Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NYRbeezer
  • 1 Post By kansas666
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Explain who the customer is for this phone?

This seems like a nice phone. Amazon is a relatively good manufacturer and supports their stuff well.
    I've owned a 3D phone before, the EVO 3D. It was a good phone too.

I'm just not seeing who is going to buy this Amazon phone at this price. The problems are thus:
    Why would I pay full price to get locked into the Amazon Appstore? No Gmail app, No calender app, must re-buy apps bought off of play store. Sure I already own a few apps on the Amazon Appstore, but I have CHOICE now. What is the reason I should give that up?
    Why would I switch to ATT and pay them full price for this phone? Even if I'm on ATT, why pick this phone over an HTC or Moto, or Samsung, or LG? 3D stuff? An app that lets me buy stuff on Amazon.com? I already have that, the Amazon app.
    Nobody will make 3d apps without a huge userbase. We've seen this play out before.
    My HTC One M7 came with 32 gigs for $199. last year. Shouldn't I expect better this year?
    Is this a phone for rabid Amazon fans? Are all the people in the Gold Box forum going to get excited to buy this? Why the hell does it only come with ONE year of Prime if it's bought with a TWO year contract?

Please, enlighten me.

Default re: Explain who the customer is for this phone?

Probably someone like my mother. She has Prime, doesn't plan on getting rid of it soon. Switches between their video service and Netflix, because they both have things the other doesn't. Has a Kindle. Never had All Access or Spotify, but now uses Prime music. Unless it's groceries she buys 90% of everything else on Amazon, because it's cheaper. Everytime she looks at movies, TV shows, or electronics, she has to scan the barcode, and see what the price is on Amazon. Firefly would make that even easier for her, and would probably be the only feature on any phone she'd find useful (she can't even use TouchID on her iPhone, because the ridges on her fingers are so worn down it has never once recognized them correctly). But yeah, she has an iPhone since she has an iMac and Macbook, but if she wasn't already more invested into Apple's ecosystem this would probably be a phone for her.
    Mentor @ FRC# 3999
    Banned

People love to shop, mostly woman! Its their life!!

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

When we get tired of answering support questions, just tell them to buy the Amazon phone. Mayday is probably the biggest selling point. I don't know how they manage to have all of that support around. The phone is designed for people like that - who would LOVE 24 hr tech support AND love to buy stuff.

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

The answer to this is easy. Go to the QVC electronics forums and read the mind boggling posts on those forums. Those are the people who will buy this phone. The people who think that their computers crashed and are useless and they must buy a new one.
    SpasticPat likes this.

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NYRbeezer View Post
    The answer to this is easy. Go to the QVC electronics forums and read the mind boggling posts on those forums. Those are the people who will buy this phone. The people who think that their computers crashed and are useless and they must buy a new one.
    This is probably true. It's sad to say, but I think the market for this phone is the much less tech savvy people out there. Not something I expected from Amazon.

This phone looks like a true pioneer

Don't forget that you can sideload many apps from google etc on the Fire. You just need to check one of the boxes in settings. The other thing is this phone isn't as feature/function loaded etc so would be good for someone who may want a smart phone with not a lot of features/functions. Comparing this phone to an iphone or android phone is as unrealistic as those who insist on comparing the ipad and android tablets to kindles and fire tablets. They just are not the same and they have different users. Yes I think it is abit overpriced, if you use Amazon alot this would be a perfect phone since it is orientated to using everything that amazon offers. Like the Fire tablets it will have it's fan base and be a great phone. The next version will probably be closer to other phones feature wise.

Market I see for this phone is anybody who is so heavily invested in the Amazon ecosystem and brand that they do not want anything else.

I best it will sell more than expected because of that but at the same time it also looks like it will be Amazon's first product failure.

Not all women. I do shop amazon because I don't really like shopping. LOL Does that mean I'll buy the Amazon phone? No, I just got a note 3 and lovin' it. Like the guy said, I've got the apps on my samnsung phone, I don't need a phone to shop. And having to buy all my apps from Amazon, no way. I'm a better shopper than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy13 View Post
    People love to shop, mostly woman! Its their life!!

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

No, I don't think so. I love Amazon, order from there all the time. I'm not particularly tech savvy either. I think it will fall on it's face just like the facebook one did. People want more than a one trick phone. The 3D is lovely but I'm not buying a phone just so I can gaze at balloons floating in the sky for hours on end and then shop from Amazon. I can facebook just fine on my phone without a phone from facebook. Thought that was silly. Same feelings about one from Amazon. If they want to make a phone, fine but if they want to succeed, they need to make a "regular" phone. Even phablets (love mine) are a niche product but they do everything a 4 1/2 inch display can do, run the same apps etc. I think it's gonna bite the dust. At least when they came out with the kindle fire, it was inexpensive. That can't be said of the fire phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Farish View Post
    Market I see for this phone is anybody who is so heavily invested in the Amazon ecosystem and brand that they do not want anything else.

I best it will sell more than expected because of that but at the same time it also looks like it will be Amazon's first product failure.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnpudas View Post
    No, I don't think so. I love Amazon, order from there all the time. I'm not particularly tech savvy either. I think it will fall on it's face just like the facebook one did. People want more than a one trick phone. The 3D is lovely but I'm not buying a phone just so I can gaze at balloons floating in the sky for hours on end and then shop from Amazon. I can facebook just fine on my phone without a phone from facebook. Thought that was silly. Same feelings about one from Amazon. If they want to make a phone, fine but if they want to succeed, they need to make a "regular" phone. Even phablets (love mine) are a niche product but they do everything a 4 1/2 inch display can do, run the same apps etc. I think it's gonna bite the dust. At least when they came out with the kindle fire, it was inexpensive. That can't be said of the fire phone.
    Love Amazon is not the same as heavily invested. This would people who their whole book, music, digital movie collection is from Amazon and they want seamless integration with a phone.

Not to put this in a women as a target market category but I already know a couple housewives who are getting this phone asap to go along with their Kindle Fires and recently purchase Fire TV.

Default Re: Explain who the customer is for this phone?

Not gonna lie the Fire phone has my interest. Just because it is so different.

ಠ益ಠ
    ಠ益ಠ

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

I am the customer for this phone. I live in the Amazon ecosystem. I have Fire TV, all 3 versions of the Kindle Fire and a plethora of Kindles. I also have Amazon Prime and Cloud Storage. I want a system that integrates my devices/TV/PC. I looked forward to the Amazon press conference with great anticipation. Unfortunately, I left disappointed. The phone has some great features and percs; Firefly, 3D, tilt scroll, Mayday, a free year of Prime. Some innovative engineering has gone into this phone and I believe some of it will be trend setting. But this phone has some gaping holes. I could live without Google on a tablet, but without it on a phone that's a deal breaker. Sure I could sideload. But that defeats the purpose of living within an ecosystem doesn't it? Plus sideloading has it's own issues with compatibility. Youtube for instance doesn't play nice with Amazon devices. I'd heard rumors that the phone would come with free data streaming for Amazon content. Now that would be a carrot. But it's not there. Apple seems to be the company that has done the best job with an ecosystem. But I've never been a Mac guy. Amazon is trying real hard, but they aren't there yet. I have a few months left on my HTC One M7 contract. I'll check it out again after an update or 2. But for right now it's a no-go.
    Last edited by kansas666; 06-21-2014 at 08:03 AM.
    Illustrator Joe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kansas666 View Post
    I am the customer for this phone. I live in the Amazon ecosystem. I have Fire TV, all 3 versions of the Kindle Fire and a plethora of Kindles. I also have Amazon Prime and Cloud Storage. I want a system that integrates my devices/TV/PC. I looked forward to the Amazon press conference with great anticipation. Unfortunately, I left disappointed. The phone has some great features and percs; Firefly, 3D, tilt scroll, Mayday, a free year of Prime. Some innovative engineering has gone into this phone and I believe some of it will be trend setting. But this phone has some gaping holes. I could live without Google on a tablet, but without it on a phone that's a deal breaker. Sure I could sideload. But that defeats the purpose of living within an ecosystem doesn't it? Plus sideloading has it's own issues with compatibility. Youtube for instance doesn't play nice with Amazon devices. I'd heard rumors that the phone would come with free data streaming for Amazon content. Now that would be a carrot. But it's not there. Apple seems to be the company that has done the best job with an ecosystem. But I've never been a Mac guy. Amazon is trying real hard, but they aren't there yet. I have a few months left on my HTC One M7 contract. I'll check it out again after an update or 2. But for right now it's a no-go.

The reason why there is no Google integration is the instant you wish to offer those services, Amazon would be bound to Google's guidelines and other requirements. Sideloading is the only way to get around that because that is done at the User level not at the company level.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

All the non-tech savvy people I know that have a smartphone have already gone apple. Maybe this is for the folks that still have dumb phones?
    The right price could have drawn them in, Maybe they will do something innovative with plans going forward.

Makes me wonder about Amazon and ATT merging in the future. This would be an interesting company.