Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Car Charger for A700 ???

Has anyone found a suitable car charger for the A700 ?

I can't seem to find a car charger that puts out the correct 12V 18W 1.5A that the A700 requires to charge.

I currently use the wall charger + a power inverter in my car, but I'd like to stop that if possible.

Global Posts
    1,656 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Default Re: Car Charger for A700 ???

Quote Originally Posted by Angus66 View Post
    Has anyone found a suitable car charger for the A700 ?

I can't seem to find a car charger that puts out the correct 12V 18W 1.5A that the A700 requires to charge.

I currently use the wall charger + a power inverter in my car, but I'd like to stop that if possible.

Black Car Charger For Acer ICONIA TAB A700 A510 A200 A100 A500 W500 on eBay!
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

How would the charger you linked to work? It has a completely different connector on the end. The A700 uses a micro USB connector but that charger has a barrel/round end on it...

Global Posts
    1,656 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

How would the charger you linked to work? It has a completely different connector on the end. The A700 uses a micro USB connector but that charger has a barrel/round end on it...
    Well... good point! I Googled and came up with that. Have you thought about a usb adapter... usb plugs into the adapter which plugs into the cigarette lighter? Those do have a tendency to charge slower... worth a try though.

Global Posts
    1,656 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Well... good point! I Googled and came up with that. Have you thought about a usb adapter... usb plugs into the adapter which plugs into the cigarette lighter? Those do have a tendency to charge slower... worth a try though.

For Acer Iconia Tab A700 (10.1) Black Compact High Output Dual USB Port Car Charger DC Plug in Adapter
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Like a large amount of car/wall chargers currently sold, that charger only supplies 5V to your device. This is fine for a lot tablets to charge, but not the Acer A700. The A700 requires 12V to charge correctly...

Global Posts
    1,656 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Like a large amount of car/wall chargers currently sold, that charger only supplies 5V to your device. This is fine for a lot tablets to charge, but not the Acer A700. The A700 requires 12V to charge correctly...

How's this:

Rayovac PS70 Dual USB Car Charger 2 Amp 12 Volt for MP3 Players | eBay
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

That charger has 12V in (from your cigarette lighter) but only 5V out to the device to be charged...

USB Chargers will not work, as stated you need 12v not 5v, so use a 12v to110v inverter for your car, can get one at almost any hardware or building center, you plug it into your can 12 volt socket on the dashboard and you plug the wall transformer that came with your Iconia Tab A700 into the 110v socket on the inverter, been doing this since I bought the unit the end of last summer, many many car trips later and still fully charged both while using and just sitting.
    Just look up car inverter in a search engine, you only need a 100 to 200 watt unit (75 watt may work not sure), which plugs in the socket, you do not need a larger unit that has to be hard wired.
    Goodluck

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

So the only answer is to convert 12v DC to 110v AC then back to 12v DC?
    Ridiculous.

If I had a spare charger & tablet, I'd cut the cord & wire a pair of automotive barrel adapters in-line. First a female jack, then a male plug. Connect them to charge from AC, disconnect to charge from car. As it is, I'm not risking mine.

Anyway, my charger says the input is only 0.5A, so a 12v DC to 110v AC inverter only requires 55W output. I'd go with 75W.
    Last edited by tiny_hands; 08-05-2013 at 11:16 AM.