So who's buying one?

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
What a seemingly great device for the price. I'm tempted to pick one up just for the hell of it.

Anyone already order [preorder] one?

Posted via the Android Central App

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I am wishing now that I had ordered when it was $50 cheaper, but I'm still strongly considering getting it. It sounds really great for $250!

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking of it. It's so cheap I'm just kinda curious. Lots of good reviews so far too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I pre-ordered and have it now. I got it for my dad. It'll be his first smart phone and the big screen should be a big help for his eyes. I haven't gotten to play with it too much but so far it feels like a very solid phone, especially for the price! I got a Moto G for my mom last year which I think was a good fit for her and I hope this bigger phone should be good for my dad.

I'm personally using an old Nexus 5, which is showing it's age, and this phone seems to be able to handle all the main apps like gmail, youtube, maps, etc smoothly. What I REALLY love are the front facing speakers. I WISH my Nexus 5 have that and I was eyeing the LG G4 but am disappointed that it doesn't have front facing speakers...
I also like that the front facing camera is a wide angle, so it'll be great for video chats. Hopefully it'll mean when I do video chat with my parents I'll see a whole face instead of a forehead. :D

The whole using it upside down thing feels kinda gimmicky, but it's SO FUN to play with.

seanpr

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I have 2 that will be here tomorrow. One for me and one for the wife. I've been using a first gen Moto G, she's been using a Note 2.

technician199

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
My wife's Moto X just crapped out this weekend and with everybody throwing so much love at this device we ordered one for her to try. I probably won't get much time with it after I set it up for her but I'll let you know anything I can.

Last edited:

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Ordered and received. I like the quality. It's unnervingly light which worries me if the quality of the internals is not that great or something but everything from screen, speaker, SoC, software, camera are good or great IMO. Might get two more for the family if it ever goes on sale again.

Sergiusz Jasper

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like a good phone but would it be better to just pay extra 50$ and pick up the Asus zenfone 2, 4g, 64gb model just think u get quite more for extra 50 bucks.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Andy Adler

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Beginning Day 3 with mine (on T-Mobile). Hugely impressed so far.

After the recent update lag is minimal, DTTW works well, display is excellent and the speakers are a joy. Reception in the New Orleans area is fine, though no Band 12 deployment here yet, I believe. I put this side by side with an S6 yesterday, and I genuinely preferred the Idol. Now, I don't game, and my serious photography is made via Fujifilm and Nikon, so the Idol's camera is sufficient for me -- and considerably better than my HTC M7's.

The fundamental issue in my case is whether I stay with Verizon, where I have a grandfathered UDP, or switch to TMO. If Verizon gets the nod, I may pick up a Nexus 6. But the Idol 3 is a helluva phone. Best $200 I've spent in quite awhile.

Sent from my 6045I using Tapatalk

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like a good phone but would it be better to just pay extra 50$ and pick up the Asus zenfone 2, 4g, 64gb model just think u get quite more for extra 50 bucks.

Well that's sort of true, but the screen is better on the i3, and the speakers too. So it just depends on what is more important and how you'll use it.

Sergiusz Jasper

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Yes agree speaker for sure it works but definitely could be better as for screen I find it quite fine could be brighter.
I just love the 4g ram it has absolutely no lag period lol
True tho it's what's more important to the user.

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site

I think it depends on people's opinion and preferences. IMO OneTouch Idol 3 beats the Zenfone 2 16GB and 64GB. Only pluses I see with the 64GB Zenfone is the 4x the storage (16GB vs 64GB) and the 2x of the RAM (2GB vs 4GB). Otherwise the speakers on the Alcatel beats the Zenfone 2 (Alcatel comes with decent earphones too). The screen are both 1080P but the Alcatel screen looks better for brightness/color accuracy. Both phones have 13MP camera but the Alcatel has Image stabilization while the Zenfone 2 does not, and the Alcatel has a 8MP front camera vs the 5MP of the Zenfone 2. Battery life seems to be a little bit longer on the OTI3 vs the ZF2. The thinner/lighter build is a plus with the OneTouch Idol 3 also. Both are heavily plastic based but the Zenfone 2 build seems a little worse in quality IMO and since the back cover is removable I have heard that the back cover on the ZF2 get's loose after several removals. I can't really say anything about the Qualcomm 615 (8-Core aka 4-Core + 4-Core) vs the Intel Atom ZXXXX CPU nor compare their GPUs. I really would have loved 4GB of RAM on the Idol 3 since the CPU is 64-Bit but that would have raised the cost of the phone.

Sergiusz Jasper

May 18, 2014
Visit site
I think it depends on people's opinion and preferences. IMO OneTouch Idol 3 beats the Zenfone 2 16GB and 64GB. Only pluses I see with the 64GB Zenfone is the 4x the storage (16GB vs 64GB) and the 2x of the RAM (2GB vs 4GB). Otherwise the speakers on the Alcatel beats the Zenfone 2 (Alcatel comes with decent earphones too). The screen are both 1080P but the Alcatel screen looks better for brightness/color accuracy. Both phones have 13MP camera but the Alcatel has Image stabilization while the Zenfone 2 does not, and the Alcatel has a 8MP front camera vs the 5MP of the Zenfone 2. Battery life seems to be a little bit longer on the OTI3 vs the ZF2. The thinner/lighter build is a plus with the OneTouch Idol 3 also. Both are heavily plastic based but the Zenfone 2 build seems a little worse in quality IMO and since the back cover is removable I have heard that the back cover on the ZF2 get's loose after several removals. I can't really say anything about the Qualcomm 615 (8-Core aka 4-Core + 4-Core) vs the Intel Atom ZXXXX CPU nor compare their GPUs. I really would have loved 4GB of RAM on the Idol 3 since the CPU is 64-Bit but that would have raised the cost of the phone.
Well I can say that the 615 runs hot as I have same processor in my Sony M4 and it does not like games to much or heavy multitasking, gets extremely hot at times.
Some points u have mention are good but as for build quality ur wrong and also who removes the back to the point of not working.
I would have to say it holds up better than the note 4 I had and runs way smoother. As for battery I easy get 5 to 6 hrs on screen with 20% battery life left... Personally think the idol 3 is a down grade in a comparison to the zenfone 2, 4g ram but like u said preference is the key and both are good in there own way.

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Well I can say that the 615 runs hot as I have same processor in my Sony M4 and it does not like games to much or heavy multitasking, gets extremely hot at times.
Some points u have mention are good but as for build quality ur wrong and also who removes the back to the point of not working.
I would have to say it holds up better than the note 4 I had and runs way smoother. As for battery I easy get 5 to 6 hrs on screen with 20% battery life left... Personally think the idol 3 is a down grade in a comparison to the zenfone 2, 4g ram but like u said preference is the key and both are good in there own way.

Yeah like I said all preference. The reviews I've seen just tended to point toward the Idol 3 for hardware quality (not by a whole lot). I'm not saying I'm right but I don't think anyone can say anyone's opinion and experience (though not direct) is wrong. So I stand by what I have experienced with display models, read and seen about the build quality of the Zenfone. It's good but has it's own small problems. Battery is not a whole lot different, just about 1-2 hours more of Screen Time in comparison reviews. Performance is a non factor when you're like me coming from a Dual-Core Krait. I think the major reason why I am siding with the Idol 3 more is because I got mine at $199 and don't think the 4GB RAM and 64GB is worth another $100. But compared to a full priced Idol 3 at $250 I would say the 64GB Zenfone 2 might be the better choice unless you think of better screen and speakers as a important factor.

.:edit:.

That said I bought a Zenfone 2 today since i did not want the same phone as my brother (Idol 3). My opinion on the phone has taken a more positive direction (minus speaker and dim screen) but I'll know for sure after I play with it more. Since I used a 16GB S3 since release i think this 4GB RAM and 64GB storage should be plenty to use for a good 2+ years as long as apps don't stop supporting whatever OS the Zenfone 2 stops at.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781