Problem with Idol 3

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I have an Idol 3 that has screen flickering issues (blue screen). Also the phone will not boot up, or so it seems. Charging the phone after draining the battery I can see the screen work. Screen shows battery picture charging. Holding the power button shows the Alcatel boot screen. Problem is after that the phones screen stays black.

I'm draining it again and going to try to do a factory hard reset without booting but I have a feeling it won't work.

Anyone have a similar issue. I'm thinking a warranty claim is needed but I don't like what I'm reading about Alcatel warranty.

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear it. I've had something similar happen with my tablet (Lenovo yoga). A factory reset fixed it however. If a factory reset doesn't fix it for you get a new one.

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear it. I've had something similar happen with my tablet (Lenovo yoga). A factory reset fixed it however. If a factory reset doesn't fix it for you get a new one.

Thanks. I've seen more suggestions on factory resets on XDA. That said no Factory reset and reset of cache did not help. Sometimes the Alcatel boot screen is white with stripe patterns, sometimes checkerboard patterns, and sometimes normal. Sometimes it gets as far as the idol 3 logo, or rarely the boot animation with sound. Most of the time it turns off right after the Alcatel screen.

When going with a hardware factory reset sometimes the phone shuts off while navigating the reset screen. It's not my phone but someone else's. They bought a new one, and I'm going to try to get them to get it fixed through warranty.

Playing with the idol 3 again I don't think I can recommend it anymore. The light weight was good but that's due to the weak structure of the thin plastic body and maybe shoddy internals. Lack of additional glass on the LCD or no air space is good for no glare but pressure on screen can make ripples on the LCD screen.

Only ZenFone 2 variants or OnePlus X for </=$299 phones now.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like they just got a defective phone. It happens with all phones. I've had the idol 3 for a few months and haven't had any problems. I would get it replaced and see if the replacement phone has issues.

PNW123

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I agree - sounds like a defective phone. I had a series of similar sorts of issues with my Nexus 5, which were temporarily corrected with factory resets. In hindsight, I should have insisted that Google replace it, but they didn't want to, since factory resets kept fixing the issues...Until it was shortly past warranty and finally died. :(

Point being, these sorts of flaws can happen with any brand. I've only had my Idol 3 (4.7") for a couple of weeks, but am very happy with it so far.

Posted via the Android Central App

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your replies. As I said the person ordered a new one, and he'll decide to return the older one for a replacement or not (whether he has all the box/accessories).

It wasn't faulty from the start, worked perfectly fine. Since it's not mine I don't know what caused it or what the phone went through. My brothers Idol 3 is fine since we baby our phones and gadgets.

I rarely have any issues with my electronics minus DoAs. So one negative experience is a huge hit to me. Stereo speakers, good screen, good battery life, decent camera are all good but the light, flexible exterior is a turn off.

That said my stance stays the same. Most likely not recommending the phone except to known careful users. The word of stingy customer support and warranty of Alcatel is the bigger turn off.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie