Acer official case review

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I just got my official Acer case and here are some initial thoughts:

- It definitely has a strong smell. I'm sure it will disappear with a few days use but the smell out of the box is pretty jarring.

- Feels cheap. The case itself feels a lot cheaper than the equivalent apple case. Considering they are both the same price I was expecting at least a somewhat comparable product.

- The flap stays closed using Velcro. A magnet would have been a lot more elegant and wouldn't have cut too much into their high-profit margin.

-The front flap is especially wobbly. In stand mode, it feels like even a little too much pressure with tip it over. Also, the angle the stand sits the tab at is not conducive to touch typing. It's really only for viewing multimedia it seems.

- All of the ports, cameras, and speakers are accessible. This is about the only positive I can think of.

Conclusion: This case is definitely not worth the $40 asking price. I will probably keep it only because it's the only case available but you can rest assured I will be selling it once something of better quality comes along. Let's hope 3rd party manufactures step up to the plate. If this product is as successful as Acer says, then there should be more 3rd party accessories available soon.

Rating: 2/5

johncihak

Banned
Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the warning $40 is too much for a cheap product.

Now that Gateway will be selling the same model, and there are more retailers, I'm sure we'll see cases on ebay.

Myronbg

May 20, 2011
Visit site
My impression after a weeks usage is just the opposite. I had originally got the icrap case & I didn't like it. Didn't fit right & an elastic strap blocked part of the "return" button. The Acer case fits like a glove. I use it while on my recliner on lap while watching (more or less) TV & in bed on my side. Everything is accessible. The "stand" is a little flimsy, but I'm able to move it from one place to another with no problem. For me it was/is well worth the $

Fumetsu

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I like the case, but it collects dirt really easily. I'm constantly having to wipe it off with a wet cloth. It also makes the volume buttons, already somewhat difficult to use, even more awkward to adjust. But as far as protection and for use as a kickstand it does an awesome job.

bawboh86

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
There are only two things that annoy me about the case.
1) The tablet seems to slide a bit after a while.
2) No access to the microSD card.

Honestly, nothing serious. The smell really wasn't that bad, and it went away pretty quickly.

Fumetsu

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I noticed this too, especially the slide. I'm frequently having to adjust it and push it back into the case as it partially obscures the action bar when it slides forward.

I dont change out the SD card often, so while it is an issue it's not too debilitating if you dont frequently swap cards.

My main complaint with it is how easily it catches dirt and it can be a bit of a pain getting it in and out of the case if you need to clean it at all. If you can find it on Amazon or eBay for cheap I'd recommend getting it there. I got mine at Staples for nearly $40 dollars and found out afterward I had drastically overpaid (I've seen it for sale in places for around $20).

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
There are only two things that annoy me about the case.
1) The tablet seems to slide a bit after a while.

This could potentially be the most annoying thing about the case. It slides enough to cover the camera lens and also the light sensor. The apple case came with an extra flap that tucked into the back of the case to keep it from coming out. Just another little detail that was left out of this case that makes it not worth the money.

I will say that I have been using it for the past week and it's doing what it's supposed to do. I even don't mind the stand as much as I did at first. I'm still worried about how long this thing is going to hold up over time though. I have a strong feeling that it's going to start falling apart in a few months.

bawboh86

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
You should check out the case linked in this thread. It REALLY makes a difference and is MUCH better than the Acer official case. And I'm not usually a big fan of Targus products...

calan

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I like the case, but it collects dirt really easily. I'm constantly having to wipe it off with a wet cloth. It also makes the volume buttons, already somewhat difficult to use, even more awkward to adjust. But as far as protection and for use as a kickstand it does an awesome job.

EXACTLY, plus sometimes the case slips and blocks the camera:mad: