beware XDA: its not the same any more

Aaron C#AC

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Wanted to make sure that those who use XDA for Roms and general info are aware of a very disturbing trend going on over there.

They are now actively deleting threads that discuss Roms that are not hosted on XDA. Had an issue last week where some of the "old guard" were running roughshod over some threads where Thors acer roms were discussed. Long story short, even though we created a new thread that was 100% compliant with the stated rules and regulations of XDA it was closed and deleted with no notice.
Basically you need to be aware that there are MANY other quality roms that are availible outside XDA. Its sad that such a great resource has become the playground of a few elites in some of the sub forums but that is what happens when you get a few bad mods and a few bad apples.

BusyManNVA

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it is fair of you to disparage XDA just because they do something you don't agree with, especially when you do it somewhere outside their arena where they can't present their point of view. XDA has exploded in popularity over the last few years, and they are most likely deleting threads for ROMs that they don't host because they are a resource for people that DO host ROMs there. Think about it, would you expect a site like Amazon or Walmart.com to host a comments section about products that someone else sells?

Aaron C#AC

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Nope
I posted here because Android Central provides help to new users and much of that help leads to XDA (that is how I found them). I want to make sure that those who drift over there understand that XDA is VERY elitist (at least in the subforums I frequent....Evo, SG24gt, Acer). A year ago, I would have said if XDA does not recommend something, stay away, but with 2 very obvious very biased incidents (that dont involve me at all) happening in the last 2-3 months I feel a warning is needed. And there is TONS of discussion on Thors Rom on XDA. Its ok to ask for help getting it running, but if you happen to mention it in comparison to XDA hosted roms, or actively point out benefits of Thors Rom you get beaten, the gremlins come out and shortly the thread is deleted.
If you disagree, great, so noted, someone coming here can read both or opinions and use the info when they jump over there.

nuff said.

DogsOFdoom

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Good to see an xda user here " garbagecanman' here just got banned for telling a stupid troll. To piss off, yet he gets nothing for flaming up my thread? Xda is goin down hill....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
What are some of the alternate sources for ROMs? Please link a few of the best. I have trouble setting through all the Google results.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

markyoung04

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Funny I read the topic thinking "oh no another rant/complaint" - but I just downloaded the ICS release for the A500 (flashed it on my non-rooted tablet working AWESOME)...I read thru the entire thread (all 35 pages) and I could not believe the attitude of a few of the "old timers" - if you mess up or mis-read anything you get trashed and mocked as incompetent. Granted, some people are not able to fully understand directions when they are written by an advanced level developer, but these types of comments are all over - this is just a few pulled from one post I read - EXAMPLES:

FloatingFatMan - Personally, I'm inclined to leave anyone who leaps without looking, out in the cold where they belong.

FloatingFatMan - Oh FFS, don't you people EVER bloody read anything? The answer is in the stock ROM thread. Next time know what you're doing before you just leap into the dark.

FloatingFatMan - 95% of the pages in this thread is made of up people who don't have a clue what they're doing, seem totally incapable of reading the simplest of instructions (no, the OP isn't confusing in the slightest), and should never have tried to flash this ROM in the first place.

Small wonder they screw something up and they ruin the rest of the thread with questions they should never have needed to ask in the first place, and still wouldnt' need to ask if they clicked the search button.

FloatingFatMan - Once I had to learn. I did that by reading and following instructions and not being an idiot.

Mind you, I grew up 70's & 80's, back when anyone into computers had a brain and the wherewithal to learn about how things work, rather than people today who want it all handed to them on the plate.

FloatingFatMan - Seriously everyone. Have some common sense and READ THE DAMN THREAD before asking the same bloody question for the 1000th time... (ironic that this was the 298th post in the same thread).

FloatingFatMan - Quit being so lazy and read the thread. This is not a "safe" ROM, it's a leaked alpha build. If you don't know what you're doing, keep away.

jaizero - READ FIRST JUMP SECOND. If you dont know what you are doing wait for the OTA update. Stop bothering the Devs with questions that have already been answered time and time again.

Aaron C#AC

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Its good to see that others are seeing the light.
markyoung if you are looking for a GOOD ICS rom, go hit up thors ICS v96 it is 100% stable and just missing the camera. Odds are in the next week or so that will be fixed as welll, as well as the addition of cornerstone and the latest kernel.

There are a couple other threads in the xda acer 500 general section that are a great read on the whole xda going downhill. Its very sad that many can see the problem but there are a few who are keeping it from being solved.

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Yea I was over there reading that thread and decided not to try the ICS download because of the attitudes. Floatingassman is horrible and a few others are also. If you need help your an idiot attitude seems to be getting bad over there across the board. Definitely need better mods over there.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

lt thistle

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it is fair of you to disparage XDA just because they do something you don't agree with, especially when you do it somewhere outside their arena where they can't present their point of view. XDA has exploded in popularity over the last few years, and they are most likely deleting threads for ROMs that they don't host because they are a resource for people that DO host ROMs there. Think about it, would you expect a site like Amazon or Walmart.com to host a comments section about products that someone else sells?

You cant say something about it over at XDA, they wont let you. As soon as a mod found this thread it got closed. I try to stay away from XDA anymore, some of the people creating the unwelcoming atmosphere there just makes it not worth it.

rydo88

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Just for fair disclosure, has Thor started releasing his source code (especially as Android is open source)? This was why the whole Thor vs XDA thing happened. So if he's following GNU now, that's great. Otherwise, I must point out to anyone who stumbles across this, without disclosing his code, he could be writing all sorts of nasties into it (not that he does or would, but the possibility is there). In addition, any Android project not disclosing its source is in violation of the principle behind Android (an open environment).

In summary, XDA ROMs are subject to scrutiny, both from forum rules and a large community. Whether a few users are mean or not, doesn't affect the quality of what is found there. There's always a few on every site. As for other sources, use your own judgment. Is it clear what you are getting? Is this being done in a way in which you feel comfortable?

[This isn't meant to rile anyone up over the old dispute, just providing the counterpoint to the OP so that anyone unfamiliar with the subject can make an informed decision. The old 'And knowing is half the battle... GI Joe' {sing that last part}]

julesR

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
This is in response to what markyyoung34 said above. I have no knowledge of this Thor's rom or XDA's rules regarding its use and discussion on their boards.

To be fair to XDA, it needs to be noted that users continually ask questions, without searching first, in the development threads. The devs at XDA work for hours on end writing code, which they graciously share with the masses. They ask people to follow a few simple rules, read the whole dev thread, ask questions in GD, not the dev thread, and if you don't understand, don't do it. Yet they are bombarded with questios in the wrong place from people who should probably not be rooting their devices. The attitude described above, though not nice, was born of frustration rather than elitism.

Also, at is very bad form to be ranting about another forum and its users here where they can't defend themselves.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: partzman2

floatingfatman

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
This is in response to what markyyoung34 said above. I have no knowledge of this Thor's rom or XDA's rules regarding its use and discussion on their boards.

To be fair to XDA, it needs to be noted that users continually ask questions, without searching first, in the development threads. The devs at XDA work for hours on end writing code, which they graciously share with the masses. They ask people to follow a few simple rules, read the whole dev thread, ask questions in GD, not the dev thread, and if you don't understand, don't do it. Yet they are bombarded with questios in the wrong place from people who should probably not be rooting their devices. The attitude described above, though not nice, was born of frustration rather than elitism.

Also, at is very bad form to be ranting about another forum and its users here where they can't defend themselves.

^ Exactly this. I was just told of this thread by someone, who I thank, and after reading it, figured I'd register over here to post.

MarkYoung04: You seem to have singled me out for special attention, perhaps because I'm a prevalent poster over there, but what you failed to do was quote me within the context of the threads involved. This makes me out to be a horrible person when the opposite is true. I provide plenty of people over there with help when they have questions, but what DOES annoy me a lot is when people are utterly lazy and won't do anything at ALL to find the answers themselves. In many of those threads, the questions they were asking had been asked and aswered, multiple times, in the SAME threads.

XDA's rules on this are simple. When you have a question, search first. If you can't find the answer, THEN ask it. People get lots of leeway on that, but after the 20th repetition of the same question and answer cycle, it becomes time to tell people to stop being lazy; and yes, I can be quite abrupt in doing so.

I don't speak for XDA, I'm just another user, but XDA has NEVER been a site about helping lazy people who don't know what they're doing, fix their stupid mistakes. It's a developer site, intended for developers to explore and improve mobile devices. Sure, plenty of folks get helped, but at the end of the day, spoon feeding people who refuse to lift a finger to help themselves is not in the site's or the developers perview.

If you take a moment to research your problems, but still can't find a solution, then plenty of help is available. If, on the other hand, you're going to leap into the dark without knowing what lies inside. and then cry when you land in the stink, you deserve to be left in it.

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Ya have hade some of the same probs there are a lot of good people and have been helped a plunty over there but a lot over there are really rude if you need to ask a question I once asked about a command line command and I got a personal mesg. From a mod saying I need to read the thread and not to post stupid questions needles to say he hot an ear full from me and a nice BLOCK lol I turned him in not sure what happened have not been back after that.

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Also wanted to ad later that day before I had read the personal message. The op of the thread said he mis typed the command and had corrected it so the question I asked was a legit one

zpithika

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I completely agree that some people are rude on XDA. I am a user and avid reader of XDA forums and I get annoyed with people asking the same question over and over also. That being said, Ill never understand how yelling at someone will help anything. Its almost as though people go on specifically to call out others. I like to compare this situation to YouTube. I make videos on YouTube and time and time again, people will comment asking a question answered in the video or already answered in the description, etc. The best way to handle that is to leave it be. I find that on some days I'll be generous and answer the question. And other days I don't even respond and I don't get myself or others worked up over nothing. By being rude, you push people away from wanting to post. And i know people may consider ignoring someone rude but its still a much better solution than blowing up at them. I know that personally I barely post on XDA because the community just doesn't seem as friendly as Android Central. I have the utmost respect for the devs and the people there but instead of being rude and congesting the threads with hate, just ignore the post. I'm starting to get more annoyed with the rude comments than I am with the stupid questions. Everyone on XDA needs to chill and focus on what's most important. In this case, what's most important is how android is the best OS ever :) haha.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

Reactions: leroybrute

scarryman04

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
TegraOwners is the same way...I check it everyday and still have to go through 6 pages on the same thread that has over 300 pages and if anyone asks a question that was answered 50 pages ago people go ape sh*t on them. And all that does is congest the thread even more that is supposed to be about the ROM...and if you say something about them being rude and congesting the thread with even more irrelevant posts you get trolled saying that the dev will take care of that but clearly he doesn't and doesn't have any mods which make things even more out of hand

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I completely agree that some people are rude on XDA. I am a user and avid reader of XDA forums and I get annoyed with people asking the same question over and over also. That being said, Ill never understand how yelling at someone will help anything. Its almost as though people go on specifically to call out others. I like to compare this situation to YouTube. I make videos on YouTube and time and time again, people will comment asking a question answered in the video or already answered in the description, etc. The best way to handle that is to leave it be. I find that on some days I'll be generous and answer the question. And other days I don't even respond and I don't get myself or others worked up over nothing. By being rude, you push people away from wanting to post. And i know people may consider ignoring someone rude but its still a much better solution than blowing up at them. I know that personally I barely post on XDA because the community just doesn't seem as friendly as Android Central. I have the utmost respect for the devs and the people there but instead of being rude and congesting the threads with hate, just ignore the post. I'm starting to get more annoyed with the rude comments than I am with the stupid questions. Everyone on XDA needs to chill and focus on what's most important. In this case, what's most important is how android is the best OS ever :) haha.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

Couldn't have said it better!

Aaron C#AC

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

Jules

The reason I posted here is that any discussion is pretty quickly shut down at XDA. Here is another thread that I found exemplifies the issues with XDA and moderators who pick and choose to enforce rules.

All ICS leak based ROMs must go - xda-developers

In an nutshell, the OP pointed out that like THOR, the leaked roms do not have released source, and thus are in violation of XDA rules. This is a FACT. It is not debatable, PERIOD, end of story. What follows is a fairly good discussion, up until the mod gets involved. Instead of taking the time to respond, and make a point (I can think of 3 or 4 ways to defend XDA in this case) he simply ignores the issue and mocks the OP. Later, with no further comment, and if you read all the pages, no flames, or bad behavior, the mod realizes he looked stupid and locked the thread.

To restate since it may not have been clear....
1. XDA does not allow hosting of Thors ROM. I am 100% behind this. He made his choice, XDA is clear on the rules.

2. Someone above implied that because of Thors choice he could include all kind of warez etc. This is exactly the crap spewed over at XDA. Could he, yes. Would he? Why. If you truly knew the history, you know he did not stop releasing his source because he wanted to hide warez. He was tired of people stealing his work, making minor changes, and calling it their own. When he asked XDA to intervene, they did not. Why? Kinda my whole point.

3. XDA even confirmed in my thread over there that we could happily discuss Thors ROM, but could not link to it, etc. But, over time, most threads that start to turn a critical eye on the policies of XDA end up getting closed down. Of course there are 2 or 3 people who always manage to drag discussions down over there with off topic (giggles) or rude (corpulent buoyant males) and you can tell the thread is about to get crapped.

All that is a very wordy way of me saying that I started this thread, because my entry into XDA was via AC. I came HERE (from palm central) when I got my EVO, and from here found XDA. I think I am fairly typical in that you dont just jump into XDA, you are led there from other sites. I want the quality users from AC to know that they are leaving the warm comfort of AC forums and getting down into the mud over at XDA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol