Thoughts on Acer Iconia Docking Station

reconboy

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
So received the new docking station for my Acer Iconia A500 and well might as well call it a Stand that you pay 60.00 plus for. You have to use the power supply that your tablet comes with to power the docking station, plus the model docking station for the the A500 does not have HDMI (not a big deal since there is one located on the tab itself).

Remote is pretty much useless right now except for using with memoplayer and to get back to the home screen (only works when you have power on the docking station).

Worth the cost? NO, but if they would add additional USB port to the Dock to expand on plus provide a power supply for the dock instead of forcing you to use the already ridiculously short power supply that came with your tab only then it might be worth the money.

So for now I would say save your money for now until Acer comes out with a different model docking station that allows A LOT MORE function to the unit.

Fumetsu

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info, I'm hoping the utility of the port will spur them to make a dock like the one for the Transformer. Time will tell. :)

reconboy

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Np, just figure I would give my thoughts on it. It may very among the users if they like it or not.

One other note too, is you cannot boot the tab up while on the dock. This causes the unit to hang up on the Acer Boot screen.

NyekonX

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this, I've been on the fence regarding the dock for a while. Hopefully price drops. Any opinions on a case? I ended up leaving Best Buy with this pretty lame sack... kind of like an iPhone sock :(

reconboy

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Not yet on the case I am still using a sack cover myself until there are more manufacturers that will make a case for it. I looked at the Acer case from Acer but it just seems to really lack of feel to me.

reconboy

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Just an update found it interesting that the tablet will accept a usb hub so I am able to run multiple items like usb hdd or thumb drive plus usb keyboard.. I may even try usb powered speakers tomorrow just to see if they work or not. Still feel left out since 3.1 is not here to take advantage of a usb mouse for our VMI system at work. Just so close to getting rid of my laptop permanently but I am still happy with my tab as is.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Seems to be the way cars are going anyway. I sat in a Tesla Model S, which has a 17" touchscreen LCD screen in portrait orientation in place of a center dashboard, with a fully customizable interface. It'd be a shame to crash that beautiful car because you were watching a cat video on YouTube.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress