3.2 OTA Update

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I just got notified of a system update. I'm downloading it now.

Has anyone else gotten the update OTA yet? Hopefully this fixes my GPS issue.

UPDATE - Failed. The file downloaded then the tablet rebooted and showed the !Triangle with the blue honeybee. I then powered it off and it loaded back up with 3.1. I'm trying again now.

UPDATE2 - No luck getting the update to install. I tried it with the original build and a few official Acer images. I cannot get it to work on any of them. Do I need to unroot? Any ideas? Anyone get it to work yet?

UPDATE3 - Downloaded and Installed Rooted Acer based 3.2 from XDA with all the bloat removed. Works well, but didn't solve my GPS issue. Touchscreen does seem to be more responsive.

Last edited:

scarryman04

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I just got notified of a system update. I'm downloading it now.

Has anyone else gotten the update OTA yet? Hopefully this fixes my GPS issue.

UPDATE - Failed. The file downloaded then the tablet rebooted and showed the !Triangle with the blue honeybee. I then powered it off and it loaded back up with 3.1. I'm trying again now.

UPDATE2 - No luck getting the update to install. I tried it with the original build and a few official Acer images. I cannot get it to work on any of them. Do I need to unroot? Any ideas? Anyone get it to work yet?

yes you need to unroot and return the recovery back to stock if you have a custom one installed.

keep in mind if you plan on rooting again your going to have to wait til devs find a way to root again.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
yes you need to unroot and return the recovery back to stock if you have a custom one installed.

keep in mind if you plan on rooting again your going to have to wait til devs find a way to root again.

Actually, they have a procedure now for the HC3.2 OTA to allow people to revert back to HC3.1 so they can root again. It's NOT a root for the 3.2OTA, but at least you can revert back and reflash with a version of Stock 3.2 as a custom rom.

[TUT] Revert OTA 3.2 back to 3.0.1 - xda-developers

scarryman04

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Actually, they have a procedure now for the HC3.2 OTA to allow people to revert back to HC3.1 so they can root again. It's NOT a root for the 3.2OTA, but at least you can revert back and reflash with a version of Stock 3.2 as a custom rom.

[TUT] Revert OTA 3.2 back to 3.0.1 - xda-developers

yeah they can root again and it will be the same thing they have now...but not root the official OTA 3.2 which I was stating.

Why would they want to get the OTA then revert back, root again, then install a custom 3.2 ROM when they are already rooted on 3.1 and can already flash a custom 3.2 ROM? What you said would be the hugest waste of time in the world lol

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
yeah they can root again and it will be the same thing they have now...but not root the official OTA 3.2 which I was stating.

Why would they want to get the OTA then revert back, root again, then install a custom 3.2 ROM when they are already rooted on 3.1 and can already flash a custom 3.2 ROM? What you said would be the hugest waste of time in the world lol

Well, thats the big question. And one I have always pondered on.

I guess, considering the 500/501 was such a painless root compared to most other devices. And it's nice to be able to remove the bloatware that comes with a device. Not to mention, there are a lot of apps that require root access to run.

So maybe folks just didn't wish to take the "extra plunge" into a different rom, and just wanted root.

But the 3,2 update took it away.

Yeah, I guess they were looking for something extra ;)

scarryman04

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, thats the big question. And one I have always pondered on.

I guess, considering the 500/501 was such a painless root compared to most other devices. And it's nice to be able to remove the bloatware that comes with a device. Not to mention, there are a lot of apps that require root access to run.

So maybe folks just didn't wish to take the "extra plunge" into a different rom, and just wanted root.

But the 3,2 update took it away.

Yeah, I guess they were looking for something extra ;)

I told him he would have to unroot and turn everything back to stock to be able to install the 3.2 OTA and 3.2 is unrootable so far to warn him that he wouldn't be able to root if he accepted it...I didn't say anything about them being able to root 3.2

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
How do they decide which order the updates are distributed?

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

There is no order. It is carrier specific. All carriers have to recode the update, to make sure their bloatware works. And their UI works with the new code. So there is no specific order.

EnergyPlus

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
While that is true for phones, since the A500 is a wireless-only device, there is no carrier. The issue of some parts of the world seeing an update while others do not, is perplexing.

There is no order. It is carrier specific. All carriers have to recode the update, to make sure their bloatware works. And their UI works with the new code. So there is no specific order.

brandon

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I have not received it either. Not sure why, but even checking for the update has not worked. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like it actually fixed anything significant.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
While that is true for phones, since the A500 is a wireless-only device, there is no carrier. The issue of some parts of the world seeing an update while others do not, is perplexing.

Oooops.... wrong wording:D Or wrong post....:D

Maybe it has to do with some regulatory restrictions that need to be approved before pushing an update to a certain country or region.

EnergyPlus

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Received the update today on my unrooted A500. Personally, I see no difference as of yet, it remains to be seen (and no, I don't use Netflix, so cannot attest to that as many have asked in other chats).

P.M. I do see a notification that my AS card is inserted...oh boy!

As for distribution, I would not be surprised if the roll it out geographically so as to not big down their servers.

Slosh01

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I fired up the Iconia around 5:30 pm this afternoon & received notification that an update was available. 2+ hrs & 3 attempts later - I am still trying to download this POS update! Each time the download process begins it gets to apprx 65% of the 357.06 MB download and then just sh*ts the bed. I am giving it one more shot this evening and then will power the damn thing down and perhaps try again tomorrow. Judging from what I am reading here this damn update doesn't do that much - not enough to consume my whole evening...

I would sooner see Google fix the broken bookmark sync for the browser than attempt to pull down this half-baked update.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc