1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 16Gb Thumbdrive NOT Working

I have both 4Gb and 16Gb USB thumbdrives. The 4Gb works without a glitch when plugged into the A500, but the 16Gb draws a blank. it did not register as an USB external storage. Anyone having the same problem?

How about the micro SD card? The specs says it can accomodate up to 32Gb, anyone tried this? I am going to get one soon and just want to be sure that it works.

Regards
    Romy

How is the 16GB drive formatted? A lot of the larger ones have been coming formatted exFat which I'm not sure the A500 can handle.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewD2 View Post
    How is the 16GB drive formatted? A lot of the larger ones have been coming formatted exFat which I'm not sure the A500 can handle.
    The 16Gb drive is formatted as FAT32, same as my 4Gb drive.

Does anything else work with it? Like a USB keyboard or something? It may be the USB port. The Iconia was meant to handle FAT and FAT32 file systems. I suggest trying another device and seeing if it may be a wonky USB port.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

USB keyboard works and all my other 4Gb thumbdrives work as well. Only this 16Gb thumbdrive doesn't work on the A500 and I have confirmed it is formatted with FAT32. Very strange indeed.

Is there a separate partition on the thumb drive? I have a drive that has a "CD" partition that pops up every time I connect it to my computer. According to Acer, though, the A500 can only handle drives with a single partition.

Can you verify if your thumbdrive has more than one partition? Windows or Linux both should display more than one drive popping up when you connect it.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Only one partition and nothing else.

Same problem here: had a 16GB nano USB-Stick. It had been seen randomly by my A500 twice or so and each time the data on the stick were PHYSICALLY (!) partially deleted...
    I formatted the stick with SDFormatter as pure FAT32, no other partitions. No go...
    The stick went back to the shop. My other USB-drives, incl. a 500GB Harddisk and a digital camera and various pendrives from 1 to 8 GB are working without problems.
    Strange. Perhaps some Honeycomb problem that can be updated?