Turn A500 to A501?

davidlnewman

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't really have the need to have cellular on my tablet, but I am just curious. Is there a way to add a sim card to the A500? The slot is covered by a piece of plastic. I womder if there is an actual slot for a sim card under it and could it be used if it is......

:p

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Either you have checked this personally, ;) or it's a guess.

Actually, it's an interesting observation. After all, it would be more cost effective, to produce 1 mainboard, and have 2 different cases, than to produce 2 mainboards, and 2 cases.

If I have a 500, I would be tempted to use a dremel tool, and remove the covering. After all, the sellers would probably not see this, if it were turned in for repair or replacement.

So in reality, unless somebody has tried this, we really don't know.

The only internal difference, would be the stock rom Acer installs. 1 for the 501, and 1 for the 500, which are identical except for 3g support.

mviars

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
My 500 had a small thin peice of plastic cover the sim slot that came off easy and it looked like the sim socket was there but I really need to use a flashlight to look again but I never got the chance.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
The answer it seems, is no. From what I've read, the 500 and 501 mainboards are different. They lack the radio equipment basically.

There are some threads where people are trying to jury-rig some sort of 3g capability to the 500 using the socket, in a way, but....Damn...... it looks horrible. Soldered wires. Looking for parts.

I have to give them some well deserved credit though, as they are doing something "outside the box", and something I would never do, unless I had to.

It's way much easier to get a "3g dongle".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze