SEC Network on WatchEspn

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Anybody know when AFTV might push out the recent update for the WatchEspn app that provides SEC Network (and other new content). The mobile apps, Apple TV & Roku have already been upgraded. A call to Support was a waste of time.

sspence57

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Anybody know when AFTV might push out the recent update for the WatchEspn app that provides SEC Network (and other new content). The mobile apps, Apple TV & Roku have already been upgraded. A call to Support was a waste of time.

Heres the email i recieved in response to this exact question espn when i asked on August 20th

"Thank you for contacting us.

We apologize for the confusion. WatchESPN for Roku, AppleTV, Xbox and AmazonFireTV should all be receiving an update to include the SEC Network sometime this week. We were given 8/20/2014 as the date this should occur, however, updates usually happen on devices like this in 'waves' so it may not be updated immediately across the board. If you have not received an update by the middle of the week please let us know so that we research the issue further.

For live assistance with this or any other issue, please call Customer Care at 1-888-549-3776 (ESPN) between 8:00 am and 1:00 am EST.

Regards"

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I know - I've had 3 responses from them as well, all similar but all different as well. As long as it's in the works & happens "soon" I'm OK with it but hard is it to get a straight answer even if it's, "we don't know".

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
That is true, as long as it has been updated before wednesday i'll be okay, but i'm starting to doubt it will be.
Me too. I've been nagging Amazon and ESPN & trying to figure out where the truth lies. I can't determine whether ESPN has actually released it to Amazon or, if the Fire TV team is just slow to spool it out. The obfuscation of both of them is as annoying as it confusing. Getting a straight answer is near impossible and neither is willing to say what's really delaying things.

Sdk11010

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if anyone is interested but if you're willing to root your FTV (fairly simple) you can pull the updated APK from the Play store and sideload it into the FTV. It isn't optimized for the FTV, so you'll need to attach a USB mouse in order to navigate the app. Aside from that it looks and works flawlessly. Took me about 30 minutes total.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I got an email from ESPN this morning that said they were hopeful that the AFTV platform was upgraded this week -BUT- for the first time, put the ball squarely in Amazon's court by explicitly stating that it was up to the AFTV Development Team to get it done. I had a lengthy chat with Amazon and was promised a response from Development either by phone or email. On this, still waiting.

On rooting, I do know that is a possibility and while I have no problems with it in general, damned if I'm going to do it simply because they're sitting on their hands not taking care of business. If they want to tout the better specs, fine but it doesn't count for much when the competition has more content & better support. I realized a bit late that while Amazon is tops in many things on AFTV, they (so far) seem amateurish compared to Roku or (hate to admit) Apple TV.

Sdk11010

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Go to the play store on your phone or tablet, search for an app called APK Extractor. Download and install this app and the updated ESPN app. Then use extractor to extract the APK.

ARHogfan

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
It looks like the season will be over before we get an update to this app on the Fire TV. Very frustrating. I don't want to use a mouse to navigate the sideloaded standard Android app for WatchESPN. It shouldn't be taking Amazon this long to optimize the app for use the with the remote. Sad.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
It looks like the season will be over before we get an update to this app on the Fire TV. Very frustrating. I don't want to use a mouse to navigate the sideloaded standard Android app for WatchESPN. It shouldn't be taking Amazon this long to optimize the app for use the with the remote. Sad.
I'd suggest you call them up & let fly with your displeasure at this. It's ridiculous & inexcusable for a device touted for it's high-end specs to be dead last on updating the apps. FWIW, I alternate between phone calls & emails every day or so, may not help but yes, makes me feel better. They "say" they got the update 08-28-14 and will roll it out after adaptation to AFTV, gave an ETA of, "couple of weeks" - and, that was a week ago. Thanks for reminding me I haven't nagged them yet today now, where's the phone?