaken you will need a warranty repair.
    B. Diddy likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Yes, rebooted but didn't do a factory reset. Thx.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks. I was afraid that I'd have to send at least the warrantied one back. I'm a tablet addict, so was hoping to avoid that. It's just so weird that both would fail, but coincidences will happen. Appreciate your comments.

The manufacturer recommends that the cables should be installed when both devices are shut off. Otherwise abnormal connections will result.

Androdan