1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default USB Keyboard Acer A500 tablet

I have tried to use several USB keyboards with my Acer Inona a500 tablet and can not get any of them to work. I have tried both wired and wireless, When I get a chance i will try a bluetooth keyboard. any help on the matter would be appre

that's odd, and my USB keyboard worked right out of the box

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast Jelly Bean

Typing this now from my Iconia with a Logitech K120 keyboard (Special Cheapo Wal-Mart edition). No issues here. Which type of keyboards did you try to use? Try going into settings and changing the input method to the XT9 keyboard or download Tablet Keyboard from the market and plug your USB keyboard in after that and try using it.

Have you tried connecting other USB devices to the port, like a Thumbdrive, Mouse, etc? Could it maybe be a faulty USB port?

Also, which programs are you trying to type in? Just the browser? Are you using the stock browser or a 3rd party?
    My Phone: Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    My Tablet: Acer Iconia Tab A500

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast Jelly Bean

Download alogcat from the market, this will log system events.

When I plugged in my USB keyboard, the following events occured:

D/EventHub( 112): No input device configuration file found for device 'Logitech USB Keyboard'.
    I/EventHub( 112): New device: id=9, fd=184, path='/dev/input/event6', name='Logitech USB Keyboard', classes=0x3, configuration='', keyLayout='/system/usr/keylayout/Generic.kl', keyCharacterMap='/system/usr/keychars/Generic.kcm', builtinKeyboard=false
    I/InputReader( 112): Device added: id=9, name='Logitech USB Keyboard', sources=0x00000101
    D/EventHub( 112): No input device configuration file found for device 'Logitech USB Keyboard'.
    I/EventHub( 112): New device: id=10, fd=230, path='/dev/input/event7', name='Logitech USB Keyboard', classes=0x1, configuration='', keyLayout='/system/usr/keylayout/Generic.kl', keyCharacterMap='/system/usr/keychars/Generic.kcm', builtinKeyboard=false
    I/InputReader( 112): Device added: id=10, name='Logitech USB Keyboard', sources=0x00000101

You should get something similar when you plug in your keyboard, depending on the type of device it is. Save your alogcat file to a .txt document and upload it here, maybe we can help out.
    My Phone: Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    My Tablet: Acer Iconia Tab A500

ROM
    retired crackberry abuser

Just picked up a USB keyboard for my Acer & it works just fine out of the box. It's a Head Gear - Windows Mini USB Keyboard Model KB1700U ( cable, not wireless) an inch wider than the tablet and 3/4 of the height for only $14.95 at Office Depot. El cheapo. Works just like a keyboard does in windows and it will tab around the tablet windows, open files, save, delete, works in file manager, all that jazz. Only the F keys dont work of course. Not bad, would have liked a wireless usb but hey! for 14 bucks I dont plan on using it that much expect for long emails or docs so it will do. I search around for a wireless unit but for the price of 3 Pizza Mia's, can't beat it. Can always use it on the laptop instead of lugging around the larger usb one I have now. But wait! I have an ACer A 500 Tablet.............who needs a heavy, klunky, battery suxs laptop anymore..
    Also ordered a car mount for the Acer ( cup holder style that suits the truck I have) and a cute plastic moulded fold out stand for when you are using the keyboard for $16 bucks from the Mount Guys

Also found a zip up case for it at Office Depot for $ 38, just about anything for an ipad will fit perfect, just don't tell anyone your using ipad accessories..lol i who?

I just tested a wireless keyboard with mine, and it works well. Not sure what the problem is with your unit, but I'll be Fumetsu is onto something with a bad usb port. Have you tried hooking up a flash drive to the port and reading from that?

ROM
    retired crackberry abuser

opps make that Gear Head...with a long cord...hmm long cords & Acer???

Quote Originally Posted by quadcamos View Post
    opps make that Gear Head...with a long cord...hmm long cords & Acer???
    The gear head is the one I use too. Picked it up on clearance at Office Depot for $7.99.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

My flash drives work ok , I found a keyboard that works, I don't what was up with the other kbs they all worked with my laptop
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I have Found a couple keyboards that work, The Microsoft ARC wireless Keyboard does not work

I have a Dell USB Keyboard. Can't get it to work with my Acer.
    Thumb Drive works on using the USB drive though.