Profile Manager

kraski

Jan 3, 2009
Visit site
I just got my Idol 3. So far I love it. But I have to manually shut off notification and ringer sounds. So, I figured I'd use a profile manager. They all seem to handle automated stuff (changes based on time or location, etc.). None seem to mention manual profile changes or overrides, although I'm sure most handle that. Several have free versions, hoping for purchase of paid versions, but stating that they may not work on some hardware (thus, the free test version). And there are a lot of choices. Assuming I'm not the only one looking for a good profile manager:

1) Which ones work on the Idol 3?
2) Which have manual overrides? And I'm guessing there are more than one, so:
3) Which are your favorites and why?

Thanks.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
If you're willing to learn a few basic scripting and programming concepts, you may want to consider using Tasker instead of a single-purpose profile manager. You can program some fairly complex rules based on location, time, calendar entries, whether you're connected to WiFi (or even specific WiFi networks), and lots more. It's a fairly expensive app, but capable of doing so much more than managing profiles. It's the sole reason I use an Android handset instead of an iPhone.

kraski

Jan 3, 2009
Visit site
If you're willing to learn a few basic scripting and programming concepts, you may want to consider using Tasker instead of a single-purpose profile manager. You can program some fairly complex rules based on location, time, calendar entries, whether you're connected to WiFi (or even specific WiFi networks), and lots more. It's a fairly expensive app, but capable of doing so much more than managing profiles. It's the sole reason I use an Android handset instead of an iPhone.

Just looked in Google Play and I already purchased Tasker. Probably back on my Note 2. I don't recall ever getting to the point of really using it. Maybe that was because I didn't have the time to study something else. Or maybe it was more complex than I needed for a simple task. Or, possibly, I just didn't see the value in reinventing the wheel. Unless there are prewritten scripts that I can modify, I still don't have the time. Is that possible?

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Just looked in Google Play and I already purchased Tasker. Probably back on my Note 2. I don't recall ever getting to the point of really using it. Maybe that was because I didn't have the time to study something else. Or maybe it was more complex than I needed for a simple task. Or, possibly, I just didn't see the value in reinventing the wheel. Unless there are prewritten scripts that I can modify, I still don't have the time. Is that possible?
Yes, there are plenty of pre-written scripts available and I'm willing to share some of mine if you'd like.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab S using Tapatalk

kraski

Jan 3, 2009
Visit site
Yes, there are plenty of pre-written scripts available and I'm willing to share some of mine if you'd like.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab S using Tapatalk

I appreciate that. And I may revisit that idea in the future. In the meantime, I found a profile manager I like and am trying that for now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781