Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Default Re: Anybody buy one?

I got my Fire phone a few days ago, and I am very surprised how good it can be. I side-loaded four core Google .apk files and in minutes I had Google play store fully functioning (no root required). Next I downloaded the Google launcher and made it my default launcher when the phone asked. Finally I downloaded (from Google Play) all the apps I currently use on my Nexus 4 and installed them. The phone now has Google now on the home screen, and looks and runs very much like a Nexus 5, but has Firefly, dynamic perspective, and Prime as well. So far only downside is the text fields on Google Maps is poorly rendered, so I use the nice maps program that comes with the fire. When Amazon released the KitKat version of the OS early next year, Bluetooth LS (4.0) will be enabled, which is my only other complaint at this point.

This phone was a great deal for $99 plus the $99 to renew my Prime subscription

Xyth: do you know of a tutorial for side loading Google Play?

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts

since loading google launcher have you been able to change wallpapers?

I havent.

thanks

I installed dodol Launcher and you can download themes that allow you to set a wallpaper. Not sure if you can set your own photos though. This is what my homescreen looks like.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody buy one?-screenshot_2014-12-18-19-27-50.jpg  

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts

thanks not sure whats wrong i tried that wallpaper also tried gravity but still won't change from black wallpaper.
    tried dodle, nova, and google now launcher NONE can I change from BLACK wallpaper.Odd.

Try Vire Launcher. Seems to be the most compatible if you want wallpaper and widgets. For me, who likes a low batery draining black screen, Google Now launcher is perfect.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12