Warning - Kit / Kondor Slim Bluetooth Keyboard KBSLBKNK - major design flaw

Michael Pacey

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Just a heads up that there is a problem with the Kit bluetooth keyboard distributed by Kondor. The shift key does not operate correctly. The only way to achieve capital letters is by enabling caps lock then disabling it. there is NO way to produce symbols which require the shift key, using the keyboard.

I emailed Kondor about this and they have replied saying they are aware of the problem. They have said they are hoping to have a fix in the next week or so and that they are waiting for parts. I'm not sure how parts will help those who've bought the keyoard, are we meant to open it up and replace internal components? I had been hoping it might be something that can be reprogrammed via USB. So mine will be returned to Tesco - involving a two hour round trip.

So just a warning, as these devices are all over the country in Tesco and probably other stores too. Apart from this problem, the keyboard is reasonable quality, but some of the key mappings are a bit peculiar - I would have been able to live with the odd quirk, though. Not lack of a shift function!

Peter_nexus7

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I bought such a keyboard from W.H. Smith in Exeter in August 2014 and also experienced the same problems with shift key not working, etc.
I contacted the manufacturer over their online form and asked for support. One of their engineers called me back and explained the problem was a firmware issue and has now been resolved. It is not possible to upgrade the firmware yourself as special hardware is needed. The only way is to send in the keyboard for it to be upgraded by Kondor. I have just received the keyboard from them with the latest firmware and can confirm the shift-key issue, as well as some other issues, have now been resolved. They made no charge for this. Their customer service was excellent and I am now pleased with the keyboard that I use with my Google Nexus 7.

The unit was initially designed for the iPad and that is why the older firmware does not work properly with Android units. If you only intend to use the keyboard with Apple devices, it may not be necessary to upgrade. Android users need the upgrade if the shift key does not work.

Here is my report after my tests of the upgraded keyboard.

The top row has a number of icons for various functions. Their use is not described in the manual so this is what happened when I tested them on my Nexus 7 running KitKat.

[ ] = Home button
<keyboard> = No function
<magnifying glass> = Search
<person> = No function
<globe> = Search
<computer> = Screen on/off
<page> = Calculator
<pages> = Contacts
<page+> = No function
<page turn> = No function
<< = Previous audio recording
>|| = Play/Pause
>> = Next audio recording
<Speaker> = No function
<Speaker) > = Reduce volume
<Speaker))) > = Increase volume
<Lock> = Screen On/Off

On the second line, the symbols above the numbers can now all be used as expected with the shift key. Note that the unit has a US keyboard, so European symbols like £, €, etc. are not possible.

I am still testing the <home> and <end> keys which sometimes do something and otherwise nothing. By holding the <home> or <end> key and pressing an additional character, some apps can be started. On my Nexus 7, these were:

<end>+E Starts Email/Gmail
<end>+T Starts Hangouts
<end>+Y Starts Youtube
<end>+P Starts Google Play
<end>+A Starts Calculator
<end>+G Starts Gmail
<end>+L Starts Calendar
<end>+C Starts Contacts
<end>+B Starts Chrome Browser

<home> key has the same presets as <end>

The <control> key could also be used for a few functions:
<control>+W Choose Wallpaper
<control>+P Settings
<control>+H Google Chrome Android 4.0 help page
<control>+M Settings / Apps

<alt option> No function found
<command> No function found

I hope this helps someone with the same keyboard. If anyone finds out anything else about the keyboard, please post it here.

sye1

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
I bought such a keyboard from W.H. Smith in Exeter in August 2014 and also experienced the same problems with shift key not working, etc.
I contacted the manufacturer over their online form and asked for support. One of their engineers called me back and explained the problem was a firmware issue and has now been resolved. It is not possible to upgrade the firmware yourself as special hardware is needed. The only way is to send in the keyboard for it to be upgraded by Kondor. I have just received the keyboard from them with the latest firmware and can confirm the shift-key issue, as well as some other issues, have now been resolved. They made no charge for this. Their customer service was excellent and I am now pleased with the keyboard that I use with my Google Nexus 7.

The unit was initially designed for the iPad and that is why the older firmware does not work properly with Android units. If you only intend to use the keyboard with Apple devices, it may not be necessary to upgrade. Android users need the upgrade if the shift key does not work.

Here is my report after my tests of the upgraded keyboard.

The top row has a number of icons for various functions. Their use is not described in the manual so this is what happened when I tested them on my Nexus 7 running KitKat.

[ ] = Home button
<keyboard> = No function
<magnifying glass> = Search
<person> = No function
<globe> = Search
<computer> = Screen on/off
<page> = Calculator
<pages> = Contacts
<page+> = No function
<page turn> = No function
<< = Previous audio recording
>|| = Play/Pause
>> = Next audio recording
<Speaker> = No function
<Speaker) > = Reduce volume
<Speaker))) > = Increase volume
<Lock> = Screen On/Off

On the second line, the symbols above the numbers can now all be used as expected with the shift key. Note that the unit has a US keyboard, so European symbols like £, €, etc. are not possible.

I am still testing the <home> and <end> keys which sometimes do something and otherwise nothing. By holding the <home> or <end> key and pressing an additional character, some apps can be started. On my Nexus 7, these were:

<end>+E Starts Email/Gmail
<end>+T Starts Hangouts
<end>+Y Starts Youtube
<end>+P Starts Google Play
<end>+A Starts Calculator
<end>+G Starts Gmail
<end>+L Starts Calendar
<end>+C Starts Contacts
<end>+B Starts Chrome Browser

<home> key has the same presets as <end>

The <control> key could also be used for a few functions:
<control>+W Choose Wallpaper
<control>+P Settings
<control>+H Google Chrome Android 4.0 help page
<control>+M Settings / Apps

<alt option> No function found
<command> No function found

I hope this helps someone with the same keyboard. If anyone finds out anything else about the keyboard, please post it here.

Hi i see there is a problem with the function key on these kit keyboards what you need to is go into your language keyboard and set it to united kingdom this sorted it for me :)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon