This phone should have been cheap & off-contract.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I agree with this thread.

When I can buy a Nexus 5 for $350 and use it on almost any carrier I want, there is absolutely no reason to buy this phone, especially not for $650.

Sure, the Fire phone has quite a bit of exclusive features and all, but how many people really want those, or more importantly, how many people will use them?

It was a poor move for Amazon, IMO. I just don't think this phone can ever compete with phones such as the GS5, One M8 or 5s. And this is what it really comes down to -- price. When you have other, better phones for the same price -- or less, depending on where you buy -- the Fire phone just can't compete. The carrier exclusivity only makes it worse.

I see a lot of people comparing the exclusivity to the iPhone when it was released. The problem with that is, this is 2014 and times have changed, like others here have said already. People want a good phone that is reasonably priced with no contract. Amazon missed the target with the Fire phone.

I agree.

And, for those who have already forgotten and those who are too young to have ever known, when the first iPhone was released there was nothing (nothing!) even remotely similar on the market. It worked then because there was effectively zero competition. It continues to work now because Apple knows how to maintain an unjustified level of fanaticism amongst its customer base.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree.

And, for those who have already forgotten and those who are too young to have ever known, when the first iPhone was released there was nothing (nothing!) even remotely similar on the market. It worked then because there was effectively zero competition. It continues to work now because Apple knows how to maintain an unjustified level of fanaticism amongst its customer base.

Sure here was nothing like it, but the phone was garbage, and the bugs of the early days were many. I waited for a reliable Android 2.2 phone which got a late-life bugfixed 2.3.5 ....lasted about four years as my go-to phone while I played around with others. Such high quality that either of the two batteries it came with will still take me thru a whole day, but I have switched over to my Flex as primary.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Anybody here have a 1st generation Kindle and remember how much it cost? $399
Got to give companies a chance to grab back some of that R & D that is spent.

I know you guys think that this phone should be like the Nexus 5, Moto X, and other products, but these devices sales are eclipsed by the more expensive devices.

It is those overpriced iPhones, Galaxies, and Notes of the world that get the majority of market demand and profits.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think I can only echo the idea of exclusivity being a mistake. Especially, when Amazon could offer better deals off their website. Up the price a little to unsubsidized, but if you buy on Amazon, you get $100 off and can take it to any carrier.

LStock

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
I totally agree! I'm so disappointed in Amazon for the exclusive contract!!! AT&T just does not have the coverage Verizon does, especially not here. I'm not going to change to an inferior carrier just to try this phone and I am a loyal Amazon consumer! Love my Kindles. They could have open carriers, sell twice as many and lower the cost. Perhaps the next generation of it will open up and the bugs will be worked out. I can not get an AT&T signal here or couldn't when we moved here. I just looked and there are no AT&T towers within 120 miles of here (Montana). Just a few on the I-90 corridor.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Well some first gens are carrier exclusives and some are not. I am curious whether there would be an Amazon perk again like ATTwifi access pass. After all the Kindle 3g was a great draw when launched because it could buy and download books anywhere, so why not a carrier exclusive phone with the promise of more free wifi access points? Sure, good luck finding an ATTwifi in a public place but it would *sound* good when buying.

This doesn't sound like Amazon, it sounds like The Home Shopping Network. Does it have a cool mandatory feature too that shares on social media every time you buy? Get that peer pressure doubled on showoff buying?

orphan key

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
I have an A T&T account. I'm off contract. I order the Fire phone from Amazon with the no contract option ($750) after I call A T&T and am assured that if I own the phone, I can submit a request to unlock. A T&T reminds me that Amazon must supply the unlock code. I call Amazon and there is confusion. At first all no contract phones are unlocked. A second follow up call reveals that the Fire phone cannot be unlocked. I complain that the phone comes with no contract and I own the phone. I suggest that the phone is essentially under contract under this scenario. They fail to see my point. I cancel the order. What idiots. What's the point? A T&T doesn't care if it is locked.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
NOPE. Honest truth, NOPE.

So, how has Amazon's sales experience with mobile phones turned into a negative factor?

They deal with most (if not all) US carriers. Amazon would know the effect of having an exclusive agreement with a single carrier.

They sell phones on-contract and on prepaid. Amazon would know what their customers prefer.

Amazon has an extensive database of user reviews. They know which features are the ones people want.

Honestly, it seems like Amazon is in a good position to figure out what's good for their business. If people buy the Fire Phone, Amazon wins. If people don't, Amazon probably already sells a phone that would be more suitable for their needs. Either way, Amazon wins.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
So, how has Amazon's sales experience with mobile phones turned into a negative factor?

They deal with most (if not all) US carriers. Amazon would know the effect of having an exclusive agreement with a single carrier.

They sell phones on-contract and on prepaid. Amazon would know what their customers prefer.

Amazon has an extensive database of user reviews. They know which features are the ones people want.

Honestly, it seems like Amazon is in a good position to figure out what's good for their business. If people buy the Fire Phone, Amazon wins. If people don't, Amazon probably already sells a phone that would be more suitable for their needs. Either way, Amazon wins.

.....everything I have seen about this phone, it's not going to fly very far. Waiting on hard numbers for the battery, but overall it seems like a crippled device that is only intended to sell more goods and services. Like the last gasp known as the "AOL PC" - because we all wanted StarOffice and EVEN MORE AOL 24/7 on screen, right?

It would be nice if this sells well and gets a good reputation, but I just do not see how.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Waiting on hard numbers for the battery, but overall it seems like a crippled device that is only intended to sell more goods and services.

I think that's exactly what the Fire phone is designed for: selling more goods and services. It serves Amazon's business, so that's why Amazon is making this specific phone. People aren't obligated to buy it if they don't like it.

kremo

May 28, 2014
Visit site
As prime member having amazon services for a flat price is quite good offer, so selling more amazon seervice with new hardware sale is tottally understandable trial from amazon. I just don`t get why the prices are so high for these new hardwares when they really making the money on service. Or they could introduce a flat price for some hardware rental service to support their service offers. For example getting a fire tv improved the way I can use prime instant video, so the same way could a fire phone improve the way I use amazon music.

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
looks like they heard you because you can now get it unlocked from amazon for 199.00 off contract and its not att model its areal unlocked non branded

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781