How to tell if you have Kindle fire 1st gen or 2nd gen

mcross72

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone, I just won a kindle fire from work party but I can't find anywhere in the software that tells me what generation the tablet is. No hardware specs in the settings or anything. How do I find out. thanks

evan1982

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
if you turn it on and the unlock on the lock screen is in the bottom right it's a 2nd gen if it's part way up on the right and you swipe left it's first gen

Bobbi White

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I watch a log of Bollywood and Erosnow developed an all for Kindle Fire. However, it doesn't work on first generation.
When shopping online it doesn't specify the generation.
can. You help?

Arobsite

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Go into the middle of the home screen. If it is a first gen it will show the app or book that you are on as the last one, on the HD it will show the one in front of it.

Drew Everett

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
My swipe to unlock is exactly in the middle, and it goes from right to left. Your post mentioned either the top or the bottom..... So uh, which one do I have then?

THoek

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Found to be helpful from a different thread......

Stujoe says:
Aren't the User Interfaces quite different? I would think the most immediate way to tell is from the difference between a first and second generation is in the home screens. The Text Links at the top are different. The First gen starts with Newsstand and the Second Gen starts with Shop.

So, I would say:

1. Go to the Home Screen. Look in the Upper Left.

1a. If the First Link is Newsstand, you have a First Generation and you can stop there.

1b. If the First Link is Shop, you have a Second Generation. Proceed to 2.

2. If it is a Second Generation, look for the Volume Control buttons.

2a. If it has Volume Control Buttons, you have a Second Generation HD.

2b. If it doesn't have Volume Control Buttons, you have a Second Generation non-HD.

Does that sound right?

Amazon.com: Customer Discussions: Kindle Fire - Which do I have?

Samantha Byerly

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
ok was wondering this myself and while on amazon I found the answer.....flip your tablet over if it has the black bar running across the back that says Kindle you have the Kindle fire hd 7 (old 2012 model generation 1)..... the newer Kindle fire hd 7 (2013 model Generation 2) just has the Amazon logo on the back of the tablet hope that helps

Attachments

• kindle fire look up.jpg
    kindle fire look up.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 14

Jen Reed

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
HELP....

ok so I was looking on ebay for cases for my kindle fire. but then I noticed that it was asking what kind of kindle I have...

hd or not...?

7" or not....?

and im not sure how to tell what I have, I just thought it was a kindle fire. but I guess I was wrong.

it says AMAZON on the back...the slide lock is closer to the bottom right corner and it has volume buttons. so what kind of case do I look for.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante