Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Kevin Michaluk
  • 1 Post By darkmatter
  • 1 Post By dmmarck
  • 1 Post By crackberrytraitor
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Mobile Nations Chief Media Officer

Global Posts
    3,700 Global Posts

Default I played with the Kindle Fire HD and didn't get burned!

Seriously, it's true. That's because I was at the event in Santa Monica (Phil was in NYC for another event).

Overall, pretty solid tablet if your goal is consumption. It's really all about just sitting down and doing stuff - reading books, watching movies, playing games, etc. They definitely did a solid job on the hardware. They didn't skimp.

I find the UI a bit painful and inconsistent. It's sort of strange that while gearing the device to be for the mainstream average user, that they didn't make it easier for them to get back home. Depending on what app you're in, it changes. Easy to get used to I guess, but still seems odd.

I love some of the features they introduced. If I had kids I would totally take advantage of the FreeTime feature. And I really like the syncing feature for kindle books and audio books. Super clever.

They said on stage the Kindle Fire has 22% of US tablet share right now... so I'd expect to see these continue to do well. You get a lot for the money.
    Chief Media Officer, Mobile Nations
    Thanked by 2:
    Paul627g and threed61#WN like this.

Default Re: I played with the Kindle Fire HD and didn't get burned!

It does indeed look like a fun tablet. Might be something worth considering to pick up as a household tablet. My wife with all her constant online researching of books and reports for her college works could really benefit from a nice tablet like this.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

I ordered the 7 inch HD this afternoon, cant wait! I have Prime so I hope to have it on the 17th. Will the free time feature be able to block access to the market? My nephew was playing with my Thrive, and added a number of games to it without permission. I'd like to be able to prevent that.
    Last edited by threed61; 09-06-2012 at 09:57 PM.

One of the things that's drawing me to this over the Nexus7 is the HDMI output. Its a little thing, I know, but one I've grown to love with my phone.

My only concern is if I can get console emulators running on the kindle fire.
    sushiguy732 likes this.

The 7 inch fire HD seems inferior to the N7, however, I'll buy an 8.9 as soon as xda cranks out some sweet medicine in the form of a CM10 release.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Any word on hack-ability?

Sent from my Overly Suspicious Robotic Grouper

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    Any word on hack-ability?

I think we'll have to wait till some devs get their hands on the hardware.

Last edited by crackberrytraitor; 09-07-2012 at 02:37 AM.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by crackberrytraitor View Post
    I think we'll have to wait till some devas get there hands on the hardware.

Paging Jerry...

Quote Originally Posted by threed61 View Post
    Will the free time feature be able to block access to the market? My nephew was playing with my Thrive, and added a number of games to it without permission. I'd like to be able to prevent that.
    Before letting kids use my tablet I quickly & easily setup an App called "App Lock II Widget Pro"--> https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lop.protector3
    What it does is when they try to launch an App / game I've told them not to it blocks access but not in the usual way - instead of prompting a Password & Pin it pops up the Force Close message. That way not only does it keep them out, it also makes them feel guilty for crashing the App / game. Yeah it's a little mean, but hey, it's their fault for trying to launch it when I told them not to.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    Paging Jerry...

We need a Jerry review. That man knows his hardware.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    threed61#WN likes this.

Hadn't heard anyone mention the volume control. This was/is a big complaint with the orig Fire.

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

How mean would it be to implement the Free time feature on your spouse?

I am going to be honest i been using the nexus 7 since released, it is a nice tablet, but i do not use that man apps, mostly video on youtube netflix, and social networking facebook, tweeter and sometimes G+, and lastly the browser is very important and Google Chrome is really frustrating to me, it lags constantly and like what Alex Dobie said " its a butter-free browser" either google will have to improve it, or maybe Amazon has a better browser. Another issue I saw with the nexus 7 was the speakers some videos not even with volume+ you can get any good sound, so I am leaning towards the 8.9 fire HD with 32gb to store my videos and watch them with that stereo Dolby sound quality hoping stronger sound than the 7

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper1087 View Post
    I am going to be honest i been using the nexus 7 since released, it is a nice tablet, but i do not use that man apps, mostly video on youtube netflix, and social networking facebook, tweeter and sometimes G+, and lastly the browser is very important and Google Chrome is really frustrating to me, it lags constantly and like what Alex Dobie said " its a butter-free browser" either google will have to improve it, or maybe Amazon has a better browser. Another issue I saw with the nexus 7 was the speakers some videos not even with volume+ you can get any good sound, so I am leaning towards the 8.9 fire HD with 32gb to store my videos and watch them with that stereo Dolby sound quality hoping stronger sound than the 7
    Use a sound booster app. And if you don't like web browsing on the N7, you'll hate browsing on whatever Amazon devas have cooked up for their modded gingerbread OS.

Use a sound booster app. And if you don't like web browsing on the N7, you'll hate browsing on whatever Amazon devas have cooked up for their modded gingerbread OS.

I used volume+ and didnt help, now the fire HD is running ICS according to amazon cs, if the browser on my sgs3 is better than the one in the nexus there is a problem. We will have to see a side by side comparison.

Global Posts
    1,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gummy ICS

I used volume+ and didnt help, now the fire HD is running ICS according to amazon cs, if the browser on my sgs3 is better than the one in the nexus there is a problem. We will have to see a side by side comparison.
    You are correct.... The new HD's do have ICS.
    עם ישראל חי

So the HD will run a version of ICS. What about the Fire 2?

Quote Originally Posted by drewsammie View Post
    Hadn't heard anyone mention the volume control. This was/is a big complaint with the orig Fire.
    I think it will. The attached picture shows buttons on one of the sides. I think the top one is a volume rocker.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I played with the Kindle Fire HD and didn't get burned!-fire.jpg  

Use speakerbooster, it works fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by pistolpetefan23 View Post
    So the HD will run a version of ICS. What about the Fire 2?
    If you are referring to the orginal Kindle Fire but the price drop and better specs its looks to also be running the ICS version of Amazon OS.

Use speakerbooster, it works fantastic.

tried this, this app is worst than Volume + didnt help at all is like a little placebo but the sound doesnt work on youtube well and videos you add even though in my pc are fine on the tablet are really low, making it not watchable.

tried this, this app is worst than Volume + didnt help at all is like a little placebo but the sound doesnt work on youtube well and videos you add even though in my pc are fine on the tablet are really low, making it not watchable.
    Worked fantastic for me, what device are you using?

I heard that it cannot get to the Google Play Store therefore has no access to all the apps and games. It looks like it would be very comparable to the best Tabs if it could do that. I like the hardware of it with HDMI outputs and cams. But an Ad driven device limiting consumption to only the Amazon Store is a little Appleish for my tastes so I'll probably steer clear of this one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by darkmatter View Post
    One of the things that's drawing me to this over the Nexus7 is the HDMI output. Its a little thing, I know, but one I've grown to love with my phone.

My only concern is if I can get console emulators running on the kindle fire.
    Be sure you know what content can be outputted on that HDMI before you get your hopes up. I have a Razr Maxx with HDMI out. It will display Netfilx and Utube but it will NOT display Hulu or NFL Mobile. Has something to do with freakin DRM security I think. Anyway, just do the research first before you get your hopes up.
    "When you turn your Android on, does it return the favor?"

Hate to to say it, but there may be something wrong with your Nexus. We've had 4 go through our family, and all are VERY loud with Volume+ set at 9 or 10. As in so blaringly loud that I have to turn the volume down. You shouldn't be experiencing what you are.

And I must concur with my colleauges: I think the Kindle Fire HD will be a huge step down in overall experience. At least wait for the full reviews to come in before you order. Among other things, I imagine this device is going to lag like crazy, thanks to Amazon's terribly bastardized ICS skin. It will be that much more noticeable for you, seeing as you are coming from an Android 4.1 device.

I've played with both 7 and 8.9 inch.

If you liked the fire, You'll like the HD.

If you are invested in Amazon's MP3, video and bookstore then you'll be happy. I'd say very happy.

Will it replace a tablet for other uses? It could. But I like my iPad 3 for normal use and my Fire for occasional video consumption at lunch at work.

It's a great piece of hardware, but you have to know what you are getting. Having said that, you could put the app store on the original fire so that will probably happen to this version as well. That argument (can't get Gapps) is pretty weak. I sideloaded everything I needed from android on my last Fire.