Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

Default Are you going to preorder?

So have you preordered? Planning to?

I'm going to wait; I preordered my EVO 4G LTE and I'm not terribly thrilled with it. That's made me cautious and I'll wait to read the reviews before I make my decision on the 7" Fire HD.

How about you?

Default Re: Are you going to preorder?

Waiting to see if there's any word on the ipad mini next week. If not, will probably go ahead and order one for my son.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

Absolutely. This is the wrong place to have this tablet though. Everyone here is all about the Nexus 7 and i owned it and i wasnt impressed. The build quality is a joke and the capacity at max of 16gb? The screen quality is alright and battery life is ok. I mean i liked the tablet, but im looking for a secondary tablet for reading, movies and web surfing. I feel the kindle nailed it. My favorite feature is the dual band WIFI +MIMO and the anti glare feature.

Yeah. I pre-ordered the 8.9 Fire HD. I wish it was coming out at the same as the 7 inch one but I think it will be worth the wait.

Lol this post is a couple days late. Pre-ordered that sucker the hour Amazon put up the links to pre-ordered. Guess Amazon took a cue from Apple. Let people be able to pre-order when the hype is really high....it worked XD can't wait for it to be delivered

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Standard Android User. Not rooted, never will root, just....stop it

Wife preordered her 7 inch and i will place a preorder soon for the 8.9
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, One+, Venue Pro 8 & Nook HD+
    www.twitter.com/howarmat

Global Posts
    1,216 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gummy ICS

I pre-ordered the 8.9HD WiFi version but am on the fence about it. It has some nice specs, but the camera is only 1MP (others are about 2MP) and there is no SD card slot. Not to mention I am not sure I want to spend $369 to have ads on my tablet. My rationale behind pre-ordering it was, I can always cancel the order if something else comes out before then or I can use it for the 30 days and return it if I don't like it.
    עם ישראל חי

Yes I did. The Fire HD 32 GB 8.9 inch.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

Not me, though it has a lot of appeal, what with Amazon's wealth of content (though in fairness I can get most of that on my other devices). The non-starter for me is that there is no GPS, nor some other sensors, and it locks me in totally to Amazon and whatever they choose to "allow" me to do with this thing that I'll pay for, harkens back to Apple's control over the uses that people who buy their devices are in for. However, other specs are intriguing (particularly MIMO, though that is, of yet, of unproven value, though it does make great PR). Never count Amazon out though, they make good stuff, and living within their environment is not necessarily a "bad" thing. But I'll wait and continue to enjoy my Nexus 7 and Asus Infinity.

Like their data plan, not that the "basic" one with 250 Mb counts for much, but details are kind of weak on the upgraded plans (like how much is guaranteed to be at 4G/LTE speeds, can you use Skype with that data, etc.), but as time goes by, we'll all find out more. Would these products even exist without the competition provided by the Nexus 7 ? Don't know, we'll see what, if anything, Apple comes up with tomorrow. Personally, I think they'll throw their weight behind the iPhone "5", and not muddy the waters with a smaller tablet. And, I think that Amazon and Google have sent them back to the drawing boards a bit in terms of price and technical capacity.

Don't have a problem to pony up another $15 to opt out of home page ads, cheaper than I though they'd "cave" on this.

Just my two cents.

ROM
    unrooted 2.11.605.19

I pre-ordered 8.9 HD 32GB. HDMI out and 5GHz Wi-Fi were high on my wishlist
    LG EnV => BB Storm => BB Bold 9650 => HTC Thunderbolt
    all with extended batteries......

7" is too small for a tablet, but I would consider a 32GB 8.9" HD if I wasn't still happy with my Galaxy Tab from 2011.

ROM
    Android 2.3.7

No, I don't want to be locked into Amazon's worldview, even though I am a fan and most of my eBooks are in Kindle format. I am waiting for the Toshiba Thrive 7" to go down even further to about the same price as the ad-free version of the Kindle Fire HD ~$215
    Sony Xperia Ion w/ICS 4.0.4

I'll Past.

ROM
    Stock

I don't see anything compelling me to buy the Fire HD. Most of the new features are worthless to me.

I would like the higher resolution, but in general I am happy with my Fire, and my eyes aren't that great anyway.

I will wait at least another year before buying something new. By then there may be something with some features that make it worth paying for a new device.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Darwin View Post
    I don't see anything compelling me to buy the Fire HD. Most of the new features are worthless to me.

I would like the higher resolution, but in general I am happy with my Fire, and my eyes aren't that great anyway.

I will wait at least another year before buying something new. By then there may be something with some features that make it worth paying for a new device.
    really? better processor, better screen, more Ram, better OS android 4.0, better browser, better sound quality, whispersync on Movies, and games, Xray for movies and textbooks less glare, better battery and more storage.

Couldn't decide LTE or WiFi, so I preordered both ... 32Gb WiFi and 64Gb LTE. Will cancel one. Also preordered the Paper white.

I was fortunate enough to get a chance to play with one of these just the other day. I actually have a regular Kindle fire and decided to upgrade to the Kindle fire HD because of all the cool new features. I will say that while the build quality is much better and it's a lot thinner, I'm not entirely sure if the upgrade is necessary. I am still looking forward to it but I'm not sure if it was worth the extra money to buy it.

I got a chance to try out the immersion reading and I will say that it's quite cool. If you have the opportunity to buy a book that has it, try it it's really great.

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neotravy View Post
    I was fortunate enough to get a chance to play with one of these just the other day. I actually have a regular Kindle fire and decided to upgrade to the Kindle fire HD because of all the cool new features. I will say that while the build quality is much better and it's a lot thinner, I'm not entirely sure if the upgrade is necessary. I am still looking forward to it but I'm not sure if it was worth the extra money to buy it.

I got a chance to try out the immersion reading and I will say that it's quite cool. If you have the opportunity to buy a book that has it, try it it's really great.
    I have the original Fire and it sits on a shelf collecting dust. My wife has one but uses hers more often. I find I use my Acer A500 all the time. The compelling feature here is movies as there is no native Android app. It is the only thing I miss on my A500. I already run AmazonMP3 and the App store there. But to my question.

Given the upgrades, faster networking and everything you saw, was it more compelling (the 8.9 HD)? I wouldn't mind getting one...just don't want it to collect dust. I am still trying to figure out what to do with my original Fire.

I should be clear. I use my iPad for most of my tablet intensive usage. I use my fire for media consumption at work during lunch. So if you find yourself not using your original fire, I doubt that will be much of a difference with the new one.

It is a great piece of hardware, however, and I am still excited to get mine on Friday.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper1087 View Post
    really? better processor, better screen, more Ram, better OS android 4.0, better browser, better sound quality, whispersync on Movies, and games, Xray for movies and textbooks less glare, better battery and more storage.
    In short.... Yes, really!

You seem to assume that everyone uses their Fire the same way... For me, nothing you mention here is a significant enough issue with my specific usage to justify the expense.

Better processor... Not an issue for me, as I don't see any significant lag in anything I do.

Better display... possibly something I would be interested in, but not enough to spend $200+

Better browser... I don't go to any sites that tax the current browser very much, but the claim of better performance does intrigue me. But again, not enough to spend $200+

RAM and Storage...I am only using about 1/2 of my available RAM and about 5% of my storage now.

My battery already lasts all day for my typical usage... and charging overnight is not an issue.

Android 4.0... Not compelling to me, if I really was concerned with the Android version, I would root my current Fire.

For movies, I use this thing called a television... I have little interest in watching movies on a tablet that I can only use at home (I have no interest is streaming at the cafe/restaurant or other hotspots). And I wouldn't pay for 4G to get the ability to watch movies elsewhere.

Whispersync for games... I have no need. I already have it for books (but don't use it) and would have no need for it on movies.

Xray will be interesting in a year or two when more content is designed to support it...

However, with all that said, I do find myself fighting the temptation to preorder the HD anyway, just because it is the latest...

I hope those buying for the better specs are happy, and that it leads to an even better product down the road. It is just not the time for me to upgrade.