How do I automatically mount NFS/CIFS shares on Iconia without "rooting"

Sjonnie

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I would like to be able to (auto)mount NFS or CIFS shares (from my Synology NAS) without having to root my Iconia. I have searched the web and tried a few file managers but that has not brought me the solution.

Any thoughts?

Greetz,

Sjonnie

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I would like to be able to (auto)mount NFS or CIFS shares (from my Synology NAS) without having to root my Iconia. I have searched the web and tried a few file managers but that has not brought me the solution.

Any thoughts?

Greetz,

Sjonnie

Install a file handler, such as, but not limited to ES File Explorer. (Estrong, in the market).
Its free and it works great. I've dumped Astro due to the constant FC issue that has been
going on for months and months.

Sjonnie

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Install a file handler, such as, but not limited to ES File Explorer. (Estrong, in the market).
Its free and it works great. I've dumped Astro due to the constant FC issue that has been
going on for months and months.

Hi Icebike,

Tried that (and others) and it did not work.

Maybe I need to explain my wish a bit more: I would like my Iconia to automatically mount my NFS/CIFS shares when I am connected to my WiFi network. I would like to access the shares as if they were part of the Iconia. To explain a bit more I give you an example:

My Syno exports a share called Video (<ip address>:volume1/video). I would like to access it from my Iconia as: /mnt/<syno_name>_Video

I haven't found a file manager that gives me that option.

Or maybe I have done something wrong?

Looking forward to your reply.

Greetz,

Sjonnie

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi Icebike,

Tried that (and others) and it did not work.

Maybe I need to explain my wish a bit more: I would like my Iconia to automatically mount my NFS/CIFS shares when I am connected to my WiFi network. I would like to access the shares as if they were part of the Iconia. To explain a bit more I give you an example:

My Syno exports a share called Video (<ip address>:volume1/video). I would like to access it from my Iconia as: /mnt/<syno_name>_Video

I haven't found a file manager that gives me that option.
Sjonnie

Android is not going to auto-mount anything over wifi. (Well maybe if you are root and write some scripts).

But with the Estrong file manager, you can define CIFS (smb) shares that you use frequently.

Then you can hitt the Lan button at the top of the ESFileManager window, selecting the share you wanted, and find the content.

So lets assume you had a share published from some SMB/CIFS machine that had an IP of 192.169.1.3 and you had stuff arranged in directories such as Videos, Music, etc.

In ES file you define the share as 192.168.1.3/Videos and then put a user name and password in, and give it a display name something like Videos on Server. Or maybe it might be something like 192.168.1.1/users/icebike/MyMusic/iTunes/iTunes Music/Led Zeppelin or what ever.

When you press the Lan tab in ESFile manager, it shows you all the shares.
Tap a share, and it will start browsing files, and showing you a list. (Its fast).

Tap Video file and it will start playing. (But since you don't have a streaming engine, it will first buffer the whole thing to your Tablet, and then play it).

Tap a music file and it plays it. (starts instantly).

The word Automount has a definitive meaning. It means attach a remote file system to your local directory structure in a 'nix system. (or a drive letter in windows). There are all kinds of reasons you don't want a battery powered device trying to chatter across the lan to your servers all the time. (And there is a lot of chatter going on in a CIFS/SMB network.)

Therefore Android doesn't automount anything by itself, (except USB devices).

It has the capability using third party tools to let you browse and copy files back and forth on demand, but its not going to mount these unless you launch one of the many file managers you find in the market.

With a good file manager, you can open files directly from the remote share. Pictures, videos, music, documents, etc. But its not always the best idea. It makes more sense to copy it to local storage than to pull it from your LAN. Why run power hungry NICs when playing music or video?

Reactions: Sjonnie

Sjonnie

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi Icebike,

Thank you for your clear explanation of current possibilities. You are right in saying that auto-mounting network drives will drain the Iconia more then I would like it to. So I have decided to use your suggested app (Estrong) and make the best of what it and Android 3 has to offer.

I will have to look no further for the feature of auto-mounting and make due with what is possible. After all I can expand memory storage to a not-too-modest 64 GB:D

Greetz,

Sjonnie

Konsult Nisse

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi Icebike,

I guess you'r missing the point here.. what many user want to do is to connect to a "file share" over the network
and mount it in the local android file system so that ALL installed apps can see and use it.
Like most Linux systems been able to do since the 80's...

Use-case:
I have my DJ mixing app installed and I want to use that to play/mixing my 1.6TB legal copies of mp3's stored at my NAS.

To remove those very basic functions from the operating system are extremely stupid (my point..) and triggers bad coding behavior and in-consequent functionality. Also it wastes flash and RAM memory, when you have to insert the same code mass in all apps that need the function.

Best regards,
Konsultnisse

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci