1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question USB Connectivity Problem

My Iconia A500 is not recognized by my WinXP SP3 Pro desktop when I connect the two with the supplied USB cable. I downloaded the USB driver (USB Driver_Acer_1.06.1500_A30H_A500) and during the installation I am informed to install Windows Media Player 11, then try again. I do not have WMP 11, nor do I want it on my desktop.

Is there anyway to get around mounting the Iconia A500 on a desktop via the USB cable without installing this driver?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast Jelly Bean

I'm running Windows 7 which has WMP built in, so the tab was Plug and Play for me, I didnt have to install a driver.

I did download the driver just to test it, however, and wasnt prompted to install WMP (probably because I already had it).

Does WinXP not detect the tab as a removable drive at all when you plug it in?
    My Phone: Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    My Tablet: Acer Iconia Tab A500

ROM
    retired crackberry abuser

Do you have all of the XP service packs installed? The Acer usb file was too large for my available space on my laptop, would have pushed me below 10% of available hard drive space, I'm pretty full up right now & that would have just slowed the laptop down.
    I just bypassed the whole usb connect to the laptop issue totally by transfering files to the Iconia either via bluetooth from the laptop to the iconia or Evo to the Iconia or using the usb flash drive to move files to the iconia from the laptop, works for me. Blue Tooth File transfer works great.

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast Jelly Bean

Try downloading Acer Sync, maybe that will give you the driver without having to install wmp.

Another guy started a thread similar to this one.

But the reason why it won't work on XP is because of media transfer protocol. MTP is an official extension of Picture Transfer Protocol. The USB Implementers Forum standardized MTP as a Universal Serial Bus (USB) device class in 2008.

Media Transfer Protocol supports the transfer of music files and media files on USB.

Vista and 7, this framework is built into the os but XP you need Windows Media Player 10 or above or Media Run time 11. Which sadly doesn't help your situation. There is always a more lightweight option (peppermint Linux or another lightweight distro - not Ubuntu, ugh) which I'm sure would give you ample hdd space and would be alot snappier for a laptop.

Linux and BSD users can get use F-spot.

Alot of device manufactures are adopting this protocol instead of having to develop their own, like Motorola, Intel, Creative, Samsung, Sony and Archos to name a few. I expect that list to grow. So in short, free up some hdd space and install player 10+ or keep doing what 're doing. Sorry couldn't be that helpful.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

All,

Thank you for all of the right on the mark reply's. The Iconia shows up in the Device Manager as a question mark device - not installed for use. Alas, I will install WMP 10 or 11 and get the correct media transfer protocol installed. It's a shame this can't be loaded without this installed. I am sure that once I install WMP, I will not have to install the USB file mentioned - std USB installed will likely work fine.

Thanks again.

Default Re: USB Connectivity Problem

I just spent over an hour with Acer about this same issue, first with the chat line and then a call to their support department. The first person I talked to wanted to know if I had the latest level of Android loaded, he said that this could make a big difference. After explaining for the fifteenth time that the tablet wasn't the issue, the problem was trying to load their driver on my XP PC.

Eventually, I asked to escalate to the next level of support. That person asked me what make of PC was I using, when I replied that it was a Dell, he said that was the problem, I had to use an Acer PC or contact Dell and perhaps they could supply me with a driver.

I tried to Media Player 11 as requested by the Acer driver....my version of XP doesn't support MP11.

Does anyone have a workaround for the USB cable?

Thanks