PdaNet Tablet Beta

quadcam#CB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
PdaNet just released a Tablet version on the Market. It's currently beta.
It works on the Evo 4g and Acer Iconia. Follow the on screen instructions and make sure you clear the proxy before closing the program. Had to add the proxy twice in the first instance and then it worked each time after that.
Connection as slow on heavy data pages like AC and Google maps but worked fine on other pages and gmail.
Some bugs to iron out, showed no internet connection on some pages but was still working anyway, forced closed twice.
Install new tablet version on the phone and tablet.
Works on evo and transformer.
Go get it on the market before to vanishes.

Method for other phones/tablets.

Special thanks to Vdpluijm and Bob Smith at acus Tranformer forum for this tip.
Version/Droid method
Quote:
(1) When i connect my TF bluetooth to the Droid X bluetooth, the phone says: "Connected to panu" and the tablet just says "Connected"
(2) On phone, enable PDA server, allow discover. On tablet discover new phones, click on phone to connect.
(3) Tablet says "Connected!!!", Bytes: 0/0, Activities: 2/2
(4) Phone pops dialog: "Internet sharing request" title, Allow <tablet> to access internet sharing service? ([ ] always) Yes or No.
(5) Select Yes on phone. Immediately the tablet pops dialog: PdaNet Message: "bad receive". OK
(6) On phone, bluetooth settings, phone now says: "Connected to phone modem".
(7) Tablet fails to connect to internet.

Further attempts to #2..#4 result in tablet dialog: PdaNet Message title, "Fail to connect to Bluetooth server (java.io.IOException: Device or resource busy).

here is a new version, update both phone and tablet to v1.0.5.

But, the new version does *not* work (unless sneaky hack below to make it work):

With version v1.0.5 PdaNet Tablet, after my #5 step above there is no error message on the tablet. But, the browser does not work (yet) so you need a workaround.

The workaround is to add a step #8. Go to the PdaNet Tablet, on the tablet, click Set Network Proxy, and click Clear button, and Save button. What!!!?!!! Yes. That is what I said. You clear the proxy, AFTER you have already connected and followed all the steps. You HAVE to have the proxy set to connect first.

THEN it works fine. I can browse via bluetooth, check email, and importantly use Google Maps.

WARNING: PdaNet Tablet is BETA software, so version v1.0.5 just came out a couple hours ago for me. Your mileage may vary. Good luck.

==== UPDATE: You have to do step #8 immediately after the other steps, and *before* navigating away from the PdaNet Tablet application to check the browser (for example). If you navigate
away before step #8 this trick does *not* work.

Post your results/failures here for review.

Uncle_Chet

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Quadcaomos - thanks so much for the guidance. Sorry for the length of this post.

I am confused about step #8. I am able to tether my A500 to my Motorola Atrix using PdaNet Tablet 1.06 running on both devices. The phone shows "PdaNet is connected!" and the tablet shows "Connected!!" (I don't know if it makes any difference, but in getting connected, my steps prior to #8 are different that the ones you describe in that I do not experience steps 4, 5 or 6.)

After achieving the connection, when I attempt to navigate to a webpage, I get the message "No network connection. Browser cannot load this page because there is no internet connection."

I understand from your post that after I connect, but before I navigate away from PdaNet, on the tablet I should click Set Network Proxy, then click the Clear button, then the Save button. My problem is that I do not see a Set Network Proxy button or a way to get to that.

Here is the screen I see on the tablet when I have made the connection:

PDANet Tablet 1.06

Connected!!
Bytes: 0/0
Activities: 0/0
Battery 80%

At the bottom of the screen it says "Client is running".

How do I get to a "Set Network Proxy" option without navigating away from PdaNet?

A Note: When the devices both show that they are connected, when I go to Settings > Wireless & Networks > Bluetooth Settings on each device, the tablet shows that the phone ("MB860") is "Paired but not connected" and the phone shows that the tablet ("A500") is "Paired but not connected".

Another Note: After playing around with the devices for a while, I have gotten indications of activity, such as the PdaNet application on both the tablet and phone will both say "Bytes: 577/2K" and "Activities 1/1" on tablet and ""Activities 1/0" on phone, but I still cannot load a browser page.

Throughout my trials, the phone has been able to load browser pages.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

quadcam#CB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Connecting Pdanet Tablet 1.06 from the Evo as the server to the A500 as the client is very easy. The method may be different on your Atrix. The extra connection instructions steps 1 to 8 were tested by Bob Smith with a Transformer & a Droid X, again it may vary with the Atrix and your service provider?

On the Evo it works like this:
Open Pdanet on the Evo
Click "Enable PdaNet Server"
Click Yes on Bluetooth permission request ( even though Bluetooth is running on the evo)
You then get a message on the evo that Bluetooth DUN service is running. (Running as server)

Then on the A500
Open padnet
Click on Set Network Proxy
type 127.0.0.1 (proxy)
tab
type 1234 (port)
tab
You'll get a message that "connected" running as client

Then hit the left navigation button on the A500 and then open up either the stock browser or Dolphin HD ( works on both) you'll get a message that there is no internet connection, ignore that as the browser does not reconnize the proxy settings, then open up any web page and away you go.

The connection does drop off or disappear after about 10 minutes? that's odd but then we are in Beta here so that may be why. Simply disconnect and reconnect again.
Connection speed seems to vary and depends on how good a connection the evo is receiving, 3 g or less sometimes but I have had it connect reasonably fast on a poor connection. Again it's in Beta so there may be something amiss at this point.
Google maps connects but does not focus nor can it find 'your location' That's due to way in which google maps, navigation, places connects to the internet & the beta version does not support that type of connection. But web browsing, market and gmail etc works fine if maybe a little slow and seems to disconnect even though it says it's still connected.

The most important issue is clearing the proxy BEFORE closing the connection to the phone.
When you are done browsing, open pdanet tablet on the A500, it will still be running.
Click on set network proxy
Click clear proxy
click save
close pdanet tablet on the a500
then disable pdaNet on the phone.
Clearing the proxy is important otherwise you may lose the internet connection on the phone. I have not dare to test that, I am taking pdanet at their word just to be safe.

I tried clearing the proxy, step #8 after setting the proxy but this did not work on the evo.

Set Network Proxy button should be on the pdanet tablet on the A500 when you open it up.

Try using the stock browser it seems to connect better on the A500 for the pdanet and also some wifi connections.

You may need to play around with the steps to get the Atrix to connect, I don't have another phone to test with.

Interesting with the evo & the A500, if I connect the evo & A500 via the usb cable while connected using pdanet, it disconnects the bluetooth connection (quietly in the background) and won't load web pages, if I then disconnect the cable while still connected to pdanet, it works fine again.

I'm sure they'll release an updated version of pdanet tablet that will address some of these issues, I can be patient.

Does that answer your question? unfortunaley ( or as the techs in Best Buy will say, as it turns out ...ha) I don't have another phone to test these methods on.

Uncle_Chet

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Quadcamos, thanks very much for the reply. I did have a misunderstanding that you have clarified for me. I think I am basically doing it correctly. I just hope my problems get resolved as the software improves. I really appreciate your contributions.

gpgofast

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Downloaded PDANet Tablet to my HTC Incredible and new Samsung Galaxy tab, followed insructions and everything worked perfect. Software version 1.06:D

Cellfreak

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Just found out how to do step #8 on the Acer Iconia A100.
Once you get connected. Press your Task Switcher button ( To right of the Home button lower left )
Select your Proxy settings screen and clear / Save. Now the Browser will connect.

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the great instructions. Like so many Android Programs there is not enough documentation with the programs and not much more help on the writers web site.

I kept getting to the point where it told me there was no connection and went back and started over! I can't believe my Galaxy Tab lied to me!

Extraclass

quadcam#CB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
How is the pdanet working out on the A100, I'm still getting spoty connection on the 500. Haven't had much time to play with the acer lately, too busy, everything has been on the evo on the run, which is GREAT! but hoping to get back into the tablet soon and play with the pdanet and improve the connection or look elsewhere. Was hoping they would bring out the full version soon. Guess it's 'bout time to root, if I can find the time to do it :)

lgHaole

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently using pdaNet on my Nexus One and 2 different laptops - one with Bluetooth and one with USB ... works great on both!

I would now like to use pdaNet on my new Galaxy 10.1 ... Will I have 2 pdaNet server versions on my phone or can I just run with the pdaNet 3.1 Beta and still connect both of my laptops?

Nexus One: Android OS 2.3.4
Galaxy Tab 10.1 Android OS 3.1

bobzam

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
PdaNet just released a Tablet version on the Market. It's currently beta.
It works on the Evo 4g and Acer Iconia. Follow the on screen instructions and make sure you clear the proxy before closing the program. Had to add the proxy twice in the first instance and then it worked each time after that.
Connection as slow on heavy data pages like AC and Google maps but worked fine on other pages and gmail.

With version v1.0.5 PdaNet Tablet, after my #5 step above there is no error message on the tablet. But, the browser does not work (yet) so you need a workaround.

The workaround is to add a step #8. Go to the PdaNet Tablet, on the tablet, click Set Network Proxy, and click Clear button, and Save button. What!!!?!!! Yes. That is what I said. You clear the proxy, AFTER you have already connected and followed all the steps. You HAVE to have the proxy set to connect first.

THEN it works fine. I can browse via bluetooth, check email, and importantly use Google Maps.

WARNING: PdaNet Tablet is BETA software, so version v1.0.5 just came out a couple hours ago for me. Your mileage may vary. Good luck.

==== UPDATE: You have to do step #8 immediately after the other steps, and *before* navigating away from the PdaNet Tablet application to check the browser (for example). If you navigate
away before step #8 this trick does *not* work.

Post your results/failures here for review.

Basic question. I just got an Android Sony s tablet and installed PDAnet on tablet. My phone is a HTC Ozone Smartphone.

Do I need an Android phone to use PDAnet on Android Tablet????????

I am a PDAnet user with phone and my laptop.

amypoole

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Greetings,

I was looking for a more stable Bluetooth tethering app and I found PDANet Tablet on the marketplace. It seemed to get decent reviews on there... so I downloaded it, followed the directions and it worked... well partially. It allowed me to use my browser and email. All other applications that needed internet access failed connection. So I felt it was not what I wanted, cleared the proxy settings, and uninstalled it. Now, my marketplace has no connection and most all of my apps that need connaction no longer can connect. I'm literally sick to my stomach grieving over this fubar of my tablet's internet connectivity. Anyone have any suggestions because I really don't want to have to reset my tablet back to the beginning of time. I am using a Motorola Xoom, currently connected to Wifi.

Significantly Sick,
Amy Poole :'(

anto0102

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
@AmyPoole - clear your proxy settings and hit "save." You need to reset the proxy to get WiFi to work again.

To everyone else, has anyone got a Samsung (Infuse) Android device to work on the A500? I can get everything to connect - seems stable. Even if I clear the proxy after connection or try using it with the initial proxy settings, I can't get anything to load. Wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Two things I think I should note:
- I've yet to see the Connection show any byte activity.
- The bluetooth symbol at the top of my Samsung Infuse does not appear to be connected - there are n0 < > around the bluetooth symbol in the task bar.

Thanks all.

:cool:

Last edited:

amycase77

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm having trouble with my pda.net tablet program on my ASUS tablet. I have an HTC Droid that I am trying to bluetooth connect. Both the tablet and phone successfully downloaded the app. It connects but then my browser says I have no connection.....am I doing something wrong?:(

WebViper

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I had the same type of thing on my ASUS tablet. I installed the program and could not get it to work so I cleared the proxy settings and then removed PDAnet.

Now my tablet shows it is connected to my home WiFi but i can't connect to anything.

I don't know how to get back to the proxy settings and see if I removed everything. I am guessing this is the issue.

HELP.

@AmyPoole - clear your proxy settings and hit "save." You need to reset the proxy to get WiFi to work again.

To everyone else, has anyone got a Samsung (Infuse) Android device to work on the A500? I can get everything to connect - seems stable. Even if I clear the proxy after connection or try using it with the initial proxy settings, I can't get anything to load. Wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Two things I think I should note:
- I've yet to see the Connection show any byte activity.
- The bluetooth symbol at the top of my Samsung Infuse does not appear to be connected - there are n0 < > around the bluetooth symbol in the task bar.

Thanks all.

:cool:

WebViper

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I just spoke with ASUS support and their answer is reset to factory default. At this point that is not an option!

I hope the PDANET support will reply soon!

WebViper

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I had uninstalled PDANET. I did the reset and all is well now. Not I got to set all of my email back up. Their were some things I wanted to do over anyway! It is just sad that no one knows how to reset the proxy settings in Android.

scarryman04

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I had uninstalled PDANET. I did the reset and all is well now. Not I got to set all of my email back up. Their were some things I wanted to do over anyway! It is just sad that no one knows how to reset the proxy settings in Android.

I don't think its a matter of anyone not knowing how to do it, I just don't think there is that option.

What I thought was proxy settings are configured from a browser...not the OS, and no browser I have used has those settings, please correct me if I'm wrong tho.

WebViper

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes you are right it seems to be a proxy setting deep in the OS not browser or WiFi account level. I tried to check the settings of my WiFi but it said their was NO proxy set up!

DO NOT SET A PROXY SERVER IN THIS OS!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vszvvone88