Galaxy Tab 10.1 Hands-on From the Perspective of an Iconia Owner

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I live in New York, so today I had the opportunity to step into the Union Square Best Buy and play with the exclusive 10.1 inch Galaxy Tab. I own the Iconia, but as of today I have exactly a week remaining on my return period. Thus, I wandered into the Best Buy in order to discover what the hype is about, whether it is indeed worthwhile to return the Iconia for perhaps the most discussed and highly reviewed Honeycomb tablet out there. What follows is my brief hands on review. Hopefully it will help anyone on the fence between the Galaxy Tab and the Iconia Tab.

Let me start off by saying this: to say that the Galaxy Tab is a gorgeous device is, quite simply, a severe understatement. As a matter of fact, calling it an understatement is an understatement in itself. Yes, it is that stunning. Samsung has always been proficient when it comes to superficial aesthetics, yet they have outdone themselves with the Galaxy Tab. The thing is remarkably thin, unfathomably light, and uncharacteristically easy to hold. Yes, it uses plastic throughout virtually the entire device. The Galaxy Tab, however, feels deceptively sturdy. There are no creaks, nothing seems loose or out of place, and the entire device is just bewitching to look at. Now, the Iconia is no slouch. The brushed aluminum design lends it a sturdy and appealing design. There is no comparison, however, with the Galaxy Tab. Pictures simply do not do it justice. The thing is remarkable.

That being said, however, the experience of using the Galaxy is uncannily similar to that of using the Iconia. Both, after all, harbor virtually the same internals. Performance, therefore, is predictably very similar. As a matter of fact, I witnessed some stutter and lag when scrolling through the homescreens (in landscape mode) on the Galaxy Tab, definitely a little bit more than on my Iconia Tab. The difference, however, is negligible enough.

Now, on to the screen. Contrary to popular belief, the Galaxy does NOT have a superior screen to the Iconia. Both share (I believe) identical resolutions. The only place where the Galaxy Tab wins in the screen department is the fact that you do not see the grid pattern and the dots that are visible in direct light on the Iconia's screen. Personally, I rarely see the grid pattern from my viewing angle on the Iconia, but if this is potentially cumbersome or bothersome to you, then the Galaxy might have a slight edge on the display (not in terms of quality, but rather mere design).

Perhaps the largest and most lucid difference between the Iconia and the Galaxy, however, arises in the connectivity department. The Iconia, to state it bluntly, simply destroys the Galaxy Tab in terms of connectivity and peripherals. The Acer has USB, MicroSD, and HDMI inputs. The Galaxy has, well, nothing at all. Perhaps this is the sacrifice for thinness, but the Galaxy Tab, like the iPad, lacks any connectivity other than the dock/charger connector and the headphone jack. You either get 16 or 32 Gigs, and you are stuck with that decision for the rest of your Tablet's life.

So, there it is. If you are an individual that places a great emphasis on design and aesthetic appeal, than the Galaxy Tab wins, bar none. If, however, you are more concerned about pragmatism and connectivity, the Acer Iconia is the clear winner. Now, of course Samsung is more prominent in the mobile market than Acer. This will perhaps best manifest itself in the availability of updates. It is, however, too early to tell how Acer will react to updates, so I will not elaborate on this point if there is nothing to elaborate on. I still have a week on my return decision, but I am 99% certain that I will stick with the bulkier Iconia Tab. The 16GB version of the Samsung is merely $50 more than the Iconia 16GB, but as aforementioned, the Iconia offers greater flexibility in terms of microSD and USB storage. Nevertheless, I hope this thesis paper that I wrote helps, and if you have any other questions about the Galaxy Tab, ask away :)

reconboy

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Nice write up! I do believe I am staying with Acer though.. Now if we can just get Acer to launch 3.1 for us since Asus, Moto and Samsung have released it to their tabs would be awesome

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Nice write up! I do believe I am staying with Acer though.. Now if we can just get Acer to launch 3.1 for us since Asus, Moto and Samsung have released it to their tabs would be awesome

Thanks! I believe that the update to 3.1 is supposed to come out towards the end of June... I'm REALLY hoping we get it, it might be a good indicator of whether or not Acer plans to update our devices.

jharo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I've been looking at tablets/iPads for awhile. For myself, I think the Iconia way out does all others because of it's connectivity. It may not be the best in the other departments, but it's not far behind.

Fumetsu

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I took my Iconia to Vegas with me and the USB port was invaluable in keeping my EVO charged when I was away from a charger for extended periods. I couldn't see myself exchanging it for any tab that did not have the full USB.

Great writeup!

Reactions: Charlesleonard

bawboh86

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe tablets are being released without microSD support, at least when it comes to Android. Then again, I was surprised when the nexus s was released without microSD support. Guess that's just how Samsung likes to roll. I'm more about functionality than looks though, so I shall be sticking with my Acer. If I wanted a tablet that was pretty but didn't have the expandability, I would have gone with an iPad. :D

Great write up!

Fumetsu

May 23, 2010
Visit site
It seems like they are going more and more towards thinner devices to compete against Apple. That's important for some i suppose, but I prefer the utility of the Iconia. Now that I've had it, I couldn't imagine not having USB or micro SD expansion. It continues to be what sets the Iconia apart.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully the galaxy tab will sell in high volumes. This way, more people will adopt honeycomb, hopefully resulting in a greater degree of support for honeycomb (both in terms of developing and future platform updates).

reconboy

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Regardless of how thin all others are trying to make their tablets all that matters to me is the full function of the device vs being all prettied up. To be honest the Iconia is not that heavy and pricing is even more valuable.

literally I am very close to cutting all ties to my work pc since this tablet is capable of almost doing all functional things of a laptop. The only thing that does bother me a bit is you have to restart the tab in order for it to recognize new USB devices that you hook up to it if the tablet was already running but this is a VERY SMALL issue.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I had to return my Iconia Tab because it had a hardware defect. Acer's tech support said I could send it in for repair. Since I was still under my 14 day return policy, I returned it to the store. As I was about to exchange it for another unit, I learned that the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 would be available for pre-order this week.

I was very hesitant about getting the Galaxy because lack of USB support. After learning they have a USB adapter that simply plugs into the unit, I was sold.

The Iconia was nice, but it was rather on the heavy side. I knew it had a lot of plug in for devices, but I realized I would rarely use any of those. I would much rather have a lighter & thinner device. Especially if I'm holding it a lot while surfing the web.

I didn't give the Galaxy 10.1 serious thought at first because it lacked SDcard support. That same day my 8 GB SDcard on my Android phone failed & I lost all of my files. Luckily I had a backup of the files from when I did a backup about 2 weeks ago. All files within the past 2 weeks were gone...forever! After loosing my files I didn't see the need to put all of my apples into using an SDcard. I'm now using the cloud more. (DropBox, SugarSync, & Google Docs). That way I can access my files from any location & from any device.

I also like the fact that the Galaxy 10.1 has a detachable USB & DC adapter configuration for charging. By detaching the DC adapter, the device can be charged through a laptop or PC, as well as a USB car charger. I couldn't find a car charger for the Iconia. I do have a DC converter that I could use in my car and plug the Iconia to it, but I would have to deal with the noisy fan of the converter. So I'd say the Galaxy is better as far as having various ways of charging the device.

Here's the link on the USB adapter for the Galaxy 10.1
Samsung Galaxy Tab?„? 10.1 (Wi-Fi Only) ?€“ 16GB Black | Samsung GT-P7510/M16

Last edited:

eric6052

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I had to return my Iconia Tab because it had a hardware defect. Acer's tech support said I could send it in for repair. Since I was still under my 14 day return policy, I returned it to the store. As I was about to exchange it for another unit, I learned that the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 would be available for pre-order this week.

I was very hesitant about getting the Galaxy because lack of USB support. After learning they have a USB adapter that simply plugs into the unit, I was sold.

The Iconia was nice, but it was rather on the heavy side. I knew it had a lot of plug in for devices, but I realized I would rarely use any of those. I would much rather have a lighter & thinner device. Especially if I'm holding it a lot while surfing the web.

I didn't give the Galaxy 10.1 serious thought at first because it lacked SDcard support. That same day my 8 GB SDcard on my Android phone failed & I lost all of my files. Luckily I had a backup of the files from when I did a backup about 2 weeks ago. All files within the past 2 weeks were gone...forever! After loosing my files I didn't see the need to put all of my apples into using an SDcard. I'm now using the cloud more. (DropBox, SugarSync, & Google Docs). That way I can access my files from any location & from any device.

Here's the link on the USB adapter for the Galaxy 10.1
Samsung Galaxy Tab™ 10.1 (Wi-Fi Only) – 16GB Black | Samsung GT-P7510/M16

That's cool. I'm glad you found the device that wiporks best for you. That's one of the best parts of Android is having the choice of devices that best meet your needs and priorities.

Arnieaz

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
thumb drive

Regardless of how thin all others are trying to make their tablets all that matters to me is the full function of the device vs being all prettied up.

The only thing that does bother me a bit is you have to restart the tab in order for it to recognize new USB devices that you hook up to it if the tablet was already running but this is a VERY SMALL issue.

On my Iconia, I can insert a thumb drive and it is recognized after a very short time without the reboot! Every time:D

quadcam#CB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Have no problems with the Iconia and a USB and micro SD sets it apart from the competition
It also functions on a std windows micro USB keyboard
Car charger for the Iconia
Radio Shack Enercell 12 v DC 2amp with tip adapter to fit the Iconia. The tip adapter you need is a "G" tip and the part # 273-324 and the tip is postive +. The tip is slightly longer and does not have the groove that locks it into the charger slot but it works just fine. Comes in a flexable cord or really long cord. Enercell also have ac chargers using the same "G" tip adapter.
Car charger part# 270-052 G tip adaptor part # 273-324

darthbubba

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Now, of course Samsung is more prominent in the mobile market than Acer. This will perhaps best manifest itself in the availability of updates.

LOL! Seriously?! I have a Samsung Fascinate through VZW, and if it weren't for the great work done by the community on custom ROMs, I would've kicked it to the curb LONG ago. Samsung builds pretty good hardware, but their support on the software and/or firmware side is just laughable.

Fumetsu

May 23, 2010
Visit site
With respect, they're taking steps to improve their reputation with updates. They're doubling down on Android and I think Google is going to strongarm the OEMs into quicker updates. I guess we'll see if it plays out, but I don't think we'll have a repeat of the Galaxy S Froyo fiasco.

tlphipps

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I just wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this post (especially the op who started it off). I'm currently trying to decide between the acer, asus, and samsung. The feedback and comparisons here were excellent and helped me immensely.

I currently have an archos unit with sd and usb ports running froyo, but I've found for my needs i don't really use them often, but they're invaluable for me when i need them. So I'm thinking galaxy tab may be the best choice for me. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks again all.

tdelta1000

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Galaxy Tab 10.1 Hands-on From the Perspective of an Iconia Ow

Great write up. I too have an A500 and love it. I could not see owning any other tablet. Here's what I found about the Gal Tab 10.1 that I like:

The controls: The buttons are easier to press
The weight: The weight was nice and no other tab above 8.9 inches compete.
The dock: Small and light but something else to carry.

Other than the two items listed, the Gal Tab 10.1 is equal to the A500.

sonofdroid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site

Well thanks, I now have another reason to keep my xoom. Although I thought Acer had a nice display I thought with all the hype on the samsung 10.1 display that it would have blown the Acer out of the water.I'm saving my money and time for now. So far nothing comes close to the BB playbooks display but that's a whole other story. Nice write up. Thanks.

skycop51

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

I live in New York, so today I had the opportunity to step into the Union Square Best Buy and play with the exclusive 10.1 inch Galaxy Tab. I own the Iconia, but as of today I have exactly a week remaining on my return period. Thus, I wandered into the Best Buy in order to discover what the hype is about, whether it is indeed worthwhile to return the Iconia for perhaps the most discussed and highly reviewed Honeycomb tablet out there. What follows is my brief hands on review. Hopefully it will help anyone on the fence between the Galaxy Tab and the Iconia Tab.

Let me start off by saying this: to say that the Galaxy Tab is a gorgeous device is, quite simply, a severe understatement. As a matter of fact, calling it an understatement is an understatement in itself. Yes, it is that stunning. Samsung has always been proficient when it comes to superficial aesthetics, yet they have outdone themselves with the Galaxy Tab. The thing is remarkably thin, unfathomably light, and uncharacteristically easy to hold. Yes, it uses plastic throughout virtually the entire device. The Galaxy Tab, however, feels deceptively sturdy. There are no creaks, nothing seems loose or out of place, and the entire device is just bewitching to look at. Now, the Iconia is no slouch. The brushed aluminum design lends it a sturdy and appealing design. There is no comparison, however, with the Galaxy Tab. Pictures simply do not do it justice. The thing is remarkable.

That being said, however, the experience of using the Galaxy is uncannily similar to that of using the Iconia. Both, after all, harbor virtually the same internals. Performance, therefore, is predictably very similar. As a matter of fact, I witnessed some stutter and lag when scrolling through the homescreens (in landscape mode) on the Galaxy Tab, definitely a little bit more than on my Iconia Tab. The difference, however, is negligible enough.

Now, on to the screen. Contrary to popular belief, the Galaxy does NOT have a superior screen to the Iconia. Both share (I believe) identical resolutions. The only place where the Galaxy Tab wins in the screen department is the fact that you do not see the grid pattern and the dots that are visible in direct light on the Iconia's screen. Personally, I rarely see the grid pattern from my viewing angle on the Iconia, but if this is potentially cumbersome or bothersome to you, then the Galaxy might have a slight edge on the display (not in terms of quality, but rather mere design).

Perhaps the largest and most lucid difference between the Iconia and the Galaxy, however, arises in the connectivity department. The Iconia, to state it bluntly, simply destroys the Galaxy Tab in terms of connectivity and peripherals. The Acer has USB, MicroSD, and HDMI inputs. The Galaxy has, well, nothing at all. Perhaps this is the sacrifice for thinness, but the Galaxy Tab, like the iPad, lacks any connectivity other than the dock/charger connector and the headphone jack. You either get 16 or 32 Gigs, and you are stuck with that decision for the rest of your Tablet's life.

So, there it is. If you are an individual that places a great emphasis on design and aesthetic appeal, than the Galaxy Tab wins, bar none. If, however, you are more concerned about pragmatism and connectivity, the Acer Iconia is the clear winner. Now, of course Samsung is more prominent in the mobile market than Acer. This will perhaps best manifest itself in the availability of updates. It is, however, too early to tell how Acer will react to updates, so I will not elaborate on this point if there is nothing to elaborate on. I still have a week on my return decision, but I am 99% certain that I will stick with the bulkier Iconia Tab. The 16GB version of the Samsung is merely $50 more than the Iconia 16GB, but as aforementioned, the Iconia offers greater flexibility in terms of microSD and USB storage. Nevertheless, I hope this thesis paper that I wrote helps, and if you have any other questions about the Galaxy Tab, ask away :)
this is just what the doctor ordered. I luckily just found the Acer tablet and was impressed with the specs. I am a Samsung fan and own the 7" and it is great. But want a big tablet and that is what I was going to get. Not now I have found the Acer and know there are some issues but think all the new honeycomb will or do have. Updates will fix much of those. I am going to pick this up on the 1st of the month. Deal done!

wxman123

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Well thanks, I now have another reason to keep my xoom. Although I thought Acer had a nice display I thought with all the hype on the samsung 10.1 display that it would have blown the Acer out of the water.I'm saving my money and time for now. So far nothing comes close to the BB playbooks display but that's a whole other story. Nice write up. Thanks.

The hype on the 10.1 screen is correct and the OP is not. I also own the PB and know just what you're talking about. The Acer was unusable to me after being accustomed to the PB's screen. The 10.1 is on par with the PB, MAYBE a tad less great, but hard to compare the 10.1 with a 7" screen. The Acer is in an entirely different class, believe me.