My take (review) of the Fire TV stick

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
It was very easy to set up, Amazon ships it already associated to your account, so it was already registered, so all I had to do was add it to my network. I like the fact the FireTV stick has the option to place this on my 5Ghz network so there was less buffering and the picture was crisp.

This also has screen mirroring which worked very well; it uses Mirrorcast (which the settings even state), it worked well on my Nexus 5, although Chromecast still has the better way to cast. I also have a Roku3 that recently got screen casting, but that is really buggy that I never use it, I can see me using screen mirroring on the FireTV stick.
I do have the full version of Allcast which I used on my Roku3 and that works vey well, I installed the Allcast Receiver on my FireTV stick, and it works great too.
Also, like Google Play, you can push apps via a web interface by logging into your Amazon account and pushing apps to the FireTV, you choose this from a drop down if you have other devices listed.

Most of the apps I tried were not games, I got a lot of games over the last two years, as I would get the Amazon free apps of the day, I might not install them on my Android device, but I had them in the Amazon cloud , and the ones compatible showed up, so far for the Fire TV stick there aren't a whole lot, the ones I wanted to play needs a controller, I don't have one, I played a chess game on it, and I don't know if it was the app or the stick., but it was buggy. A space shooter game I had in the cloud stated it was available to use with the Amazon remote, but it was not very usable, I need the controller.which brings me up to say this is a door into the Amazon store, I can watch Netflix, etc. but Amazon Prime movies, Music, etc. show up first, Now, I am tempted to buy the controller to play with the games I want to try, which is what Amazon wants you to do.

Like the Chromecast, the screensaver that comes up can show Amazon's own photos or you can have your own photos from the Amazon cloud come up if you have any stored in Amazon's photo storage cloud.
I do not have the voice controller, but I tested the Android app on my Nexus 5 and it worked very well.

So far for the price I paid, it is a very good product, but again it is a door into Amazon's store first and foremost, but that is not a bad thing, it is just what it is.IMG_20141119_152309 (1).jpg

Last edited:

xDonJuanx

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Hey did you try casting with any other devices? Mine works flawlessly with my Nexus 5 and OnePlus One. But I can't get it to work with my Nexus 7 or 9.

Posted via the Android Central App

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Hey did you try casting with any other devices? Mine works flawlessly with my Nexus 5 and OnePlus One. But I can't get it to work with my Nexus 7 or 9.

Posted via the Android Central App

No, just my Nexus 5 which worked great. I have a Vzw 1st gen Moto G, but haven't tried it yet.

xDonJuanx

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. With my Nexus 5 I have the "Enable Wireless Display" option. They other devices don't have the options, neither do they see the device.

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. With my Nexus 5 I have the "Enable Wireless Display" option. They other devices don't have the options, neither do they see the device.

I have a Roku3, and Roku only mentioned this functionality for the Nexus 4 and 5 along with certain Windows Phone models. I have a feeling my 1st gen MotoG does not have this or will not work, while the Nexus 5 and 4 do.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I got my Fire TV Stick yesterday and it looks to be ready to retire my Chromecast for almost everything but HBO GO and Google Play, which are the only things not supported. Yet.

I've got a Roku 3 as well which does it all and has the wonderful remote with the headphone jack so my g/f can sleep in peace while I watch TV, but that's $99 vs. $39. (I got it for $19.) The interface on the Stick is just a bit slower than the Roku 3 (I hear the Roku Stick is like cold molasses), but the advantages of the hardware remote vs. having to have a phone or tablet to control playback makes the FTVS a big winner over the Chromecast.

Where it really shines for me is that the Plex app I'd bought with free coins for Android also installs to the FTVS and the interface is a joy. Using Plex on my phone to Chromecast was always a hassle because the lock screen controls would always disappear or they'd lose sync leaving the TV playing back, but the app thinking it was disconnected. None of that has happened with the FTVS.

I'm still shaking it out and it may not be perfect for all users scenarios, but if/when those missing services get added, Chromecast is going to take a beating.

ItsThatBriGuy

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
On the Nexus 7 (2013), make sure the receiver is turned on, go to settings > display > cast screen, tap the menu dots, check "enable wireless display", then go to the Fire settings and enable screen mirroring there. Works like a charm, with a lag of less than half a second.

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
On the Nexus 7 (2013), make sure the receiver is turned on, go to settings > display > cast screen, tap the menu dots, check "enable wireless display", then go to the Fire settings and enable screen mirroring there. Works like a charm, with a lag of less than half a second.

I noticed that too on my Nexus 5, the lag was almost non existent.

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Update, my FireTV Stick failed, could no longer access wifi, Amazon could not fix it, and I already troubleshooted it myself before I called, so they are going to send me a replacement.
Amazon customer service was great, even though I was out of my return window, they said if I want they would give me my money back, but hey for the $20 I orignally paid, I mine as well get a replacement, because if I ever wanted one again, I would have to pay double.