Can Google Play Movies Play from an SD Card?

gaffcat

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I am going on a trip in the near future and I wanted some movies on my tablet. I downloaded several movies via Google Play onto my tablet and because I wanted to save space on my internal memory I managed to move the movie files onto the external sd card. The movies will not play now though. The first few seconds of the movies play and then they stop. I assume this has something to do with DRM as the files are called wvm files not wmv files. Is there any way to get around this? Where can I buy movies that will play from my external card? Should I download movies onto my pc first and then transfer to the external card on the tablet? If so where do I buy movies that can be moved to other devices?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The short answer is that content pinned to your device from Google Play Movies is available only from internal storage, and/or can be streamed from any other device connected to that account. It is possible to save them and watch them from an SD card with Root access. It may make more sense just to move some other stuff (pictures, etc) to the SD card or a cloud backup, etc for the same space saving goal. I may be mistaken, but I believe that this will be true for most, if not all, movie playing apps that allow you to legally purchase content playable on an Android device.

Side note: Discussion of methods and or apps used to circumvent copyright protection methodology is not allowed.

Scott Hayes2

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
I have purchased and downloaded some TV shows, some songs and one book from Google Play and have used them a lot. However they all seem to go directly to the internal storage even though the so-called "Default Write Disk" is set on SD card. The camera does however write directly to the SD card. I have other items on my wish list but I am down to 1.72GB of available space on my devise. Is there any way to solve this problem?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084