skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Anyone pre-order the Idol 4s? Sick deal for $349. Alcatel got my $$ before ZTE and OP3 did.

Mind if I ask why? The Axon is a beast at $399 and offers a similar sound experience. Not disputing your decision, just wondering why is all. I too am contemplating the 4s as well as the Axon but am having a difficult time even with the pre order price of $349. For me the Axon would be a true upgrade over my current X pure. The 4s seems more of a lateral move. But having rocked the idol 3 for almost a year, I'm kind of a fan of Alcatel despite the fact that it took a year to release marshmallow.

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Mind if I ask why? The Axon is a beast at $399 and offers a similar sound experience. Not disputing your decision, just wondering why is all. I too am contemplating the 4s as well as the Axon but am having a difficult time even with the pre order price of $349. For me the Axon would be a true upgrade over my current X pure. The 4s seems more of a lateral move. But having rocked the idol 3 for almost a year, I'm kind of a fan of Alcatel despite the fact that it took a year to release marshmallow.

Fair questions. I've been following the Axon 7 too. Probably would've pre-ordered but the gray model is delayed until 8/17 so I figured I could test out the 4S in the meantime. The reviews I've seen of the Axon 7 are underwhelming as least with the Chinese models. Performance is less than desirable and camera performance average at best. That's not to say the US model won't address these issues.

The Idol is a step up from the X Pure. The Idol has a chipset closer to the SD 810, whereas the X Pure is 808, right? Build quality, camera and sound should all be better on the Idol while software preferences will be subjective. If you follow Flossy Carter on youtube, check out his unboxing and initial impressions of the Idol. He's ecstatic about it and literally said "One Plus Who"?

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Fair questions. I've been following the Axon 7 too. Probably would've pre-ordered but the gray model is delayed until 8/17 so I figured I could test out the 4S in the meantime. The reviews I've seen of the Axon 7 are underwhelming as least with the Chinese models. Performance is less than desirable and camera performance average at best. That's not to say the US model won't address these issues.

The Idol is a step up from the X Pure. The Idol has a chipset closer to the SD 810, whereas the X Pure is 808, right? Build quality, camera and sound should all be better on the Idol while software preferences will be subjective. If you follow Flossy Carter on youtube, check out his unboxing and initial impressions of the Idol. He's ecstatic about it and literally said "One Plus Who"?

To be determined I guess. The bamboo back and metal sides on my pure is pretty darn sturdy. The 808 is very close to the 810 so processor should be a wash. The pure speakers are pretty good too. How they compare to the 4s remains to be seen (although the speaker reviews on the 4s appear to be really good). I'll check out the Flossy Carter review. Also waiting on the Axon reviews before deciding. Either way the 4s appears to be a damn good phone. Had pre order price been a bit lower, I would have ordered by now.

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
To be determined I guess. The bamboo back and metal sides on my pure is pretty darn sturdy. The 808 is very close to the 810 so processor should be a wash. The pure speakers are pretty good too. How they compare to the 4s remains to be seen (although the speaker reviews on the 4s appear to be really good). I'll check out the Flossy Carter review. Also waiting on the Axon reviews before deciding. Either way the 4s appears to be a damn good phone. Had pre order price been a bit lower, I would have ordered by now.

$349 with all those goodies and build an S7 Edge like build? That's a total win right there. Let me know your thoughts after checking out Flossy.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I'll probably pass on the 4s. No USB type C and don't like the glass back. Would also rather have a bit thicker phone with bigger battery and no camera hump.

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
$349 with all those goodies and build an S7 Edge like build? That's a total win right there. Let me know your thoughts after checking out Flossy.
Great review.. Still not sure if I'm sold at $349 though. Definitely tempting. If the other reviews are similar to Flossy's I may jump on the pre order.

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Great review.. Still not sure if I'm sold at $349 though. Definitely tempting. If the other reviews are similar to Flossy's I may jump on the pre order.

There other reviews now. All similar to floss's. These are being called the best speakers ever to grace a phone. No one is reporting lag.

Posted via the Android Central App

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious to see how this thing is with cpu heat. The biggest issue with the moto X pure (at least on mine) is gaming is pretty much limited to 15 minutes before it gets blazing hot. I was literally having my best run ever on Alto's adventure earlier and had to stop, not because I lost... Because my phone was at 113 degrees after 10 minutes. The 808 in general seems to cook but this thing is just insane. (Had a similar issue with the idol 3's 615, not quite as bad though). If the idol 4s stays cool for extended periods of time while gaming, I'm on it.

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm curious to see how this thing is with cpu heat. The biggest issue with the moto X pure (at least on mine) is gaming is pretty much limited to 15 minutes before it gets blazing hot. I was literally having my best run ever on Alto's adventure earlier and had to stop, not because I lost... Because my phone was at 113 degrees after 10 minutes. The 808 in general seems to cook but this thing is just insane. (Had a similar issue with the idol 3's 615, not quite as bad though). If the idol 4s stays cool for extended periods of time while gaming, I'm on it.

I havent seen reports of the 652 overheating but yeah remains to be seen.

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Reviews are starting to come out. Nothing mind-blowing unfortunately. The theme has been similar...Shouldn't be priced at $399 (or even $349) with the OP3 and Axon at a similar price range. Supposedly the camera isn't too hot either. Digital Trends is saying that it heats up quick when gaming UGH.

bramgoodwin

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
I have used the idol 3, recently updated to marshmallow, for the last year. Bought it for $249.

Have found it excellent in all respects. Fast, great audio, good screen, big battery, good display and physical phone in good shape year later.

I am not interested in VR. What do I get for additional $150?

Slightly better screen, slightly faster, N a year from now, side button I don't need?

I probably will keep phone another year, if it continues working well.

Curious how others feel?

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I have used the idol 3, recently updated to marshmallow, for the last year. Bought it for $249.

Have found it excellent in all respects. Fast, great audio, good screen, big battery, good display and physical phone in good shape year later.

I am not interested in VR. What do I get for additional $150?

Slightly better screen, slightly faster, N a year from now, side button I don't need?

I probably will keep phone another year, if it continues working well.

Curious how others feel?

although I enjoyed the 3, if I were still rocking it this would be a no brainer for me. The 652 is benchmarking really well (better than the 808 and light years better than the 615), more RAM, better speakers (most likely), a fingerprint scanner, glass / metal build and (most likely) a better camera (including video) than the 3 as well.

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
After debating between the 4s and the Axon 7, I went against my instinct and pre-ordered the 4s. I feel like the camera and yes the speakers are better on the 4s but I could be 100% wrong on that. I also like the look of the 4s better. If I hate it, I'll probably go Axon.

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
After debating between the 4s and the Axon 7, I went against my instinct and pre-ordered the 4s. I feel like the camera and yes the speakers are better on the 4s but I could be 100% wrong on that. I also like the look of the 4s better. If I hate it, I'll probably go Axon.

Software on the axon looks like trash to me. Early reviews confirm the Idol has better speakers.