Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Anubis's Avatar

    Posts
    109 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Is there a alternative power cord?

    I just got a Iconia A500 and so far I like it but the included AC wall charger cable is really short. I've tried to find a wall charger with a longer cable but I can't find one. Does anyone know where I can get a wall charger with a longer cable?

    It's not just me that thinks the cable is REALLY short right lol
  2. #2  

    Default

    it's so short it's ridiculous, the one that comes with the xoom is like a mile long. (neither are a standard plug like a phone, which is sad)

    but to answer your question i have not seen a replacement longer one, at this point because the iconia is so new you might have to stick with one of those universal kits(but be very careful doing it)
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Anubis's Avatar

    Posts
    109 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Thanks for the reply. I thought about maybe getting one of those IGO universal kits but I honestly have no idea what to look at. I'm nervous I'll buy one that will fry it lol

    I didn't see it on Acer's website, do you know if at least they sell an extra one the same as it came with. I like to keep a charger at work. I wish everyone just used a universal standard when it came to stuff like this.

    I hope more accessory's become available for this tablet
  4. #4  

    Default

    I went to Radio Shack and picked up a Enercell universal 12v 1.5a power supply. They had a connector that matched, though it is a littler longer than factory connector and it doesn't have the grove that helps lock the connector into the charging port.

    I've used it for a couple of weeks now and it with out a problem.
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Anubis's Avatar

    Posts
    109 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by axoid View Post
    I went to Radio Shack and picked up a Enercell universal 12v 1.5a power supply. They had a connector that matched, though it is a littler longer than factory connector and it doesn't have the grove that helps lock the connector into the charging port.

    I've used it for a couple of weeks now and it with out a problem.
    Thanks I'll have to go check a radio shack.
  6. #6  

    Default

    The RS Enercell has a 6ft cord, much better than the stock P/S. The tip you want is the "G" tip, part number 273-324. What isn't so great is the brick is even bigger than the one that came with the A500 and is white. Not a deal killer, but definitely not optimal.

    I'm going to keep looking for a more portable option.
    Thanked by:
    Anubis 
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    Anubis's Avatar

    Posts
    109 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amc_oldsarge View Post
    The RS Enercell has a 6ft cord, much better than the stock P/S. The tip you want is the "G" tip, part number 273-324. What isn't so great is the brick is even bigger than the one that came with the A500 and is white. Not a deal killer, but definitely not optimal.

    I'm going to keep looking for a more portable option.
    For now I'll take the trade off to get the 6ft cord. Thanks for the info about which tip and the part number. Always makes things easier. If you find a better charger let us know.
  8. #8  

    Default

    If you google "ELK-P1216" you will find other sources which may have better prices.
  9. #9  

    Default

    I wish the power cable was longer as well. Would be nice if they had some sort of extension cable.
  10. #10  

    Default

    I went to Target and bought a 6ft extension cable for about $1.50 and have that connected all the time as the charger.

    I'm trying to find a link to it on Target's website for everyone's reference, if they are interested, but I can't seem to find it there. Oh well, I'm sure everyone here knows what an extension cable looks like and where they can get one.
  11. #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bawboh86 View Post
    I went to Target and bought a 6ft extension cable for about $1.50 and have that connected all the time as the charger.

    I'm trying to find a link to it on Target's website for everyone's reference, if they are interested, but I can't seem to find it there. Oh well, I'm sure everyone here knows what an extension cable looks like and where they can get one.
    That's what I'm using at home as well, but it's not practical trying to walk around on the go with an extension chord.
  12. #12  
    jbrown1114's Avatar

    Posts
    56 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    I'm not an A500 owner, so I don't know how short the factory cable is, but I saw this and remembered this thread , so I figured I would repost it for you guys. Hope it helps.

    Acer Iconia Tab AC Power Supply - Travel Pack LC.ADT0A.024 B&H
  13. #13  
    quadcam#CB's Avatar

    Posts
    81 Posts
    ROM
    retired crackberry abuser

    Default

    Thanks for the tip. I needed a car charger so I went to radio shack and pick up the Enercell 12v dc 2 amp charger ( up to 2amp) and the G tip part # 273-324. It doesn't have the grove in the tip so it does fall out but it works and that is all that matters.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Is there a alternative power cord?

    There's a listing on ebay which is for an Iconia car charger but it happens to come with a 6 foot extension for the wall adapter as well.

    Car Adapter Charger 4 Acer Iconia Tablet A500 Android 3 | eBay

    There's also a 6 foot one at electroniccrap.com for $15.

    AC Adapter for Acer Iconia - 4 Foot [AC_ICONIA] - $16.00 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
  15. #15  
    scarryman04's Avatar

    Posts
    829 Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean/ Thors ICS

    Default Re: Is there a alternative power cord?

    I'm purely judging by the name but I would ever buy anything from a website called crap.com lol
  16. #16  

    Default

    I bought this one from ebay and it's great.

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2M-UK-Plug...-/251040758791

    Think there are other versions for non-UK plugs too.

    Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

Posting Permissions