8gb of space enough? External HDD?

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
All,

I am considering getting the Amazon Fire TV device, however, I'm concerned 8gbs of storage isn't enough. Since it has a USB connector in the rear, do you think it can support external HDDs?

J

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
All,

I am considering getting the Amazon Fire TV device, however, I'm concerned 8gbs of storage isn't enough. Since it has a USB connector in the rear, do you think it can support external HDDs?

J

The USB port doesn't support anything at this time.

ajavehas.jpg

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Something isn't right here, as the screenshot appears to be from the user manual.

From a Liquid Nexus 5

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
8gb...usable to the consumer? Or total including system?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That is not correct. Take a look at

Amazon Fire TV - XBMC

Keyboards, mice and game controller are working. But unfortunately no support for hard drives and USB sticks.

Have people actually used it? If So then the manual is wrong. I thought that keyboard etc is coming soon but not currently supported? Then again I haven't really followed this, so maybe a new development

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Have people actually used it? If So then the manual is wrong. I thought that keyboard etc is coming soon but not currently supported? Then again I haven't really followed this, so maybe a new development

I just purchased it last night and I'll see if I can attach a keyboard to it today.

J

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Any luck?

Sorry, didn't get the chance to see if it worked or not. I'll try tonight and post my findings. I have been able to pair the MOGA controller to it without any issues. Perfect for gaming.

J

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Any luck?

Ok, so I finally got around to checking if I could connect a keyboard to the Amazon Fire. I didn't try a bluetooth keyboard (batteries died) but I was successful using a wireless keyboard! It worked flawlessly and I didn't have to do any configurations. I plugged the wireless USB sensor into the USB port and voila! Worked! This weekend I'll try the bluetooth keyboard. Stay tuned :)

J

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the update. Did you try a flash drive to see what happens?

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the update. Did you try a flash drive to see what happens?

No, but I will. Another busy weekend. I did try the bluetooth keyboard (Apple) but didn't pair. Even though it is from Apple, I have had success pairing it with my Android tablet.

J

kremo

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Anyone figured out a way how to use USB flash drives? 8GB is really not that much of a space, specailly that not all of them is available for use. I connected a USB drive and nothing happens. I would be more happy with my fire TV if I could play my own videos from a hard drive or flash drive rather then upload them to amazon cloud.

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Anyone figured out a way how to use USB flash drives? 8GB is really not that much of a space, specailly that not all of them is available for use. I connected a USB drive and nothing happens. I would be more happy with my fire TV if I could play my own videos from a hard drive or flash drive rather then upload them to amazon cloud.

It's almost like they have given up providing updates to this device. I heard there was a recent one for tablet game support, but that's about it. Mine is collecting dust on the entertainment stand.

J