beware XDA: its not the same any more

tkirton

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I beg to differ about the thread. The op opened it up to stir up trouble...the leaked rom is technically "unreleased" (meaning Acer didn't release it officially). So long as Acer hasn't authorized a release, they don't have to distribute source to it.

The conversation wasn't getting good...most people was nailing the OP for trolling since they felt the OP was trying to distract from the development of the leaked rom. The moderator closed it because the thread was getting out of control (which always seems to happen when you mention Thor, his work, or the GPL).

But, as I pointed out right before the thread closed, you can go further and state that all roms that aren't part of AOSP (meaning all Acer roms) are in violation of the GPL because there is no source code posted for programs such as Bluez, DBus, WPA-Supplicant, and other GPLv2 licensed programs. Can you imagine 85% or more of the Android roms on XDA being pulled for non-GPL compliance? That would be devastating for XDA. The point I was trying to make over there is that either we can pull every rom off of XDA, or we can just end this conversation and move on with developing.

The problem I've seen on the Acer A500 XDA forum is that you have a handful of people who whine a lot about whether a rom developer is sharing. None of those people will grab the source from CyanogenMod 9's github and actually perform the process of building a GPL compliant rom. They just continuously whine about it and, frankly, it's getting rather annoying.

Aaron C#AC

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I beg to differ about the thread. .

I agree 100%. The op in the thread did it to stir trouble....and point out the inconsistent rulings by xda mods.
Instead of addressing that (exactly like you did.....great explanation by the way) the mod just laughed and mocked the op. Thus validating everything we have been saying about xda.
Its sad. I also agree that it is a case of a few bad apples.
Someone else mentioned the downward turn tegraowners has taken. I think a part of that s due to ics fever,part to anticipation of cornerstone, and some xda trolls running over to try and stir up trouble for thor. If you read all 370 pages (I have ....yikes) you see it was actually very well behaved until thee high 200s early 300s. Around the same date that the infamous ics bounty thread started at xda and some had the temerity to point out it already existed via thor......l

Aaron C#AC

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
hate to double post but XDA is at it again.

I created a thread to let everyone know that Thor released an update to his ICS rom.
The thread was 100% in compliance with stated XDA rules. No links, no attachments..just pointing out that those interested could google to find it.

I was BANNED because I posted warez!!!!!

Gotta love the consistent MODS over there!!

Apparently even the discussion of Thor is warez now.

BrianDigital

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I remember I time I posted a topic about my line for the a500 forum, but not much.

It's all over XDA, the worst trolls I hate are the ones instead of answering a simple question, the usual go search noob.

honestly I searched for why my girl friends touchpad would not let me transfer files from computer so I searched touchpad mtp driver win 7 64 bit

First link I got was a root wiki forum post with the first reply go search noob........

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Darth Raider

May 11, 2012
Visit site
hate to double post but XDA is at it again.

I created a thread to let everyone know that Thor released an update to his ICS rom.
The thread was 100% in compliance with stated XDA rules. No links, no attachments..just pointing out that those interested could google to find it.

I was BANNED because I posted warez!!!!!

Gotta love the consistent MODS over there!!

Apparently even the discussion of Thor is warez now.

Dude, you got banned because the first thread you posted had direct links to a non-GPL compliant kernel, and you received an warning for it.

Your second attempt to post the exact same thing, only this time with a "not quite complete link (but close enough)" is what got you toasted. ;)

Some people just like to create controversy. Even here at AC.

I look at it like this. Thor has a non-GPL compliant kernel (no release of source code as by law). In light of the recent crack-down on web sites dealing with copyright violations, warez, etc, and all affiliated sites that promote them, (anybody remember megaupload?) I don't blame XDA for not wanting the liability of being connected with Thor's site. And as you may not know, sites that promoted them, also got dealt with stiff penalties and are in litigation. In fact, I am surprised AC allows direct links, and doesn't take a more active stance in protecting themselves.

Sooner or later, the legal powers to be will get around to copyright and license violations. Just a matter of time. When they run out of big fish to fry, they'll go after little ones.

Thor is a great Dev. No doubt about it. Unfortunately starting thread wars in forums is a byproduct of his programming practices. Maybe one day, he'll start releasing kernel source and put an end to everyone's bickering :D

Warez Waldo

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I completely agree that some people are rude on XDA. I am a user and avid reader of XDA forums and I get annoyed with people asking the same question over and over also. That being said, Ill never understand how yelling at someone will help anything. Its almost as though people go on specifically to call out others. I like to compare this situation to YouTube. I make videos on YouTube and time and time again, people will comment asking a question answered in the video or already answered in the description, etc. The best way to handle that is to leave it be. I find that on some days I'll be generous and answer the question. And other days I don't even respond and I don't get myself or others worked up over nothing. By being rude, you push people away from wanting to post. And i know people may consider ignoring someone rude but its still a much better solution than blowing up at them. I know that personally I barely post on XDA because the community just doesn't seem as friendly as Android Central. I have the utmost respect for the devs and the people there but instead of being rude and congesting the threads with hate, just ignore the post. I'm starting to get more annoyed with the rude comments than I am with the stupid questions. Everyone on XDA needs to chill and focus on what's most important. In this case, what's most important is how android is the best OS ever :) haha.

Well said.....

Umar Faruk1

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Regarding the Thor tegraowner Ics ROM
I feel I need to help anyone who had done an ota update from acer to upgrade from honeycomb to ics. There had been a persistent sod problem when the iconia goes to sleep.I actually had to try all different roms but to no avail. I even unlocked the bootloader, you need to if you have stock ota update. Flashed different recoveries and still the sod problem continued. Thankfully I found the solution in Thor ics version 170. No more sleep of death. Its probably because Thor used his own kernel which is different from other acer leaks.not sure what and why but somehow the problem is solved and I hereby give testimony to Thor ROM reliability and usability.zero bugs so far. Without Thor, my tablet cannot be used and it cannot sleep at all.

Roefastford

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Oh xda is just horrible anymore they will let a member post your personal information on there and because he is a moderator on there they sided with him and banned my account. Jcase did this and they banned me ? I reported him to the financial institution that he got my info from as a had purchase sunshine from him and I also will be making a police report and filing a complaint with Ic3.gov which my financial institution recommended me to do along with the police report and he took some of my info off it but I have proof that he had it posted and so does xda.

How is it in any way professional for a forum moderator to post your personal information on their web site without your permission ????

mobilefreedom

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Wanted to make sure that those who use XDA for Roms and general info are aware of a very disturbing trend going on over there.

They are now actively deleting threads that discuss Roms that are not hosted on XDA. Had an issue last week where some of the "old guard" were running roughshod over some threads where Thors acer roms were discussed. Long story short, even though we created a new thread that was 100% compliant with the stated rules and regulations of XDA it was closed and deleted with no notice.
Basically you need to be aware that there are MANY other quality roms that are availible outside XDA. Its sad that such a great resource has become the playground of a few elites in some of the sub forums but that is what happens when you get a few bad mods and a few bad apples.

May I ask what those other sites are? I found a good one thats Vietnamese. Actually im running a VN V6 Note 4 port from there which is awsome. Any way, I have a hard time finding other sites that dont just rip content off XDA. Dont get me wring I love XDA but there limited. Mabey for this very reason you state. But I want other sites with a different chouce so I can decide. I dint mind if its not english. Theres google translate. As ling as there roms support international variants im good. By the way I have a t-mobile note 3 (900t).

Ryan Artenson

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
thanks for the tip.... am new to this and really appriciate not having to hassle with such hasslers.

there was once a word coined, "user friendly" and this is gone now... a new trick machination behind every byte it seems.

i need to unxerstand some basic things... im a high iq catagory person and i can see that a lot of the attitude shown when "googles" once friendly turn into fiends that make things as user unfriendly as humanly possible.

im tryi g to root my phone... why is rooting so incredibly convoluted?

as a newbie i simply cant get any basic simple answers to how to simply root the tablet...at ALL
to how to proceed! whats after turning the tablet power on... what is the next step...

look for answers here rather than xda which btw crashed miserably and had a 404 page right on the most prominent link. no explaination about which password they wanted to sign in... so came over here in hope of saving hours and hours, days of wasted time on pple who are so smart they cant explain simple things.

thanks... end of rant, help would be very welcomed!

splatoid

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
XDA Has been this way for many ways. I used to be nervous posting over there because I thought I would get flamed. I would always read for days and then post. By doing this I never got flamed. I understand the reason for short tempers because allot of people Do ask questions without even looking at any posts. Now that would annoy me for sure but I still wouldn't be that rude about it. But in truth XDA isn't the only site with problems I have ran into other forums over the years where people think because there on the internet they can cut loose and rude or mean cause there to chicken to do it to people in person. Anyway I just wanted to chime in I was feeling left out. But in truth I have ran into a lot of nice people on the Acer A100 forum and others. There are some decent people there still.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance