Encrypt SD Card

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
So my device is encrypted so I can connect to work networks. However to comply with policies I need to encrypt the SD card. I know I saw the option and was almost positive it was under security. However I can not find this option anyplace now.

So am I simply blind or has it disappeared?

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I checked out the thread and there is a lot of bad information in there. My device is encrypted already and there was no change in performance. It is possible to decrypt the device.

Maybe I am not seeing the encrypt SD option because my battery is low. Although I would expect to see the option but maybe not execute.

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Can someone point me to where they are seeing encrypt SD card? I am now unable to locate it and I am getting a report that SD card encryption is disabled.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I can't. I never found the option to encrypt just the SD card. That's why I never attempted it because it appeared I had to encrypt the tablet too.

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I have encrypted the device already but I am unable to locate the option to encrypt the SD card. Samsung insists it should be under security settings but it is not there. They are now suggesting I send the tablet in for service. Very, very hesitant to do so. However I do not like the option of either being able to connect to work computers or using an SD card.

Uschiekid

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I have encrypted the device already but I am unable to locate the option to encrypt the SD card. Samsung insists it should be under security settings but it is not there. They are now suggesting I send the tablet in for service. Very, very hesitant to do so. However I do not like the option of either being able to connect to work computers or using an SD card.

I think it is not available in every firmware. It is in mine, MJ4, but I'm pretty sure some of the newer firmwares had it removed...I remember reading a discussion about it. So they are probably advising you as if you have a different firmware.

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I think it is not available in every firmware. It is in mine, MJ4, but I'm pretty sure some of the newer firmwares had it removed...I remember reading a discussion about it. So they are probably advising you as if you have a different firmware.

I think you are correct. I was searching for info on this and came across a thread about the option being taken away on the Note in a newer firmware. I am running MK1.

This really kind of sucks. I now have to choose between using an SD card or being able to connect to work with the tablet. Being able to load an AD card up with movies would be nice for trips. Airwatch requires the SD card to be encrypted and thinks the device has been rooted if you do not encrypt. It also appears that third party encryption does not cut it.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I think you are correct. I was searching for info on this and came across a thread about the option being taken away on the Note in a newer firmware. I am running MK1.

This really kind of sucks. I now have to choose between using an SD card or being able to connect to work with the tablet. Being able to load an AD card up with movies would be nice for trips. Airwatch requires the SD card to be encrypted and thinks the device has been rooted if you do not encrypt. It also appears that third party encryption does not cut it.

What is Airwatch? Can you encrypt for work connectivity, then decrypt for travel with your movies? also, what about using a usb flash drive with an otg cable? just thinking outloud

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Airwatch is a Mobile Device Management product. No, unfortunately your suggestions will not get me around the limitations set by the product. The only option I am currently aware of that will work is to remove Airwatch when I want to use an SD card and re-install it when I need to connect to work. It is a bit of a PITA but better than nothing. Hopefully another option presents itself.

druter

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Speaking of Encrypting SD cards My company has recently forced us to start using Airwatch (hate it). And I dont know it its airwatch somehow doing this or my galaxy S5 but I have ruined two 128 GB sd cards by encrypting them. It Always happens after encrypting the card. The first was immediately after encrypting, the second was a few weeks later. The card just unmounts itself and then cant be seen. The first I was able to recover (although it doesnt work with any Android device) by formating it on a windows PC. The second (which happened weeks after) cannot been seen by anything (so I cant format it) has anyone else experienced this?

orangesarebetter

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
Speaking of Encrypting SD cards My company has recently forced us to start using Airwatch (hate it). And I dont know it its airwatch somehow doing this or my galaxy S5 but I have ruined two 128 GB sd cards by encrypting them. has anyone else experienced this?

This is happening to me now, did you ever find a solution?

Andy Bredemeyer

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I updated my LG G3 (T-Mobile) to Lollipop OTA just a couple of weeks after having to install AirWatch. I'd had no issues until Lollipop. Now if I try to mount the SD card, it seems AirWatch forces it to unmount because it thinks it's unencrypted. Yet in my settings the SD card encryption setting is greyed out because it says "controlled by security policy" or something. Any ideas here? Lollipop glitch, or busted SD card?

SaltyDog105

May 13, 2015
Visit site
What brand of microSD cards are you using? I have bought a few ones "good deals" :-$ and had the same problem on my old S3 running stock KitKat.
Haven't had any issues with my S5 and Lollipop, but now I have a PNY brand card.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12