1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default ICS update/rooting questions...

Hey guys, Im going to try and explain my situation as best I can. Im not a newb to rooting, etc, but I am no means an expert like most of you. So, with that said, here I go...

I had my Acer A500 rooted on honeycomb when I first bought, when it first came out. I then tried to do the OTA update of ICS many months back with no luck as it gave me the Triangle of death thing when it tried to install it. However it broke my root anyways even though ICS never installed. The weird thing though is that I finally realized my build version stated I was on ICS, but my Android version showed I was running 3.2.1 honeycomb!!!

Yesterday, I finally got fed up and spent hours searching this forum and others trying to find a solution.

On this page (), I tried flashing many of the full ROMs and update package ROMs and finally found one that worked under the update package...this one specifically (Acer_A500_7.014.16_041.206.01_COM_GEN1: ftp://94.23.233.147/Tablets/A500/Ace...1_COM_GEN1.zip). My tab booted and seems to be working fine and running 4.0.3 now.

So with all this said, my question to you Android Exerts...what the heck happened? How was I running an ICS build, but on honeycomb? Even though I flashed an update package, do I have a full ICS or do I need to flash a full ROM now?

If I need to flash a full ROM, which one should I do from the first link above?

I am also attaching a screenshot of my Acer tab to show you what Im running.

Please help and thank you to all in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ICS update/rooting questions...-2012-12-01_00-23-51_550.jpg  

Default Re: ICS update/rooting questions...

I have read this had happened to a few other users without reason as well, in fact some of them got totally borked.....

FYI, many peeps have borked their A500's too easily with updates & other ROMS, for some reason the A500 is finicky.....

As for another ROM I would chose one that has the highest ratings, reviews & forum support pages.

My Opinion: If you have a working ROM & out of warranty period I would leave well enough alone

Hope that may help a little

Tip: Never rush to download any APP "Updates", read the feedback for a few days so that you can see if other people are having issues with it and/or changes to permissions or other you may not want! Always use a Back Up APP!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Free DropBox! Back up to & Sync your Phone to your Computer Free! Always have your stuff when you need it with @ Dropbox . 2GB Plus account is Free! Plus earn up to 500 Mb's for each referral! Up to 32GB Free! http://db.tt/szmjeyX

Default Re: ICS update/rooting questions...

Hey everyone I have another question for you. I am new to the android Tablet and just purchased an acer a501. It has honeycomb 3.2.1 but will not install future updates. When searching for updates It says up to date. I did install the acer app that will at some time make it availiable to download the new OS, when availiable, and feel like I am just supposted to sit on my hands and wait. THe acer 100 tablets I got for my classroom uploaded the new OS right off the bat but I am having problems with the a501. Any recommendations?