move from ATT GS4 to GPE GS4

mjolsen74

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey..

So, I am a noob to android having had every iPhone since its inception I saw the light :)

Anyways, I have an AT&T GS4 (MF3.. so no bootloader unlock). I just purchased a Google Play Edition.

How do I move everything over to the GPE? Is there a simple way, or do I just login with my google account and everything syncs to this new phone? I plan on swapping the SIM and SD card.

I know on the apple ecosystem you can simply restore and all items come back (SMS, email accounts, pictures, notes, apps etc..). Is there anything on android that does the same without root?

Thanks,
Mike

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey..

So, I am a noob to android having had every iPhone since its inception I saw the light :)

Anyways, I have an AT&T GS4 (MF3.. so no bootloader unlock). I just purchased a Google Play Edition.

How do I move everything over to the GPE? Is there a simple way, or do I just login with my google account and everything syncs to this new phone? I plan on swapping the SIM and SD card.

I know on the apple ecosystem you can simply restore and all items come back (SMS, email accounts, pictures, notes, apps etc..). Is there anything on android that does the same without root?

Thanks,
Mike

Once you transfer your Google account... your Contacts will download to your new phone. You will be able to redownload all your apps from the Google Play Store.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
If you had backup and restore selected on you previous device it should restore your apps as well. Congrats on your new device. It is probably the best android device on the planet right now!

argold

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Depending on how you use external SD cards you may be disappointed by that switch. Thus far the GPEs are still unable to use external cards with apps that need to write to them since the GPEs were "upgraded" to Android 4.3. I put in a ticket with Google but they have yet to reply on whether this is a permanent change of specification or just an ephemeral bug that will be fixed.

mjolsen74

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
First Full day with the GS4 and wow.. what a difference good and bad.
Good:
Seems much faster.. not sure why, but many actions seem faster
Clean look/feel

Bad:

Work email (Airwatch MDM) doesn't work with GPE edition phones with "Native ActiveSync"... Very disappointing as I have to use the "Container email app".. at least calendar flows into native calendar.
Phone Dialer frequent items are in menus during call ( mute, speakerphone, handsfree) touchWiz samsung dialer has those features at your fingertips
Toggles (two finger swipe down).. haven't found a way to add to that list. No Notification toggles (I love the brightness slider/auto toggle). I know you can customize this on GPE with other apps.. still looking at that.
Samsung Calendar seems better/easier to see/use
Native "Launcher".. beyond basic, after using TouchWiz for just 2 weeks and then Nova Launcher for another 2 weeks, I had to immediately install Nova Launcher on this device.

I originally wanted the GPE for the ability to root/rom it, but after realizing that in my corporate "world/life" that isn't going to happen.. :( I guess I will end up keeping the ATT S4 and send the GPE back... (unless I am missing something here..)

I guess since I have to have company email and have to live in their "enforced policies" world this GP edition isn't for me..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22