The ATT 2yr contract for Fire phone is a SCAM!

John Chen2

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
Amazon.com Help
As you can see, it states "by upgrading to a 2 year wireless contract the customer is no longer eligible for the Mobile Share Value monthly discounts of $15 on plans lower than 10GB, or $25 on 10GB or higher plans."

So if you have the ATT 10GB family plan, you will lose $600 over the two year contract period($25*24= $600).

You really have to think about it before upgrading your old phone to a new 2 year wireless contract with ATT. They sure are sneaky!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Amazon.com Help
As you can see, it states "by upgrading to a 2 year wireless contract the customer is no longer eligible for the Mobile Share Value monthly discounts of $15 on plans lower than 10GB, or $25 on 10GB or higher plans."

So if you have the ATT 10GB family plan, you will lose $600 over the two year contract period($25*24= $600).

You really have to think about it before upgrading your old phone to a new 2 year wireless contract with ATT. They sure are sneaky!
Carriers have always done this. It's their way to move you off an older, and likely cheaper, plan to something newer. Doesn't surprise me, but hopefully consumers are being told up front about this.

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Amazon.com Help

you do realize that you can purchase it using their next program to get those discounts....

I work for their chat so I would know

John Chen2

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
you do realize that you can purchase it using their next program to get those discounts....

I work for their chat so I would know

If you really read AT&T's Next program carefully, you will know it is not cheaper than the 2-year contract.

The AT&T Next allows you to "trade in" your phone for a new one after 18 months (or 12 months, depending on your plan). At this point, you still don't own the phone. Only after 26 monthly payments (or 20 payments, if you choose AT&T Next 12-month), which roughly add up to the phone's original price, then you own the phone.

And some dude did a calculation on the 2yr contract and the Next plan comparsion:

Marcusman22 says:
Jan 23, 2014 at 1:40 am - 5 months ago

okay. here's some math for you for the iphone 5s 16gb:

let's estimate that a service plan costs $50 on contract.

NEXT 12:
$32.50 per month x 20 months = $650 for the phone
$50 - $15 for the discount = $35/month for the service x 24 months = $840
so after 2 years, the NEXT plan would cost you $650+$840=$1490

2 year contract:
$200 for the phone
$50 for the service x 24 months = $1200
so after 2 years, a 2 year contract would cost you $1200+$200= $1400

after 2 years, both plans are the same, because both are eligible for the $15 discount at that point.

and you're trying to tell me the next plan is better?

AT&T makes Next plans easier to get, still not a better value | iMore

And without the $15 or $25 discount per month, the gap is even bigger.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
If you really read AT&T's Next program carefully, you will know it is not cheaper than the 2-year contract.

The AT&T Next allows you to "trade in" your phone for a new one after 18 months (or 12 months, depending on your plan). At this point, you still don't own the phone. Only after 26 monthly payments (or 20 payments, if you choose AT&T Next 12-month), which roughly add up to the phone's original price, then you own the phone.

And some dude did a calculation on the 2yr contract and the Next plan comparsion:

And without the $15 or $25 discount per month, the gap is even bigger.

The math is wrong.

It is a 25 dollar discount per line not 15. It was done backwards

It should be 50 dollars -25 dollars. which results in another 240 dollars in savings. Meaning that your total cost would be 1250 vs 1400 dollars at the full cost of the plan.

Correction below data plan matters on overall savings.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Just noticed that it is 15 dollars for plans less than 10gigabytes. I have the 10gigabyte plan so it is 25 dollar discount per line.

So you do pay more if you are on a lesser data plan, if you have a 10gigabyte or greater plan, you always save money with the ATT Next Program.

Last edited:

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
The math is wrong.

It is a 25 dollar discount per line not 15. It was done backwards

It should be 50 dollars -25 dollars. which results in another 240 dollars in savings. Meaning that your total cost would be 1250 vs 1400 dollars at the full cost of the plan.

Correction below data plan matters on overall savings.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Just noticed that it is 15 dollars for plans less than 10gigabytes. I have the 10gigabyte plan so it is 25 dollar discount per line.

So you do pay more if you are on a lesser data plan, if you have a 10gigabyte or greater plan, you always save money with the ATT Next Program.

Yes, thank you. Someone who doesn't work for AT&T see's how the Next program works. Getting really tired of people like him. -.-
DRIVE ME INSANE.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Not many people have over 10 GBs of data.... so it's not worth it for many.

You thinking as an individual, my 10gb data is due to a family plan. It is probably much more common than you think, especially since the best price breakdown is at 10gb. There was a huge 152 pages thread at slickdeals about this. If you have a family plan and do the 6gb plan, you end up paying 20 dollars a month for 4 devices vs the 10gb plan.

Patti Young

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it is a total gimmick. Earlier this year AT&T offered to let contract customers move to the mobile share plan. With 3 lines on our family plan, it worked out so that we saved money. Then my son's phone went out of contract. It had been malfunctioning, so we decided to get him a new phone. Target had a Galaxy S4 for $.01 with a new contract. What a deal! The guy at the store offered to put it on the Next plan for $24/month, but we opted to go with a new contract and keep our plan the same.

Then I looked at this month's bill. Since we went with a contract instead of the Next plan, it lost the $25 discount on that line for the mobileshare plan. So basically, they get their money either way you do it. We could have added $24 to our bill by using the Next plan, or renewed the contract and lost a $25 discount. Sucks either way...:mad:

4runnerbrett

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
They don't tell you at target. Most people don't add in the $36 activation fee and the discounted price of the phone for the 2 year contract after adding those in the next program is always cheaper overall even if next program cost over $25

Posted via the Android Central App